The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 11-29-2005, 11:49 PM   #1  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Angry My VCR is sooooo fired!

OMG you guyyyyys. I set the VCR to tape both the Biggest Loser Finale & My Name Is Earl. But when I tried to play the tape just now--NOTHING!!! Except Dharma & Greg from like 7 years ago.

Someone please please please "ruin" it for me?? Give me a play by play? PLEEEEEASE????? I would be ever so grateful!!!

POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD!!!
Old 11-30-2005, 02:10 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Same thing happened to me!! I have no idea who won. Went to the website and no info yet. Suzy and Matt look absolutely incredibly, though!!
Old 11-30-2005, 07:17 AM   #3  

Matt won. Pete won the $100,000 prize with a 185 pound loss (I think). Wow!

They all looked fabulous. I felt sorry for Kathryn as she had only lost 16 pounds, and looked as though she really did not want to be there. Nick did not show up. I hope NBC sues the pants off of him. He took a spot that someone deserving could of had.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:18 AM   #4  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Default The Biggest Loser FINALE - 29 November 2005

I was FLOORED--everyone looked great. I felt bad for Kathryn though. She definitely looked like she didn't want to be there. And I was not surprised to see that Nick blew it off altogether. It p*sses me off to know he took the spot of someone that would have really taken advantage of it.

Congrats to Pete for winning the 100 G's!! and Mark was SO CLOSE--within 6/100 of a point!

Bob and Jillian looked great! Bob kept dragging Jillian down the steps though--looks like she is not used to high heels!

One thing that bothers me about this show is that there is no time spent with the contestants in therapy while they are on the ranch. I think being overweight is just a SYMPTOM of an underlying issue. It was evident when the contestants went home how they may have had the head knowledge of how to keep the weight off, but they had no tools to handle it emotionally. I think daily therapy sessions with the contestants would have helped prepare them more for the real world.

The three finalists looked fabulous! Although I wish Suzy would have won it all, at least she got 25K and Seth got 50K. Better than Gary and Kelly from last year who left empty handed.

Caroline looked very nice last night, although her hair was frighteningly big!! LOL She has some great curves on her body, and that dress brought it out.

In the audience, I saw Gary and Dave from season one, but didn't notice anyone else. Was anyone else spotted by anyone?

I noticed in the home segments there was LOTS of product placement for Quaker Weight Control Oatmeal and Jello....shameless!!

All in all, the show was a great inspiration to me. It shows that for those willing to do the work, it pays off.

Would love to hear your thoughts!
Old 11-30-2005, 08:26 AM   #5  
Empress/Queen

I don't have a VCR anymore and I seem to have fallen asleep during the show ... yes, would love a blow-by-blow if anyone's up to it!
Old 11-30-2005, 08:28 AM   #6  

Talking They Looked Fabulous!!!!!

Ok, I saw most of the show last night. They all looked beautiful and healthy...Boy! what a difference...I am so proud of all of them and the young lady who lost 16lbs she has 16lbs pounds of fat she's no longer carrying on her body and just because the show is over doesn't mean it's over her or any of them. Wear your 16lb weightloss proudly!!!

Also, judging from the before shows...did some of the contestants go under the knife (Extra Skin)...there's no way with the amount of weightloss for some of the contestants there skin simply bounced back into shape...Did the show pay???
Old 11-30-2005, 08:31 AM   #7  
Crazy Melting Chick

I absolutely LOVED the whole season. The finale? WOW. I can't believe the difference in some of the contestents. EVERYONE managed to inspire me. Even Nick and Kathryn. I mean seriously, I do NOT want to be like them LOL So it helps keep me motivated to do my best.

I don't work out a lot. Heck, I don't have a lot of time, but I was really motivated last night to get my butt in gear.

I was looking at the bodies of the contestants and couldn't help but wonder how they got them to look so fantastic. Probably the working out, huh? LOL

I've lost a lot of weight over the past 9 1/2 months, and I am sagging EVERYWHERE. When you weigh at least 250 pounds for almost 4 years, the body just doesn't go back the way it was before. I want to know their secret!!!!

I was so impressed. I will forever remember them all, but my biggest inspirations were, Suzy, Matt, Seth, Ryan, Adrean, and Mark and Pete. Wow those guys just rock!!!!!! Oh and the trainers! I wish I had someone like that to train me, kick my butt and get me going in the right direction!!
Old 11-30-2005, 08:31 AM   #8  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

I doubt it! But you never know...

I think most of them had skin that bounced back. I know that my skin will definitely sag when I lose my weight!
Old 11-30-2005, 08:37 AM   #9  

Default Matt Won!!!!

My daughter and I started watching this series for the first time this year. I found it to be a terrific series and very inspiring. I was routing for Matt the entire series. He looked incredible. I was glad that Jello gave everyone money, too. I think that was fair and gave the contestants an added boost for all the work they'd done.

A great show!

Cyl53
Old 11-30-2005, 08:38 AM   #10  
Crazy Melting Chick

LOL I was wondering the same thing about the skin. Some of them obviously had been fat for a while, and the longer your skin is stretched like that the harder it is to get it to "bounce" back. Pete looked great, but where was his skin?? LOL

Seth obviously had NOT had surgery. He still had his little stretch mark pouch. But I kind of liked it. What a way to be reminded where you came from! Mark, and Doc, and even Matt didn't look like they'd done anything, you could see some of the excess. Suzy too.

I just love these people!!!!! So glad they were willing to go on the show and show us all it COULD be done. I know they did it for themselves, but WOW it helped me so much!
Old 11-30-2005, 08:44 AM   #11  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

It was a great show and a great season. Can't wait for the NEXT one! Things that struck me in particular were how close Mark and Pete were and Suzy and Seth on their wins. On the skin issue. I was glad that Seth lifted his shirt, he did have loose skin, but really shrunk loose skin. I think Seth is just as cute as he can be and looked so good last night. I thought Andrea looked amazing, she really went on and lost every ounce she needed to. Ryan seemed to do the same. Suzanne was very cute too. They were all giddy it seemed though Matt, bless his heart, really seemed on the dignified side of things. I am glad he has brought out overcoming a drinking problem. That explains a lot about how he came across for me. Oh yeah and how lovely our Jillian looked, that stood out too.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:45 AM   #12  
Uber-Moderator!!

Thumbs up The Biggest Loser FINALE - 29 November 2005

WOW.

WOW WOW WOW WOW.

OM Effing G!

What a superb finale!!! About a bazillion times better than last year's!

Rather than my usual post...because a lot of the show was flashbacks etc...let's just summarize...I might go into more detail later.

Let's see. First off, just as I suspected, NICK did NOT show up.
(I mean, what are the producers going to do, DRAG him there by force? This is supposed to be a POSITIVE show, and trust me, he would have been anything BUT positive. Actually I was kind of hoping that since the update, he would have 'seen the light' and started really working hard and be able to stand with PRIDE. You know if he did that, I bet the guys would have been glad to see him...and happy that he turned things around! Ah well, so much for Nick.)

Okay - except for Kathryn, EVERYONE LOOKED GREAT. Kathyrn basically...looked the same as she did the first day at the ranch to my eyes. It was easy to see she didn't want to be there...but I digress.

Since it was a live studio audience (at least for you East Coasters) the excitement of the audience was electric! Before bringing out the eliminated players for the $100k weighin teasers were shown of the three finalists - they looked like they were having a hard time once they got off the ranch...

anyway...everyone was in anticipation to see the other team members who were presented in the order of their elimination...after they all came out it was pretty obvious to me, anyway, who was going to walk away with the $100k.

Anyway...to the weigh in...jumping ahead a bit.

RUBEN gets up first. He looked great in his recap on the first show...well now he is even HOTTER...I'm telling you. For the one who spent the least time at the ranch, he definitely took what he learned and RAN with it. Jillian should be proud of him, incredibly proud, even tho he was an insufferable goof at times during his short stay.

Ruben's starting weight - 278...he is now 197 for an 81 lb/29.14% loss! (right then he pulls up his shirt to show six pack abs!!)

KATHRYN...well...this was funny because when she first came on stage, the applause just DIED. I kind of felt bad for her, except she had a snarky look on her face. I do have to give her snaps for actually showing up though...unlike the rest of the players she didn't seem to have bonds with anyone there really.

Starting weight - 217...end weight 201 for 17 lb/7.37% loss (same weight she left the ranch at...hmm I wonder if the producers threw her a sympathy bone and just defaulted the scale at that weight because she looked the same last night as she did in her before pic...)

RYAN - oh man does she look CUTE and SEXY! She gets on the scale...
starting weight 225...now she's a very hot looking 147 losing a tremendous 78 lbs/34.67%, knocking Ruben out of first (but he doesn't seem to mind...)

SUZANNE - as Caroline commented, damn she does look like Jessica Simpson now! WOW what a diff! During the weigh in she has her ABS showing...remember in the recap she vowed to be 100 lbs lighter by the finale?
starting weight 229 - now 142 for an 87 lb/37.99% loss (maybe she didn't get to 129 but she definitely looks like she's at GOAL weight to me!)

JEN - looks great also - athletic and happy...
Starting weight 267...now 176 for a 91 lb/34.08% loss. Not that far away from goal - maybe another 20 lbs at most (she's pretty muscular IMO).

After a commercial, it's PETE's turn and the crowd goes WILD! Definitely a favorite!! You know his wife has lost 70 pounds as well! What an inspiration this man is...and the biggest smile! OMG I can't get over Pete -- he looks even better than he did in People Mag - like a basketball star!
starting weight 401...end weight 216 for an amazing 185 lb/46.13% loss!!!

MARK looks almost as good as Pete though! What a cutie! (oh heck ALL the men are cute...most of the women too except Kathryn...)
starting weight 358...now 193!!! With a 165 lb/46.09% loss, he's only a hair behind Pete!!! WOW!

SHANNON'S turn...starting weight 257 - now 149 for a 108 lb/42.02% loss! She's looking sooo good...

Commercial and then down to the last two...

DR JEFF a BIG favorite - he looks really great!!! Not only has he inspired his patients, but the whole WORLD.
Starting weight 370...now 217 for a 153 lb/41.35% loss! I don't think he cares much that he didn't beat Pete - by now it's clear that Pete will win the $100k.

ANDREA - they show her farewell interview which wasn't aired last week. She looks great!
Starting weight 220...now 145 for a 75 lb/34.09% loss...

PETE WINS! WOOHAH! SO much better than Dave's win last season, because Pete is so likeable, where Dave was not.
(BTW...I thought some of last season's contestants were going to make an appearance...guess not!)

A commercial and then on to the three finalists. They go through some footage shot during their time between leaving the ranch and the finale. It wasn't easy for any of them...but they worked hard and made it thru (I'll have to go into more detail later...) I didn't know Matt was a recovering alcoholic - he started drinking at 13 years old, so he has a double weight to carry.

Anyway the three finalists are introduced.

SETH looks great - he definitely looks like a MOVIE STAR. Like most of the other male contestants, he shows his six pack (I note he has some loose skin, but he had a BIG gut before so to be expected).

SUZY - comes out in a gorgeous black dress looking like a MODEL and gives Seth a big hug!

Last is MATT - WOW...OMG...he looks amazing! All three give each other hugs and it's obvious they are great friends no matter what the outcome...

Before the weighin Caroline introduces Bob and Jillian, who look ASTOUNDED when they see the three finalists. Then Caroline announces that Jell-O has decided that all THREE finalists will get prizes - 2nd place gets $50k and 3rd, $25k!! SO COOL because that really sucked last year - I thought Gary should've gotten SOMETHING.

Seth up first...starting weight 291 - now 168!!! 123 lb/42.27% loss...

Now Suzy who looks confident...was 227...now she's 132 for a 95 lb/41.85 loss - just a hair behind Seth! VERY close!!!

Of course before Matt there's a commercial.

I notice they left out the bodyfat test which was such a big part of last season's final weigh in. Interesting...

Okay time for Matt - love him or hate him, you can't say he hasn't been motivated or inspirational - before weighing, he announces he has been sober for nine months as of tonight. WTG!!

Starting weight...339...now 182!!!

157 lb/46.31% loss and Matt is the BIGGEST LOSER!!!

And the crowd goes wild!!!

(it was SO close between the three finalists...)

Oh and announced at the end of the show is a January "Special Edition" of the Biggest Loser with families, couples, Navy Wives etc...something to look forward to!
Old 11-30-2005, 08:52 AM   #13  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiarij
Also, judging from the before shows...did some of the contestants go under the knife (Extra Skin)...there's no way with the amount of weightloss for some of the contestants there skin simply bounced back into shape...Did the show pay???
I rather doubt that ANYONE had surgery at this point.

Seth did have some obvious loose skin when he pulled up his shirt, and Suzy had the 'wobbly arms'.

Lots of times for belly skin, it can be tucked into your pants or what have you.

And Caroline did stress that there was NO surgery involved.

Also...from personal experience...if anyone DID have surgery (I would guess you would be referring to a tummy tuck) there just wouldn't have been enough time to recover from the surgery before the finale - as swelling generally lasts from 6-12 months. Also, any one having surgery would have had to lay off working out for at LEAST a month. So no...no surgery, IMO.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:12 AM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen415

One thing that bothers me about this show is that there is no time spent with the contestants in therapy while they are on the ranch. I think being overweight is just a SYMPTOM of an underlying issue. It was evident when the contestants went home how they may have had the head knowledge of how to keep the weight off, but they had no tools to handle it emotionally. I think daily therapy sessions with the contestants would have helped prepare them more for the real world.

I would say that it is the other way around; the tendency to be fat fuels the emotional problems. I don't think it is too likely that a fat person will achieve some sort of catharsis in therapy and suddenly stop overeating.

Naturally fat people gain weight when stressed or depressed; naturally thin people do not. I tend towards depression myself, and I would say that being thinner and healthier helps relieve it, although it is not a panacea.

It doesn't take much knowledge to lose weight. Everyone knows how to, but most lack the dedication and discipline.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:20 AM   #15  

I loved the show it was a great inspiration. Even dh was floored! Ruben was kind of getting on my nerves though. Every time you turned around he was standing up trying to get on camera.

Caroline's hair was just freaky! And who did her makeup?

Anyone wonder what Seth's wife was thinking about all the attention he was getting from Suzy?

I kind of felt bad for Kathryn. Yes she lost weight but she weighed the same as when she left the ranch and that had to hurt. But then again maybe it'll kick her into gear and get her to lose the rest of the weight.

Can't wait to see the January show.