Old 07-06-2006, 03:01 PM   #1  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Default diet sodas

I know this can be a touchy subject for some. I just want your opinions please.
My dh drank regular coke .. about 6 cans a day. It's been 2 weeks and we thought he would be losing weight like crazy. He is over 100lbs over weight like myself. But it's not happening. It's been two weeks. He has been drinking diet cherry coke. I've heard that diet coke can be very bad for you - and your body doesn't know what to do with it - even though it has zero calories.

So.. I was told.. put him back on regular and slowly take him off it. I've heard regular soda is better then diet soda - even with the extra calories. ie. drink one less soda daily.

I just don't understand why he hasn't really lost a ton of weight. I make all his meals for him - his food intake has not changed.

help!

Dana
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:06 PM   #2  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

I read this.. and it just got me thinking...

http://nancymarkle.com/fatter/
Old 07-06-2006, 03:14 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

I've heard about people GAINING weight when they've switched from regular to diet soda, something about the aspartame and other artificial sweetners. I'd say try switching to something like iced tea or juice? I believe they both have less sugar than soda. How's his diet? Is he eating enough food? I know my boyfriend eats SO much food, but as long as he eats regularly he loses weight. Maybe entering his food into fitday, see how much he's having. Good luck!

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:24 PM   #4  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

My body seems quite happy with consuming diet sodas....IMHO the important thing is that 12 oz regular soda = 150 calories....12 oz diet soda = 0 calories....I'm to the point now where regular soda tastes nasty.

I would venture a guess that either it will simply take more than two weeks to start losing...has he maintained the weight he is currently at for a while? Or has he been gaining? Maybe removing the sodas simply took him to his maintenance calorie level. He needs to create a calorie deficit in order to lose. The only way to really know would be to log the actual calorie consumption...or wait it out a couple more weeks. Tell him congrats for me on quitting regular sodas - I do think it is a good first step towards weight loss.

It was an interesting article, though. Thanks for sharing it!
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:31 PM   #5  
Meg

I lost 122 pounds while drinking diet soda (average of two per day) AND a pot of coffee every day. Guess my body is like Gina's!

Seriously, weight loss boils down to calories in versus calories out. If DH isn't losing, it's because he's still eating the same amount (or more) calories than he burns off in a day. Would he consider adding or increasing exercise? It would help build that calorie deficit that he needs for weight loss.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:34 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 180.5/157.5/145

6 cans regular soda x 150 calories x 7 days per week = 6300 calories per week. So, if that's the only change he's made to his diet, he'd have a 6300 calorie deficit each week (unless he's eating other stuff to make up for the loss of the soda), which would equal a little less than 2 pounds per week. If he's lost 3 or 4 pounds in the last two weeks by losing the soda and not changing anything else, he's right on track.
kateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:48 PM   #7  

Do not drink regular pop.
what hogwash... Your body doesn't know what to do with high fructose corn syrup, which is what regular pop is... SUGAR WATER.
if you want to gain weight and be diabetic, keep drinking sugar pop.
Calories make you fat - sugar pop has calories, so don't drink it.
No person can expect dramatic weight loss from simply from cutting out sugar pop - it can happen, but that shouldn't be an expectation. I agree that your husband might be maintaining now instead of gaining; or perhaps he is consuming extra calories elsewhere to make up for what the lack of calories from beverages (I doubt that you control everything that goes in his mouth).
I saw on Oprah a few months back - she had Dr. Oz on, and he said that when you consume a regular soda with a meal, you will eat more of your meal than if you drank a non-caloric beverage; it is all an effect of the high fructose corn syrup. Here's the link: http://www2.oprah.com/health/yourbod..._350_202.jhtml

Sorry to sound to crude, but I'm not gonna beat around the bush.
buckettgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 04:12 PM   #8  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

wow.. I knew this was going to be a hot topic... thanks for the input ladies!
Old 07-06-2006, 04:49 PM   #9  
No Excuses/No Whining!

S/C/G: 333/263/185

My biggest reason for switching to diet soda instead of regular soda was simply the gross amount of empty calories i was consuming each day. I was totally unaware that i was DRINKING the amount of calories i should be eating.. its crazy how that works sometimes. ... so i started drinking diet soda.. to eliminate the crazy amount of empty calories i was consuming. maybe your husband simply is not in a calorie deficiet yet.. has he figured up his BMR.. and then any activities he does?
Im with the whole philosophy that less calories in equals weight loss. You have to expend more than you take in. It actually takes a LOT of calories a day for me to maintain at my current weight. Once i figured that out, and took a good hard look at what i WAS eating.. it all became clear
Im def a calorie counter now.. ive read it takes 3000 cal burned to equal a pound of weight loss (correct me if im wrong here).. so i just have been figuring it out rather scientfically.. and im AMAZED that my body is cooperating.. lol..
I still have a nasty caffiene addiction... and i get headaches and cranky without it.. i SHOULD break that addiction.. i know.. but for now.. Diet soda is gonna have to do it for me..
One addiction at a time
supernurse_mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 05:50 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I have weened myself down to 1 or 2 diet sodas a week. I think for me it is the need to drink more water. I am a beleiver in water and soda no matter if it is diet or full sugar is going to make you drink less water. Water is one of the most important things for weight loss. I don't think that he should go back to regular soda but maybe should ween himself a little from the diet. I am not saying you need to go as drastically as I did, but...I drank 5 or 6 diet sodas a day for a long time and before that it was full calorie. I did not loose while drinking the diet soda, but I did not gain as much either.

Trish
trishn222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 06:13 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernurse_mommie
ive read it takes 3000 cal burned to equal a pound of weight loss (correct me if im wrong here)
3500 actually....(Not to be pedantic or anything )

I have heard that diet soda = weight gain as far back as the 80's. These are just old myths revived.
Safora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 06:42 PM   #12  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

What do you mean losing weight like crazy? If he's made no other changes, giving up the six sodas a day would equate to only be about 3 to 3.5 lbs over two weeks. When you're over 100 lbs overweight, your weight can fluctuate more than that on it's own. It could take more than a couple weeks to notice the difference.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 07:30 PM   #13  

Height: 5'6"

I too was a huge Diet Coke drinker, I think that some people may gain weight drinking Diet Sodas simply because it makes them want to eat more food, but the Diet Soda in and of itself will not make you gain weight. I gave up most of my Diet Sodas for the same reason that Trish did, because it meant I wasn't drinking water. I too have a couple a week now and while I did go through the headaches, etc when I gave it up, I don't have them anymore and rarely have a problem getting my water in. I also notice my thirst more than I did when I was taking a lot of Diet Coke in every day, and I know that drinking a lot of water is a lot healthier than drinking a lot of Diet Coke. I am guessing that your husband is probably making up the calories elsewhere, or like someone else said he's simply maintaining now rather than gaining or his body just hasn't caught up and started losing a bit each week. I would definately not suggest he go back to drinking sugar soda, although I'm like Gina and simply don't like the taste of regular soda myself, but probably what he needs to do is keep track of what is going in his mouth throughout the day. Maybe if he kept track of all his calories for a week he'd see what he's really taking in and what he needs to do to lose some weight.
MelodyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 07:48 PM   #14  
No Excuses/No Whining!

S/C/G: 333/263/185

Quote:
3500 actually....(Not to be pedantic or anything )
aha! well.. hmm.. back off to the mathmatical calculations.. :P

laugh if you must.. but keeping my brian busy helps me not eat

thanks
supernurse_mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 07:52 PM   #15  
I don't even own a wagon.

S/C/G: 363/277/200

Height: 5'11"

Everyone's pretty much chimed in this vein, but just wanted to add my statistic: 75 lbs down so far with drinking an average of 4-6 dc's a day.
andoreth is offline   Reply With Quote