Old 10-04-2006, 11:48 AM   #1  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

Default So? I just need to stop eating?.....

okay.....I need some advice. I'm quite knowledgeable on lots of weight loss articles but something my MIL said this morning by phone has got me confused with a contradiction. She was telling me that my SIL (going through a divorce) is now a size 1 from a 12, has just over 50 lbs and now weighs 105 lbs. When I asked how's she's doing, MIL says....well she's just not eating. My questions or discussion is....if you stop eating, your body goes into starvation mode. At least thats what all the articles say, well at what point does it then just kick up and start losing weight again AND keep losing weight? I know she eats, but she has stopped the "eating while stressed/bored, and fast food eating" she used to do all the time so that has contributed to her weight loss and she recently found out she has certain allergies to beef and beef byproducts, to which she has cut out of her diet. The conversation made me feel like....if I just stopped eating, then I could be like SIL. Not a good feeling I had after the phone call. Any comments?
angel-eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 12:24 PM   #2  
future triathlete

S/C/G: 187.5/148.5/129

Height: 5'2"

Yeah.... not eating is generally an eating disorder. Obviously your body needs to burn something, so even though it'll try to hold on to fat for survival it'll use the rest of your body for fuel (muscles and organs, basically, which is why people wiht eating disorders often have internal problems). It looks like you've done pretty well so far, so I'd stick to what you're doing. I know it's tempting to do something that'll be fast, but in the end that mindset can really harm you (trust me - I've been in the hospital because of it), and you'll end up without having developed healthy, maintainable eating habits that you can use for the rest of your life.
sierra_ttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 12:51 PM   #3  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

she is losing all muscle. Skin and bones is not a good look.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote