Old 06-20-2006, 06:03 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Interesting. But that begs the question: isn't "white" pasta made from semolina then also a grain? We just give it a different name, right?
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 08:45 PM   #17  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

oh no.. I've started a couscous debate..
maybe I might try it. Do you guys add anything to it? Butter would be great.. but that's a no no
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 09:27 PM   #18  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Butter isn't a no no so long as it's used in moderation or you choose a butter/margarine that is free of trans fats and perhaps lower in calories than regular butter.

I've never had couscous, but as for the "white" foods thing, not all white things are created equal. I would eat a white potato before I would eat white bread simply because potatoes are actually natural and unprocessed, plus they have a load of nutrients (especially if you eat the skin!). I'm not particularly fond of sweet potatoes, either. White rice is "bad" because it's no longer a whole grain--in order to make white rice, the original grains are stripped of their outter coating, which is what contains most of the nutrients, making brown rice a much healthier choice nutritionally.

I think a lot of the "white is bad" talk comes from low-carb diet plans, too. On a low-carb plan, you would avoid all of these foods not because they are processed or low in nutrients, but because they typically have a higher amount of "bad" carbs (or carbs at all, depending on the plan). These "bad" carbs cause insulin spikes and can create cravings and have a less filling/lasting effect than their whole-grain counterparts.

I think I'm talking myself in circles...I'll stop now
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 10:58 PM   #19  

couscous, at its most basic, and water and let it sit covered to cook... maybe add a little olive oil and fluff with a fork.

But I find that approach a little flavorless and have started looking for yummies to throw in. Sometimes it helps to start by toasting the couscous in a hot pan (no oil) for a few minutes until it gets a little toasty. Put in a glass bowl and set aside.

Saute some onions and garlic in a tsp of olive oil... maybe add some veggies, chick peas... lemon rind... etc... and cook. Take all the cooked stuff, and some chicken stock/water combo and place it all in the bowl with the couscous. Let it sit for 10-12 minutes... THEN drizzle the olive oil and fluff with a fork. Yummmy
Old 06-21-2006, 11:39 AM   #20  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbar

Amanda.. that is so interesting what you said about having a soda with dinner.. my dh does that every night. So is diet soda just as bad?
No, diet pop would be fine... actually, I am impressed with the amount of diet pop now made with Splenda. Pop is my last vice, I can't give it up... the nurse practitioner I see wants me too (and all I can say is that I quit smoking, I'm not eating, what else do you want from me???) LOL.
Diet pop doesn't have any kind of corn syrup in it... however it is advisable to moderate your intake of COLAS, because they have phosphoric acid which contributes to decreases in bone density (which can lead to osteoporosis). Some non-cola diet pops have phosphoric acid as well, but if you don't drink alot of pop anyway, I wouldn't worry about it. I drink about 2 liters of diet pop per day... when I am out of that, I use the Walmart version of Crystal Light to make my drinks (it has no calories, Crystal Light as 5 cals/serving I think).

As for cereals, they can be some of the worst food that you eat... amazingly. However, I would think as long as you are choosing something made with whole grains and has limited carbs, it ought to be alright.
You can go to http://www.glycemicindex.com and search their database of foods (if it is listed, you can find out where it ranks). The lower the glycemic index, the more healthy the food is... it is based on a scale of 0-100, so the closer to 100 the more that food ought to be avoided. It does not list anything like meats and such because those foods have no carbs.
buckettgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 12:55 PM   #21  
Made in England!

S/C/G: 260/260/169

Height: 5' 4"

I still eat potatoes, though I don't have them often. When I do, I usually have a jacket, and eat the skin. It's the tastiest part.

I often dry fry my couscous first too, Heather. It gives a lovely nutty flavour to it. When I'm pushed for time though, I just throw some in a bowl with boiling water, a little lo-so chicken Oxo, some herbs, and chilli flakes.

It's right near the top of my list of ultimate fast-foods.

Nobody seems to have mentioned bulgar (bulghur/bulgur) wheat yet, which is another popular grain in my house. It has more fibre and fewer kcals than brown rice, it's quicker to prepare, and I would say it has more flavour than both rice and couscous. I use it to make tabouleh, pilau, and "pretendy" meatballs.
DishyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 05:21 PM   #22  

Ali -- Oooohh... I will take a try at the bulgur wheat!!!!
Old 06-22-2006, 01:13 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I have to get in on the defending of the potato after all I am from Idaho. In fact all around my house are potato fields and my high school mascot was a Russett. They are very nutritional and great for you.

Trish
trishn222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 05:34 AM   #24  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishn222
In fact all around my house are potato fields and my high school mascot was a Russett.
I'm sorry--this made me laugh I can just imagine some guy dressed as a potato dancing around a football field...go potatoes!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 08:03 AM   #25  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

no gatorade at that football game.. just sour cream!
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 09:36 AM   #26  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Just a quick chime in. I am currently following BFL and even though I have stayed away from white starches, white potatoes are given the OK on that plan. Usually white means stripped of nutrients/fiber but that isn't always the case. White flour (thus white bread) and white rice (generally) are while brown rice isn't but neither are white potatoes. I have been eating brown rice for ages and like it quite a bit and I also like my 100% whole wheat bread. I rarely eat potatoes because I limit my starches a bit and given a choice of rice or potatoes, I'd choose rice.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 10:58 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Yeah those were things that happened also you should have gone to other schools and saw the signs. Mash them potatoes, Fry those spud...You get the drift. The Russett did have a crown, robe and sceptor. I guess they thought that it was regal looking. Yeah it was funny. But in a very fun sort of way. ::
trishn222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 06:47 PM   #28  
I'm bringin' SEXY back!!!

Height: 5'3 1/2

I didn't know they had whole grain couscous. I am going to have to look for it because I love me some couscous.
teahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 10:54 PM   #29  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 198/190/135~5'3"

I would like to make a negative comment on the splenda in diet colas and everthing else. I cannot tolerate splenda at all. Very bad bloating, cramping, gas and diarrea(sic) for days afterword. It is so terrible. It is also known as sucralose. DEMON chemical is what I call it. It is so hard to find anything light without it. I really hate that.

It was kind of odd when it started, I thought that I had developed IBS. With careful watching of my diet, my Dr. figured it out. He said that it was very common but not advertised very much (imagine that). As for taste splenda tasted great. I could not tell it from sugar and loved it. In the end it about ruined my life before I figured out what the problem was. Buyer Beware!!!
Puney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 10:57 PM   #30  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 198/190/135~5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puney
I would like to make a negative comment on the splenda in diet colas and everthing else. I cannot tolerate splenda at all. Very bad bloating, cramping, gas and diarrea(sic) for days afterword. It is so terrible. It is also known as sucralose. DEMON chemical is what I call it. It is so hard to find anything light without it. I really hate that.

It was kind of odd when it started, I thought that I had developed IBS. With careful watching of my diet, my Dr. figured it out. He said that it was very common but not advertised very much (imagine that). As for taste splenda tasted great. I could not tell it from sugar and loved it. In the end it about ruined my life before I figured out what the problem was. Buyer Beware!!!
No, diet pop would be fine... actually, I am impressed with the amount of diet pop now made with Splenda
Puney is offline   Reply With Quote