View Single Post
Old 05-07-2006, 08:28 PM   #98
brandnewme
learning to live

S/C/G: 443/270/200

Height: 5'0"

I absolutely love my mom's version of Swiss Steak. I thought I'd try to make a variation on that, and do Swiss Chicken. YUM! I made it tonight and it was an instant favorite with both me and hubby.

3 Lg Boneless/Skinless Chicken breasts, halved
1 can low sodium sliced, stewed tomatoes**
1 can regular sliced, stewed tomatoes**
2 medium white or yellow onions, sectioned
Olive oil to coat the pan

I generally cook the breasts for half an hour before adding the other ingredients. They're nearly done at that point, but won't lose their moistness. Then, I add the canned stewed tomatoes and the onion and set it on medium for about 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, I turn the heat down to low and let it simmer for another 30 minutes.***

This is excellent when served with lightly buttered or roasted potatoes, but I generally serve it with a large salad and cooked green beans.

** I generally use the canned tomatoes when I am short on time. You can use fresh tomatoes (and the flavor is typically better!) if you have time to stew them and let them cook down. Use 2 Roma tomatoes and 2-3 regular tomatoes for this method.

***Using a slow cooker is also an option for this recipe. 3-4 hours medium heat or 6+ hours for low heat, depending on your slow cooker.