Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-19-2007, 01:33 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 275/202/140

Height: 5'2"

Default Walking Poles

Womans World magazine had an article on them, sometimes called Trekking or Nordic Poles. Has anyone used them to inhance your walking? The article and what I've been reading on line says you can burn up to 40% more calories and reduce the stress on your knees, ankles, hips and back. Now that the weather is getting nice here I would like to do more outdoor walking, from what I'm reading it may be worth investing in a set.
wanna b thin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 01:45 PM   #2  
Life's tough Get a helmet

S/C/G: 195/195/145

Height: 5'3"

My mom was just telling me about that exact same article. She said she was in the grocery store and ended up buying that magazine. As a matter of factm, she said she wanted the poles for mother's day, so i am going to get them for her!
Spunkster5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 01:58 PM   #3  

If poles are what it takes to get someone moving more, then they work.

Whether they "reduce stress on your knees, ankles, hips and back"? I doubt it. First, there's not much stress on your lower body in walking. Walking is low impact, you're not hitting the ground with a lot of force. Second, if your lower body is weak or fragile enough that you can't walk, how likely is it that your upper body is going to be any more sturdy or strong?
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 03:26 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Don't know about the article, but I use them when I go hiking. I've got some balance issues that they help with, plus I can rest on them should I need to. I got Lekki poles at REI. In my case, they do seem to reduce stress on knees when I'm going downhill.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 01:38 AM   #5  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I saw a blurb on these awhile back in First. They weren't claiming the poles were to help your upper body, but to give you more of a workout, by working more of your body. Kinda like a ski machine, where you work both your upper and lower. Makes you move your arms more.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 10:20 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 275/202/140

Height: 5'2"

Thanks for all the input. I've been walking since it is finally nice out and I thought they might make it more benifical and even eaiser since I walk on a graveled road. I'll have to research them more.
wanna b thin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 03:23 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 300/270/140

Height: 5'8

Default I am trying them out

I just purchased a pair of nordic walking poles. I am waiting for them to arrive. I'll let you know how it works out.
Cassia is offline   Reply With Quote