Old 06-20-2014, 05:43 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 337.7/336.8/269

Height: 5'6

My mom is 25 years older than me, and is also overweight and hasn't undergone a weight loss transformation, so I can't figure out my genetic predisposition to loose skin. I debated with a poor guy on another site who has severe loose skin and shows up in every thread on the topic like a ghost of skin's future with dour news. It can happen to anyone, especially those of us who have let our skin be stretched over a 250 lb. plus frame, but it is ok, and if it bothers us that much, thankfully it can be removed. Our health has to take precedence over vanity, that is what it comes down to. Whether we are left with battle wounds after our journeys, at least we survived. I know if I stay this size I won't live to see my grandchildren grow (heck or even have kids, childless & pcos here) so I'll take a droopy belly & batwing arms. Not to mention those features however tough they may be to accept are more attractive than me staying 5'5 and nearly 300 lbs. Just my 2 cents.

Also adding I appreciate the advice of Frances123 , as I've read similar things, and right now for those in transition it is all we have.
Candidcamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:44 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 305/300/180

Height: 5'10''

Pattience, I wish I could click "like" on that reply! Worry and stress are the biggest contributors to my weight gain and stress eating. I need to just put my mind somewhere else, like somewhere positive as you said. My positive is walking in the sunshine with my music playing
sparky09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:55 AM   #18  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I also want to add that extra skin does NOT need to be a nightmare situation. I think that is what we all worry about - that we will end up with tons of loose drippy skin. While, yes, that CAN happen (especially to men who have less fat layers under their skin), it's not as bad for most people as they fear.

I DEFINITELY have bat wings and I definitely have wiggly inner thighs and a stomach fold/flap, but they basically look like a deflated version of the bigger me and not noticeable when I'm dressed. My husband is not put off by it and is WAY more attracted to me when I'm at a healthy weight - loose skin and all.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:05 PM   #19  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

I lucked out with good genes, and I think losing is so slowly helped a bit. Also, I think it may have helped that I was one size for a long time, I wasn't a yo-yo'er who gained/lost 100 lbs., only ever 25 or so.... but mostly genetics is the answer

regardless, I'd take hanging skin over being fat any day
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:25 PM   #20  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

Height: 5'6"

I don't know anything about the "why" but I do know I'm lucky to not have hardly any loose skin. My start stats were about the same as OP (5'6", 273) so to her I say...there is hope.

I lost about 50 pounds over the course of two years, yoyo-ed between the same 30ish pounds for 6 years, and over the last year and a half have lost nearly 60 pounds. I have a teensy bit of flappy skin on my inner thighs and barely obvious "bat wings" but with exercise I'm seeing a noticeable change in those. My belly is firming right up (and it was definitely the hugest part of me when obese).

One factor that may matter in my case is that even at my highest weight (273) my fat wasn't all jiggly and dangly. I was pretty solid and "carried my weight well." Also, I've never been pregnant or had a baby.

So, OP, do what you need to do to lose the weight and get healthier and hope for the very best as far appearance goes.

Last edited by Novus; 06-23-2014 at 01:27 PM.
Novus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:54 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 279/257/180

Height: 5'7"

Thanks, Novus. I am doing exactly what you suggested. I'm losing the weight no matter what, and if I have jiggly skin left over, I'll worry about that then. I did look at a couple of videos and saw people that had lots of extra skin and watched their journey with a total body lift surgery. I'm going to start saving for surgery. If it turns out that it's not necessary, I'll have a great time spending that money on a new wardrobe!
HeeHawHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:36 AM   #22  
apple to apple core

S/C/G: 275/215/175

Height: 5'7"

HeeHawHoney, we have very similar stats plus I'm just a few years older than you At one point I had lost about 85 lbs, but I'm back to 3FC after a regain of about 15 lbs. I figured my loose skin situation was going to be horrific, but it has not been the nightmare I expected. I have a lower abdomen uh "situation" but it's easily hidden under clothing with shapewear. My batwings look like I'm cleared for takeoff, but aren't that noticeable as I don't wear sleeveless shirts or walk around with my arms held out horizontally Although far from perfect, nothing is anywhere near bad enough to consider cosmetic surgery, at least to me. Besides the lower abdomen and batwings, everything else retracted just fine so far, or at least acceptably. There really is no way to predict. Try not to worry!

At one point, I think around the 50ish lbs lost mark, I swear I looked like a melting candle!! I was very distressed! However I kept at it, and the melted candle stage passed and I just looked smaller. If this happens to you, just push on through It's really crazy how different fat deposits go away before others, and not in the most attractive order either, lol.
TooWicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:36 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 305/300/180

Height: 5'10''

I have dealt with this before as well. At one point my heaviest weight was 250 ( My current all time heavy weight is 315) and I did zumba and super healthy smoothies and real food eating and was super strict.

I hated it but I lost 50lbs and can remember how crazy it was to have the belly flap and dimply thighs! I was terrified of getting naked and seeing myself in a mirror let alone let my boyfriend see me! But it was a heck of a lot better than being fat. It certainly felt rewarding to see physically the effects of my efforts. I am beginning zumba again but I will be a little more lenient on the dieting so I don't crash after I reach goal (like I did after I hit 200 and then zoomed up to 315 in about 3yrs).
sparky09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:54 AM   #24  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

Candidcamster I just wanted to say I loved your post! So positive and so true.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:32 PM   #25  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

Just wanted to add my support to not let the issue of loose skin discourage you. Everyone is different and it may not even be much of an issue for you.

I ended up with what I think is quite a bit of loose skin, but I'm still really happy with my results. As others have mentioned, it doesn't show at all in clothes. I've never regretted losing the weight because of it.
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 05:44 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 256/251/145

Height: 5'6"

I have lost 85lbs so far. I have some loose skin. I do not know if some of that will tighten up. However I would rather have extra skin than fat. My plan is when I am done loosing weight I will just fold up the skin and stuff it in a spanx!
scarletmeshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:17 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 337.7/336.8/269

Height: 5'6

I am late, but thank you @ Nonameslob. I've been viewing before and after pictures and videos of tons of women (and some men) who have gone through a dramatic weight loss journey (100+ lbs. or more) some have the loose skin and some don't. Your guess is as good as mine as to how the OP or I, or anyone else with a significant amount of weight to lose will turn out. So all we can do, is what we can do. I am going to use any lotion that I think will help w/stretch marks & firmness, exercise (eventually ) eat right, try not to lose too fast (I aim for around 1.5 lbs. a week, and at my size sometimes I beat that number, sometimes I don't, the body is a funny thing and kind of does what it wants) and just hope & pray for the best.

It took many years to appreciate my fat body, and I am so thankful I do now, and it is this fat body that will carry me on the journey to a smaller & healthier one. If I am to have loose skin as a result of being heavy most of my life so be it, as mentioned most people have an easier time w/extra skin than a lot of extra adipose filling it. I wish us all of the best, let's keep losing until we reach our healthy goals, and just do the best that we can. *lots of hugs* I am so thankful to be a part of this awesome community!
Candidcamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:54 PM   #28  
Big Miss Sunshine

S/C/G: 280/See Ticker/175

Height: 72.5"

Default Melting Candle LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooWicky View Post

At one point, I think around the 50ish lbs lost mark, I swear I looked like a melting candle!! I was very distressed! However I kept at it, and the melted candle stage passed and I just looked smaller.
The melting candle is a great metaphor. Love it!

I notice that as I lose weight/fat I go through stages where the rest of my body has to catch up.

OP: Just keep on doing what is best for your health. Anything cosmetic you can take on later but being healthy has a beauty all its own.
MissKoo is offline   Reply With Quote