The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 12-24-2006, 08:46 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 270/157/160

Default 1st Female Biggest loser Champion

Jodie has won the Biggest Loser UK and proved in rather convincing fashion that a woman can win at that game. She lost an amazing 46.9% of her body weight. To put into perspective for those familiar only with the US series in which a handful of contestants topped 50%, she did it in 6 months vs. the 9 months this year's US contestants had.

Another huge difference was the financial incentive. The UK show obviously does not have the same bankroll as the US version as the winner only receives 25,000 lbs.

Jodie was a true inspiration and played the game the way I thought it should be played, voting with her heart not her head. She didn't vote out the biggest threat. She voted to keep those who she felt deserved to be there or who she wanted to be there. (Of course, who knows if she would have done the same if the financial stakes were as great as the US Biggest Loser).

On a side note, for those who really missed Jillian Michaels this year, you would probably love UK trainer Angie Dowds. Same tough training philopsophy and hard exterior with a caring, supportive side beneath it. She had her contestants flipping tractor tires, swinging sledgehammers, and utilized kettlebells frequently.

Don't know if a link to the Biggest Loser UK site is appropriate. If not, please remove.

http://www.livingtv.co.uk/biggestloser/

Last edited by Depalma; 12-24-2006 at 03:19 PM.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:25 AM   #2  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Thanks for sharing this! Congrats to Jodie!
Old 12-26-2006, 12:47 PM   #3  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

I was hoping to see some before and afters on the website. Did I miss them maybe. It's great to hear that a woman won. Sometimes on the US version it seems like the women don't really have a chance to win because the men are so much heavier to start out with. But she did great anyway, didn't she!
Old 12-26-2006, 08:27 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 270/157/160

Not specific before and afters that I could see, but it shows a handful of pictures taken throughout the season here http://www.livingtv.co.uk/health-and...loser-gallery/. To see Jodie's transformation, the picture in the top row, 2nd colum shows her in what appears to be week 1 (she's the lone women among the guys in the red), the picture in the top row far right is her in another fairly early picture. The bottom row, the last 2 columns onthe right are her at the final. Alone on the final right and with the other two finalists Lee and Ben on the second to right.