Old 03-03-2007, 06:56 AM   #1  

Height: 5.6

Default Need some advice/opinions - I AM SO CONFUSED

Hi everyone!

Need some opinions on some things that I have been told lately:

1) That there is no way possible to lose 50 pounds by August, that it is not possible to lose 8-10 pounds a month/every month.

Okay - I figure it is possible if I can lose two pounds per week - which my understanding is the goal is to lose 1-2 pounds per week. So, am I aiming too high? There are at least 25 weeks until August.

2) That I will not lose weight unless a minimum of 45% of my daily calories are protein and that most beans do not really count because because they have more carbs than protein.

I am so danged lost on the protein issue - I figured that we needed a certain number of grams of protein every day and that as long as I read the packaging or looked up the information and came close, that I would be okay.

3) That I am preventing my weight loss by making between 80 and 90% of my food vegetables. Then comes multi-grain/complex carbs, then fruit, then dairy/meat. But, I drink milk most every day, eat cheese, take my multi-vitamin (plus a few supplements - to help prevent soreness).

Advice/Opinions????
Penney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 07:13 AM   #2  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

Hi Penney

Who told you these things? Friends? Family? or was it a doctor or a health professional?

Here's my opinions
1) "NOT POSSIBLE" is not in our vocabulary Anything is possible really! Realistically... eveyone is different and everyone goes through different types of things to reach their goal. Is your goal of 50lbs by August realistic? I don't know. Only YOU can be the one to decide that. I know from my own experience that one tends to lose more weight in the beginning of a lifestyle change and many people hit plateaus before they reach their goal. Thinking in terms of possibilities is great... it's when we have EXPECTATIONS that are not realistic that we tend to get discouraged. So, give yourself time and space to think and put yourself in that realistic spot. Figure out for yourself what is POSSIBLE for you and don't let anyone tell you otherwise! (Tip: Go UNDER what you want - for example 30lbs by August, then everything after that is a bonus!)

2) My personal opinion on this: NOT true. Beans are a wonderful sense of protein and a GOOD carb. Beans are Superfood! Maybe there is someone out there who is a professional who knows more about this stuff but I have to say I whole(foods ) heartedly disagree that beans don't count.

3) I also do not personally agree with this either. We NEED fruit and vegetables. I do not know about the percentages, but getting enough f&v is crucial, in my opinion. Meat and Dairy are on the lower end of the scale for me, simply because the fat content isn't the best fat that one can eat/drink.

I am a Lifetime Weight Watcher so I've never really followed any other plans out there. I read Superfoods RX though recently and have been following a more whole foods approach to changing my diet AND exercising every day AND drinking plenty of water. I eat a lot of veg, beans, complex carbs, proteins such as nuts and I have to tell you I don't even MISS empty carbs or sugar at all. I feel good and I know I am the one who determines what is possible for me, not anyone else!

Good luck!!
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 07:30 AM   #3  
Meg

Penney, there are as many opinions on weight loss as there are people, as I guess you've found out! Take a deep breath and realize there aren't very many 'rights' or 'wrongs' when it comes to losing weight ... most of it is a gray area that depends on what works for YOU.

That being said, I'll take a stab at your questions - of course, these are my opinions only.

1. I think it's possible to lose 50 pounds by August. I started out close to your weight and lost my first 50 pounds in 16 weeks (I also lost 5" off my waist and 9" off my hips in those 16 weeks). But it all depends on how fast your body is willing to give up the fat. Sometimes we do everything right and the scale just won't move - or it won't go as fast as we like. That's why most people will tell you that it's better to set behavior goals than weight goals - you can control your behavior but you can't control how the scale reacts.

2. Recommendations for protein intake range from 10 - 35% of your daily calories. Some studies have shown that a higher protein level (30%) will help with fat loss and preserving muscle mass. But it's silly for someone to say that you won't lose weight unless your protein is a certain magical %! I personally eat more like 40-45% protein but that's just what works for me. Experiment and find out what you're comfortable with and what gives YOU the best results.

And yep, I count the protein in beans. Why not?

3. Your diet sounds very healthy! My only concern would be your protein intake, but if you're tracking and making sure you're getting a sufficient amount then you should be fine eating the way you are.

My advice to you is to keep on doing what you're doing. If you're losing fat, obviously you're on the right track. If things aren't working, that's when you can think about tweaking. Soemtimes the best thing to do is to put your fingers in your ears to block out all the unsolicited advice and do things your own way.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 07:43 AM   #4  

Thanks Renee and Meg - it was so good hearing that just maybe I am not completely screwed up in my thinking.......

Actually - it was a trainer that was telling me this - but to be honest - I don't know how much training they have had, they follow one particular program/train of thought. So, I don't know if the training is strictly by that organization or what.

I agree with you about the whole foods - which is what I have swapped to and to be honest - even though my numbers are moving PITIFULLY slow - I have felt better than I have in a very long time. At my monthly weigh-in in mid-Feb - I gained 2.5 lbs but I lost like almost 3 inches. I am doing strength training at home (still not up there with the big kids - but I am working towards that). And this morning I stepped on the scale and I was down 2 pounds

I probably should increase my protein intake - I have been trying to get in about 15 grams (reading the packaging there) after I work out and I generally have 1 fake egg (Egg Beaters or Better Than Eggs) most mornings. Also, I am trying to get 1 or 2 servings of beans a day - sometimes I make it, sometimes well.....

Right now, August is a big issue for me and 50 is like a magic number - I am going to have to think about maybe adjusting my sights and goals, but that has become like my sole focus recently.....
Old 03-03-2007, 07:50 AM   #5  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

I love that Meg posted in here too - she's an AWESOME inspriation!

And your attitude is great Penney! Besides, only you really know what is right for you. I can't say if your trainer was "right" or not - personally I think we all have to find our own way that works for us.

I feel better than ever too! I'm focusing on the scale LAST - of course it's important that we lose weight too, but it's so EXCITING that you have lost INCHES and you are moving and eating right!!
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 08:45 AM   #6  
Almost the Big 50!

S/C/G: Goal of 150!

Height: 5'8"

Meg gave you good advice....could not have said it better...
CyberGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 08:52 AM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Well I think a lot of great things have already been said. Just to add my 1/2 cent. I have lost 100 lbs in 6 months. And no this is not the norm, or was it my aim. My aim was to exercise and eat right. I have done those things and the scale has been friendly to me. So I think it IS possible to lose 50 by August. Although I am wondering why you have put a time frame on your weightloss.

I also don't see your water intake mentioned in here. I know this is another area where there are many different opinions, and they're all correct. But I know for me, I drink a lot of water and I find it very beneficial.

I also eat tons of veggies, more then anything else all day long. And I aim to eat protein at every sitting. I'm also not sure why you are so focused on beans. Is it that you like them? Because if yes, well then that's fine. Me personally, I have barely, barely touched them in the past 6 months. I personally would rather get my calories elsewhere. But again to each his own.

Just curious, do you know how many calories a day you are actually eating? It might benefit you to track things for a few days on Fitday.com and see where you stand on that.

I'm glad you saw a drop in the scale. That's great. Some of lose slower then others, that's just life. It sounds as if you are eating very well and are moving. No one, absolutely no one can tell you what you should be doing for you. Everyone's a critic and everyone's an expert. A lot of it is personal preference, trial and error and how things are working for YOU.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 09:42 AM   #8  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Hi Penney,

You've gotten some great advice here from women who have lost major pounds. Dr. Phil's saying is so appropriate here, "So, how's that working for you?" You feel better than you have in a long time and you've lost inches. Seems like its working very well for you. And, as proven by so many of our 3FC friends, 50 lbs by August is possible. Maybe that trainer hasnt had much contact with serious life style changers like us?
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 09:50 AM   #9  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Just want to throw in my 'penny' too . . .

Your plan sounds fine . . . maybe a little more protein would serve you well . . . it really helps to keep you full and to fight the cravings.

As already mentioned, everybody loses at their own pace. Both Meg and Robbin have been losing quickly and there is no reason to think that you will not be able to do the same. For me . . . I lose incredibly slowly . . . but I do lose and that is the most important part to me. It has taken me 14 months to lose 50 pounds . . . but don't start thinking you will be like me . . . first, I'm older than dirt (64) and it's definitely a known fact that your metabolism slows as you age; and secondly, I'm diabetic; taking bunches of meds and insulin injections and all of those slow your weight loss, too.

I know you have an important goal you want to meet for August and I really hope you do it. Don't let anyone convince you that you can't . . . but just remember . . . whatever you lose between now and then; whether it is a little more or a little less than what you hope; you will be so much healthier and happier by then, you will amaze youself. Go, girl, go.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:40 AM   #10  
Believe

Height: 5'7"

You've gotten some great input - especially from Meg - so there's not much I can offer except my answers to your questions.

1. Yes, I believe that it's possible. But go in with your eyes wide open. Even if you don't lose 50 lbs by August any loss (weight or inches) will be better than nothing.

2. They do count!

3. Your food intake sounds healthy to me but I agree with Meg & meowee that you may want to add a little more protein to your intake (and beans do count as protein as do nuts! )
melsfolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:49 AM   #11  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I agree.

As for your August goal. The biggest danger of having a "goal by" date is that, it can become obsessive. Also, if progress towards the goal slows, or you have fears of "not making it in time," you can be sorely tempted to either do very stupid things to reach your goal or giving up entirely. Also if the "date" itself becomes THE goal, then it becomes very tempting to relax or take a break after the date (that then can then lead to full-on backsliding).

Far better to decide what/how you should be eating and exercising, and working hard to meet those goals, and let the weight take care of itself at whatever pace it will. If you're determined to lose at "maximum speed," until August, I think you should decide ahead of time, the "line" you will not cross (maybe a calorie minimum, bulimic behavior...) no matter how desperate you are to lose the weight.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 11:11 AM   #12  
Skinny Chick in Training

S/C/G: 191/178-182???/145

Height: 5' 9"

I wanted to chime in here about the beans, yes they count but make sure to count them as protein AND carbs. I think they are some of the perfect (nature made) foods you can eat as they include nearly everything you need to live. It seems to me that there are a lot of differences in opinion when it comes to protein, but when it comes to veggie protein it gets even more confusing. I used to be vegan and man it was hard to get a straight answer. I doubt if anyone really knows exactly how it works. They say a bean and a grain will complete the amino acids and makes a complete protein but I think there are carbs left over. Using FITDAY would really help I think.

I am aiming for 2 lbs a week too, I am getting the same critisism about how it is to fast yet as you said the doctors say no more than 1-2 lbs a week... so go fig. I never had a problem maintaining (just losing) so lifelong changes really don't apply to me. I just want to get off this weight and get on with my life. I know I am ready to do it and I know I am not going to ever gain again. 2 years ago I wasn't. It's hard to explain but its like something just clicked. And if I can be Vegan for 3 years I know I can do this! So listen to yourself and you body. If your body isnt liking the quick weight loss, slow down. If it is sayin "**** ya" then GO FOR IT! Sumi
sumisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 12:03 PM   #13  

You people are so AWESOME - the amount of support you get here never fails to just renew a person. THANK YOU!

Okay - to answer some questions posed to me -

Water - I never fail to get at least 64 ounces and I always go for more - I don't really track it after 64 - I figure that's bonus.

Beans - Why? Because I had been told in the past that they were a great source of protein and I don't feel compelled to add on extra side dishes like I do when I cook meat... so if I make a meatless dinner - I feel that I am hitting all the bases and if I make some as a side-dish, I thought that I would be making a better choice.... does that make sense?

The goal date - long story short - I have a function that I have to attend in August - no option - but I have to deal with someone that finds it necessary to go on and on about my weight-gain, "what happened, how could I do that" blah blah - in general makes it a point to embarrass me and I can't deal with that anymore. When I was thin - it was other ways of messing with me - but those I could deal with better. If I just lose the weight I can say "Look I am losing weight, your still unbearable - mine is fixable, what about you?"

Obsessive - Once upon a time, a really really long time ago - I was anorexic - I will NEVER go that way again........ I have hit rock bottom thin, I have hit rock bottom heavy - I just need to get in the middle and it will all be good.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:10 PM   #14  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Good Girl . . . losing a bunch by August is certainly achievable . . . the actual number is not the goal . . . being obviously thinner is, and, that one you will definitely achieve.

You can show the person what you're made of . . . kiddo . . . and you are soooooo right; she (an assumption) cannot overcome obnoxious nearly as easily.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 01:30 PM   #15  
Starting over 3/24/2017

S/C/G: 329/ticker/140

Height: 5' 5"

The only thing I can think to add to this is - if you DON'T lose 50 by August but you change all your old habits to healthy ones, you can still say "Look what I have done." You can prove that you have taken control of your present and future by making some of the hardest changes around - eating habits! In our culture it is difficult to do because we are surrounded by food that, for the most part, is not healthy at all. While I believe it is totally possible to lose 50 # by August, I think the most important thing you could acheive by then is a new way of eating that most of the folks you will be seeing probably wouldn't even attempt much less try. So...kudos to you! You are well on your way!!

**One thing to keep in mind: If you are like me and have hypothyroidism, your scale numbers may not move as quickly as others. HOWEVER, I will say that my inches lost have continued to go down even when the scales don't. So, if you aren't measuring yet, you may want to try this method of tracking to know that you are making progress.
RitzyFritz is offline   Reply With Quote