Old 06-29-2006, 05:20 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Default 100% whole wheat bread

I read the following in my newest issue of More Magazine (for women over 40). Yikes! Both my favorite 100% whole wheat English muffins and 100% whole wheat bread have HFCS as one of the top 4 ingredients. I guess I'll have to break out the old bread machine!

Hold the Whole Wheat Bread Overeat by as few as 50 calories a day and you'll put on pounds. "Most premenopausal women can afford 100 to 200 empty calories each day," says Elisa Zied, RD, a spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association. "After menopause, women need more nutrients, but 100 to 200 fewer calories." A painless fix: Check labels for high fructose corn syrup, often found in high-calorie, low-nutrient processed foods. Preliminary evidence suggests that the ubiquitous sweetener may increase appetite and body-fat accumulation by altering hormones. To keep weight steady, limit foods that list HFCS in the top six ingredients. Watch for it everywhere, not just in sugary-tasting foods: It's found in frozen pizza, whole wheat bread, and hamburger buns, as well as in many condiments such as ketchup and salad dressing.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 06:24 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 250/230/150

Default Healthy alternatives?

Does anyone know of any healthy 100% whole wheat bread , that tastes good?
Lady_Effinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 07:59 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

The baker! The bread is expensive but worth it. They add juice, I believe, but even that is near the end of the list of ingredients. I usually buy 100% whole wheat bread that is 35-40 calories per slice but even those tend to have HFCS. "The Baker" though is 50 calories per slice and no added sugar except a bit of juice.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 10:45 PM   #4  

Okay, is "the Baker" a brand or something you pick up from your local bakery?

I did go shopping today and checked the labels on several 100% whole wheat breads and finally found one without HFCS. I don't remember the calories per slice, though. I couldn't pass up my favorite English muffins just yet--I only discovered them last week! Perhaps after this new package, I'll have had my fill!
Old 06-30-2006, 09:22 AM   #5  
Just Me

"The Baker" is a brand.
http://www.the-baker.com/Default.aspx

I bought their hamburger buns (@ 120 calories per bun), then I bought their sliced whole wheat bread.

I found the ingredients for the bread I bought and here it is:
INGREDIENTS

organic stone-ground whole wheat
water
wheat gluten
organic whole rye
wheat bran
sea salt
oat fiber
olive oil
yeast
organic apple cider vinegar

I guess I was wrong about the juice, it was apple cider vinegar that they added. So as far as I can tell, they add no sweeteners.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:08 AM   #6  

Thanks for the tip on The Baker, but I checked, they don't sell that brand out here in California. Guess I'll be reading a lot of labels until I find the right kind!!!!
Old 06-30-2006, 12:09 PM   #7  
Proud Army Mom!

S/C/G: 202/185/165

I think the "good" in whole wheat out weighs the "bad" (as for HFCS). It is still the better choice in bread, if you can't afford or don't have access to the expensive stuff like Bakers. And if you are restricting the HFCS in all other food areas, this little bit in the bread can't be that bad, but I'm no expert, it just seems logical. I have found that so many of these "health experts" end up contradicting each other alot, so I don't pay much attention to them. Not to mention we already know that its easier to gain weight as we get older (and closer to menopause), that's not new news. I know what works for me, and I listen to my own body. It still all comes down to the same thing. Calories in vs. calories out.

Last edited by mel67; 06-30-2006 at 12:22 PM.
mel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 12:34 PM   #8  
Just Me

I think the article was trying to say that HFCS can pack on the calories in 100% whole wheat bread. It usually takes me a while to read the labels in the bread aisle before I actually choose a loaf of bread. Some 100% whole wheat bread has up to 150 calories per slice (maybe more but that is the most I've seen) while I go for bread in the 35-50 calorie/slice range. Usually for 35-40 calories/slice you are getting a lot of airy bread but it serves its purpose. I recommended "The Baker" because I like the ingredients and at 50 calories/slice, it is a very substantial and filling piece of bread.

As always, read labels Choices are expanding out there. "The Baker" isn't that expensive but it is probably a dollar more than your average 100% whole wheat bread loaf.
Old 07-01-2006, 10:59 AM   #9  

Default my favorite bread

Food for Life Sprouted 100% whole grain bread (they make several different varieties-- i ususally get the Ezekiel 4:9-- as well as pastas, cereals, english muffins, and wraps)

ingredients (for the Ezekiel)
organic sprouted wheat
organic sprouted barley
organic sprouted millet
organic malted barley
organic sprouted lentils
organic sprouted soybeans
organic sprouted spelt
filtered water
fresh yeast
sea salt

per 1 slice:
80 calories
0.5g total fat
0 cholesterol
75mg sodium
80mg potassium
15g total carbs (3 g fiber, 0 g sugar)
4 g protein

it's usually in the frozen foods section.
punkrockgrryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 08:11 AM   #10  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

My new favorite whole-wheat bread is sweetened with brown sugar, but it still only has less than 1.5g of sugar per slice. It is Healthy Life whole-wheat bread with flaxseed and has 40 calories per slice. I don't find it to be too airy or bland--I like it MUCH more than many other light breads I've tried that reminded me more of cardboard than bread Here's a link: http://www.healthylifebread.com/prod...ry=1&product=2 They have lots of other breads, too, including a whole-wheat with only 35 calories per slice, but I went for the one with the flaxseed, figuring it couldn't hurt, right? Anyway, here are the ingredients exactly as on the package:
water
whole wheat flour (whole grain)
wheat gluten
soy fiber and/or oat fiber or wheat fiber
brown sugar
yeast
flaxseed
salt
2% or less of the following:
calcium proprionate (to prevent spoilage)
dough conditioners (monodiglycerides, ethoxylatemono-diglycerides, sodium stearoyl lactylate, distilled monoglycerides, enzymes, ascorbic acid, azodicar-bonamide)
vinegar
calcium sulfate
guar gum
soy flour
yeast nutrients (monocalcium phosphate)

That's a lot of "stuff," but for me, it's certainly worth it. I bought a loaf of this and a loaf of light rye bread the same day, and the rye was all moldy in less than a week, whereas I can keep this Healthy Life bread in my cabinet for a few weeks without mold. This is essential for me since I NEVER finish a whole loaf in a week, or even in 2 weeks, since I'm the only one who eats it.

haha, fair warning: their website's section on where you can buy their bread is pretty bad...I put in my current zip code, and it told me no, it's not sold in my area, but I can list at least 3 locations within a 5-mile radius of my home that carry it
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 09:46 AM   #11  

Height: 5'8.5"

I just looked and my favorite bread has it listed as the third ingredient. However, since I don't eat much else that would have it in it I am probably still okay; but might do some looking around. However, I consider the Franz Columbia Dark (which I eat) still pretty healthful. I used to have a bread machine and got some great recipes off the Internet. Perhaps I need to get one again... except LOL THAT kind of bread would be a lot harder to resist eating too much of. But since I DO consider myself pretty self disciplined now I could slice it up thin and freeze it and proportion it out. LOL I suppose I could use self control with the bread like I have to do with everything else. What a concept!

There is no Healthy Life in my area... but hey I DID used to buy the Ezekiel stuff somewhere!!! ===going to search===
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 11:08 AM   #12  
future triathlete

S/C/G: 187.5/148.5/129

Height: 5'2"

I think most of the sprouted grain breads don't have it in there, or if they do it's at the bottom of the ingredients - I usually buy Healthy Way Twenty Loaf, which has twenty grains in it instead of processed flour, which is supposed to be better for you. I find the sprouted grain breads fill me up more than regular whole wheat, too.
sierra_ttw is offline   Reply With Quote