Old 02-20-2015, 11:34 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 291/249/180

Height: 5'5"

Default I want a "wow" moment

I know I'm losing at a slow pace. I know that's the healthiest way and the way to help insure that the weight stays off. I also know that due to the slow pace, those who see me on a regular basis aren't going to say "wow, you've lost". But darn it, I want a wow moment. Just as reinforcement that SOMEONE sees the good I'm doing. Ugh. Sorry y'all, just having a down in the dumps kind of day. Needed to vent.
JsMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 11:40 AM   #2  
Mela A

S/C/G: 270/260.5/135

Height: 5'2"

Man I know what you mean. I've noticed the subtle changes in my body but nobody else has started to comment yet. Nothing you can tell yourself is ever quite as good as hearing someone else say "Man, how much weight have you lost!?!? You look fantastic!" You'll totally get there. Consistency over time...and a lot of spinach. lol. Take care!
MelaAnaetoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 01:02 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 244/ticker/130

Height: 5'4

I like to keep one piece of clothing that I can put on to have my moment. I lost at about 1lb a week, a little less than that recently.. and it takes a long while for us heavier starters to show the losses. So for me, that piece of clothing is the bridesmaid dress from my sister's wedding. It's not quite the same as someone noticing the weight is dropping off, but it's also a better feeling than looking in the mirror or seeing the scale.

The changes also seem to be more noticeable for the dress than other clothes. Not sure why. For the wedding it was tight, I was muffin topping out the top. Now it's loose enough that I can zip it up on my own and spin it around on my body... yet I haven't changed a size in jeans and all yet!

Just an idea to maybe tide you over until you get to a point where people comment!
sunarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 01:49 PM   #4  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

You will get there, so hang on!! All of a sudden, you'll wear something a little different and it will jump out to someone else that you have lost weight. Some people will notice and not say anything unless they are really sure. That's how it happened to me. I heard nothing for forever, and then all of a sudden, EVERYONE said something. Keep going!!!!!!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 01:54 PM   #5  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

I know the feeling... a lot. I get comments now and then, "Oh, you've lost a little weight?" Yeah, I guess 54 pounds is a little. It feels like so much more, but to them it only looks a little. Boo.

But today, my Timehop app popped up with pictures I took exactly a year ago, pictures I took just for me, to keep track of my weight loss progress. My jaw dropped to the floor. I hadn't looked at them in so, so long. Holy COW. My body is so different. And people who see me on a daily basis (in clothes!) probably won't recognize that, but I do.

WOW yourself! Take pictures and measurements. Take sunarie's advice to track your progress. We just gotta keep ourselves inspired when others aren't doing it for us.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 07:23 PM   #6  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Get below 200 and ye shall get one.

And then another.

And then another.

And then the wow moments become leave me alone moments.

The best wow moments are between the mirror and you.

Last edited by IanG; 02-20-2015 at 07:24 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:24 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/145

Height: 5'4

It's been my experience, like Slashnl, that people can be a little hesitant to comment on weight loss until you've lost so much that the question isn't "Have you lost weight? " but " How much have you lost? " or " Wow, you've really lost a lot of weight! "

I also agree that a lot of times it has to do with what you're wearing. I go from wearing sweatpants to jeans and people notice.

I'd say those closest to me noticed around 30 lbs lost. Others around 50. Now that I'm at over 70, a lot of people comment. People that haven't seen me in a long time do a double take.

I agree with Ian that it can go from something you can't wait to hear to something you get tired of discussing. Also agree that the best moments are when you see it. One day you look in the mirror and say "wow I have cheekbones or collarbone again!"
Streudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 11:52 PM   #8  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

The BEST WOW, you will get, is to, go out, buy a new thing, you would have never done, put it on and look in the mirror, and go WOW!

Rock it! Strut it!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 01:05 AM   #9  

Height: 5'4"

It will come--just be patient...but I know how you feel. I can see changes and I think everyone else should be able to as well. But not so far.

A coworker of mine lost a significant amount of weight last year and she gets compliments almost daily on her cute outfits. I want that to be me next year!
janby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 12:05 PM   #10  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 286.8/198.8/150ish

Height: 5'6"

There are many reasons why people may not be commenting. There are reasons other than dieting for people to be loosing weight. Serious illness in one of those reasons, and some people won't comment for that reason. Another reason could be jealousy or envy. Someone could be noticing, and it makes them feel bad because they haven't done the work to lose weight. Then there's the person who has noticed, but is not going to say anything because they are not the personal business type person. Hang in there, give yourself the wow moment, and soon your good friends and family will notice and start commenting.
imthegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 01:13 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 337.7/336.8/269

Height: 5'6

This used to bother me a lot more than it does now, but now I am pretty ok without people's comments. Just as I would be hurt if someone commented I gained weight, I don't really need anyone to validate my weight loss anymore, because it is for me ultimately.

That said, keep going, and eventually people will notice, as mentioned. There is a cute quote I love that helped me in the beginning -
"It takes 4 weeks for you to see your body changing, it takes 8 weeks for friends & family to notice and 12 weeks for the rest of the world, keep going!"

Well if you're very overweight like me and trying to lose weight slow & steady for life as opposed to being skinny for a minute, the times in that quote can be altered but it still applies. It will start with you probably noticing, then those closest to you, then the world. As Iang pointed out in a similar thread sometimes people will compliment your hair (or clothes or something else on your person), because they can't place what is different about you. And some people don't want to get too personal just in case you are or aren't losing weight on purpose, you'll never truly know what is in another person's mind unless they share it which most don't.

Ultimately we're here, we'd love to see your changes, so if the people around you don't notice, just know you have a supportive & understanding community that would love to be able to "ooh" and "ahh" over your accomplishments.
Candidcamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 02:34 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 291/249/180

Thank you all. I was just having a very down day when I posted that OP. I feel better now.
JsMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 09:02 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 432/180/200

Height: 5'11

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
Get below 200 and ye shall get one.

And then another.

And then another.

And then the wow moments become leave me alone moments.

The best wow moments are between the mirror and you.
Hear Hear!
TheSatinPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote