Old 11-23-2005, 09:09 AM   #31  
One pound at a time...

Default Happy Thanksgiving from the Great White North

I just wanted to say Happy Thanksgiving to our American chicks (and roosters)! I hope you enjoy the day!

Bride, welcome to the group! There is a lot of amazing support on this forum. Post often so we can get to know you.

Liz, Vent away! I am sorry to hear about all the stress that you are having with your in-laws as well as the whole car thing. Everything will work out. I know when my car finally died last year and I had to use my mom's for awhile it drove her and myself crazy. She went house crazy, I felt guilty using her car all the time, plus the loss of independence on both sides (her being housebound, me having to race home after work to give her back the car). I hope you have a peaceful Thanksgiving. What is it about the hoildays that brings the out in everyone?

Case in point, my mom asked me what I was doing for Christmas this year, and I have not firmed up my plans as of yet and I did not commit to staying home for Christmas, so she did not talk to me for the rest of the day.

I also spent Saturday shopping with her and comtemplating matricide. For her Christmas present, my brother and I said we would buy her a new jacket. Since we are both stubborn, that was a fun trip. We finally ended up at Penningtons (plus size store) after four hours, and she found what she was looking for. Did I say stubborn? She initially did not want to go to the store because it was a plus size store. I love her to death, but she has blinders on when it comes to her weight. In her mind she is a size 16, and nothing I can say will change that. I know where she is coming from, as I have major body image issues myself but sometimes you just want to scream!!!

Other than that, we have had our first official dusting of snow! It is beginning to look a lot like Christmas!

Last edited by ChocLabLover; 11-23-2005 at 09:13 AM.
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 09:16 AM   #32  
Big Ol' loser

Carol we were posting at the same time... I expaned my vent.

Mothers and Daughters always have such uh unique relationships don't they? Well at least you got her to get a coat huh?
My mother always has everything planned and overplanned and thinks everyone else should too. I intentionally do all my christmas shopping two weeks before so that she can freak out for a little bit. talk about passive agressive! I actually have started shopping early this year but haven't said anything to her about it. She is almost done.
yikes!
I am work and house crazy. I have to be dropped off and picked up from work everyday and I dh takes his time getting here in the afternoon. Once I said I get off at 430 and he didn't talk to me for a couple of hours. I know he is sick of dropping me off and picking me up but have some consideration ya know?
goalnorolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 10:09 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Bride: to the group. I agree that it can be overwhelming but as you go along you will start to see so many changes happening that you'll wonder why you were overwhelmed.

Joyce: That was me on both issues TP and cookie dough. I am the anal must be over on the roll person and I donated the cookies to daycare. I think that's great that you are going to make them for the class. That's funny your hubby never mentioned it to you before. So which way does he prefer?

Liz: I'm so sorry to hear about the ILs. Too bad they have to come with the spouse huh? Maybe if you started calling FIL to come and pick you up and take you to and from work he'd get the car fixed faster? LOL. Just try not to stress too much about the holiday. You are only one person and can only do so much.

Carol: That sounds stressful. I can say I'm lucky with the relationship I have with my mother. I consider her one of my closest friends as well.
I'm so jealous of the snow. We haven't had a decent snow where I live in years.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 10:41 AM   #34  
One pound at a time...

Dawynal, I think the stress comes in with mom is that she pushes herself to try and do everything herself and then gets fustrated and miserable when she can't. She ain't as young as she used to be. She is turning 73 next week, and is pretty good shape except that her feet are killing her. All that stilletto wearing in the 50s when she was a young thing working. I never wear heals after seeing what it does to your feet . I am a little bemused that as she gets older the parent-child relationship reverses and I am the parent now.
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 10:50 AM   #35  
Big Ol' loser

Carol I can agree about the parent child relationship thing.
During the hurricane that hit texas my parents were going to stay home. We had to beg and threaten to make them leave. I finally told them to fax over their important documents in case anything happened. They finally left but it was so frustrating...I think they didn't like being told what to do!
I work with AARP members all day. Most are in their 60-80s and they are so funny. You don't want to offend by suggesting they talk with family and friends about important issues if they get any idea you are saying that they jump all over you.
Its a fine line.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:32 AM   #36  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Oh, reading about toilet paper made me laugh! I haven't been keeping up with this thread lately, but I must say that the toilet paper was mentioned in another area of the forum in a thread about pet peeves. They said that the toilet paper should always go over the top, and to prove her point, she said that toilet paper with printed designs are designed to face the correct direction only when going over the top My mother always made us put it over the top, so that's how I do it now only out of habit, but I honestly don't think it really matters!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 11:41 AM   #37  
Big Ol' loser

I honestly never pay attention to how I put it on. I just put it on. I'm sure my husband puts it on one way because he is a creature of habit. The logic on the design makes sense.
My mom always puts sheets on with the design on the inside- so the top sheet is face down she always said so that we could sleep in flowers. I also noticed if you fold your top sheet back you see the pretty side.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:47 AM   #38  

Ken likes thes tolite paper to roll off over the top. He also mentioned to me about the printed paper towels were made to roll over the top. I never noticed.
Happy Turkey day! We are having brunch with our two boys then headed off to Laughlin Nevada for the long weekend.
Gobble, gobble,
jmacway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 12:52 PM   #39  
Big Ol' loser

Have fun!
Old 11-23-2005, 01:16 PM   #40  

Well thank you everyone. No my boyfriend is not overweight. I guess i didn't do well yesterday i got to wrapping birthday presents for my boyfriend's (David) Niece. I hjad a bowl of Ice Cream, and then we had port of subs for dinner. I got kinda of upset with him at dinner last night, he is from a large family 6 brothers (hes the youngest of 7) and i guess comes the mentality to not waste food. We will go out to eat and he'll push me to finish my plate when i'm already full. A lot of my eating problems and weight gain are emotional. My parents divorced this year and it was beyond ugly. I moved with my dad and have no realtionship with my mother and her side of the family. I gained almost 30 pounds from January to now. When i was telling David what i wanted to weigh last night (140) he told me that was too thin...kind of discourging. All in all i'm determied to make good choices today. No soda...thats my weakness!
Bride2B06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 02:20 PM   #41  
Big Ol' loser

Bride - Even adult divorces are hard. I have been there it ended up being an affair/seperation that mended but the year of seperation was ****!

You may have put this somewhere but how tall are you?

One suggestion might be to eat what you want and ask if he wants the rest if you are out or ask for a doggy bag, if you are at home wrap it up for later. That way you can eat later if you want and he can't get upset

Portion control is my biggest issue and my dh LOVES to eat big meals. I have learned to stop at one plate and to eye out my food a little bit. It seems to help. It might be a good idea since you are on your own on this to picture the size of a deck of cards as a meat portion or the palm of your hand. There are alot of these little tips- the top knuckle up to the tip on your thumb is a tablespoon. If I eat pasta or rice I try to imagine a measuring cup full sitting on my plate.

What plan are you doing? are you counting calories?
Old 11-23-2005, 03:11 PM   #42  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

I spoke to a yoga instructor @ my health club yesterday, she encouraged me to come try her class. I had concerns about my fat a$$ keeping up w/everyone else. She said she's got a lot of beginners & that everyone goes at their own pace.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 03:25 PM   #43  
Big Ol' loser

I didn't go this week for that very reason. I am afraid I will be rolling all over the floor.

Thanks for the info it might get my 'nerve' up!
Old 11-25-2005, 07:04 PM   #44  

I'm not a big turkey fan or even a big fan of thanksgiving so it's not too hard for me, although soon to be brother in law and i have been hiding green bean cassrol and cake from eachother. I want it and hide it, he wants it finds and hides it from me. . . maybe its for the best. I'm just trying to heat less fatning foods. It's not that i over eat, its just what i eat is crap! I love vegatables and stuff though but it never seems to make into my mouth. Yes my parents divorce hit me very very hard. They were married for 28 years and then it just fell apart i blame my mom. however its all almost over now and i have a wonderful relationship with my dad. I've been kinda watching the scale. I don't think i gained anything over the holiday. I'm 5'9 and my weight doesnt look to bad...but it really bothers me!
Bride2B06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 04:45 PM   #45  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Smile

Hi everybody! It's been so long since I checked in here, I wanted to let you all know that I'm still alive and kicking and give you an update on life in the land of Sarah!

Here are the high points:

I'm doing well, my energy continues to improve, and work is going well. I have found a lump above my collar bone, so I'm going to move up my scan appointment to allay any concerns. It was originally scheduled for the very end of December, but I'm going to do it just as soon as they can fit me in -- hopefully this week. My oncologist gave me a happy thumbs-up when I saw her a few weeks ago, but that was based on blood tests alone. I'm sure I'm fine, but of course I'm freaking pretty hard. I haven't told Lorraine about it -- noone until now, actually -- because she's already pretty stressed out about everything else we've got going on, and I don't want to worry her if it's nothing.

Lorraine's learned that she's almost definitely going to get downsized right after the turn of the year (along with 10% of her peers) so, long story short, we're planning on moving to Atlanta. We've wanted to move from this area anyway, so if she has to look for a new job, it might as well be in a place where we can get much more house for our money. We're building a home south of Atlanta, and are frantically preparing our Maryland home to be put on the market the end of next week. Between my cancer and her Lyme Disease, we didn't get around to some of the home improvement/beautification projects we'd planned for 2005, so now it's a big push to paint molding, etc., and put as much stuff in storage as possible. (We rented two tables at a local flea market yesterday and sold almost $500 worth of stuff!) It's a lot, with both of us still working full time and neither of us at 100% yet.

As I write this, Lorraine's on a plane to Atlanta; a restaurant chain is flying her down and putting her up for a couple of days to go through their interview process for a district management position. The plan is to get her hired first while I continue in my MD job, hopefully she finds a job right away and starts right after Christmas, we wrap things up with packing here, and if our realtor is right and the house sells within 30 days, we'll both move down there together and rent till the new house is built (in April-May.) Depending on how things work out, we may end up living apart for a while, which would be hard and just plain suck overall, but we'll just have to see how the timing all plays out. We've never been through this process before, and because we went through all of our savings this year, our options are limited.

Now we just need for her to continue feeling better, me to continue to stay healthy and have just a silly little lump for no important reason. *gulp* And we both need to get new jobs in the southern metropolitan Atlanta area!

I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving, and that you're each enjoying some peace, calm, and loving times going into this holiday. And stay away from that fruit cake! That's my plan!

Much love ~
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote