Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 06:07 AM   #16  

I find withdrawals can last 3-4 days headache wise.

I am going to be the dissenter on diet soda. I do have diet coke in restaurants, but I drink coke zero at home, which is Splenda not aspartame, but regardless, I will continue to drink it as I drink diet IBC and haven't looked to see how it is sweetened.

With that being said, it is a personal choice what we eat and drink and a choice to discount or believe what people including dr's say. I find that whatever works for you, works for you and whatever decisions you make are yours alone to make.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:13 AM   #17  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gma22 View Post
but I drink coke zero at home, which is Splenda not aspartame
While the formulation varies in different countries, I just wanted to step in and clarify that here in the states Coke Zero actually does contain aspartame. Diet Coke with Splenda is the variety that uses sucralose.

Regardless, I totally agree that what we choose to believe and consume is a personal decision. And as I've previously stated, I believe that aspartame may affect everyone differently, in the same way I can't drink apple juice but others can with no problem. I still feel very lucky that I finally managed to figure out what was causing my issues; even before the migraines got bad, the sweetener was making me experience fatigue and horrible brain fog. If I accidentally consume some while I'm out it's no big deal, but I'm extremely careful about reading labels because I don't ever want to give it the chance to build back up in my system again.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:58 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 327/239.6/199

Height: 5'5"

I gave up my 6 can a day diet coke habit about a year and a half ago. I only drink water now. I quit slowly so didn't really have any withdrawal.
Although I can't say it has helped with my weight loss I believe it has helped with my overall "healthiness". I did have one can at New Year's last year and it tasted disgusting.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:41 PM   #19  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

I, too, was a lover of the diet coke lol

I gave it up, not so much for any health benefit, but simply because in my mind it equated with a treat/snack.

diet coke and chips, yum!
diet coke and chocoalte, yum!

I was the most 'junkie like' about that beverage, more so than any food. The weird panicky feeling in my gut when I was home on a weekend, thinking "will I have enough to see me thru to MOnday???" LOL

Now I happily drink water with meals, and limit diet cokes for nights out
Old 11-25-2013, 03:01 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 200/see ticker/138

Height: 5ft 3

im now in week 6 of no fizzy juice at all. I stopped cold turkey and had really bad headaches for the first 4 days, after that it wasnt so bad.
It might be my imagination but i dont think i look or feel as bloated and my skin has improved a little. Its softer and clearer.
now i drink water or sugar free diluting juice.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:32 PM   #21  

Height: 5'2"

I have cut back on my consumption of diet coke, although I am drinking one right now. I do drink a lot of water. I have found that that I like to put fresh fruit in my water and it gives it a great taste. I sometimes use lemon or strawberries. My overall favorite though is cutting up a few slices of cucumber and putting it in my water. Delish!
Old 11-25-2013, 06:08 PM   #22  
Beautiful, Sexy, Skinny

S/C/G: 320/Ticker/200

Height: 5'10

For most people the withdrawl lasts a few days...itll get better promise!!

As far as dr. Oz...I dont think hes a complete crackpot...I do advise that you take whats on his show with a grain of salt though; do aditional research on your own on top of what he says.

As far as stopping diet coke wtg!! I dont think the acids or aspertame in soda is good for anyone and I KNOW aspertame personally affects my muscles. Good luck and you can do this!!!
Old 11-26-2013, 10:41 PM   #23  
Courtney

S/C/G: 244/see ticker/154

Height: 5'6 Age: 29

I realized a few weeks ago that I hadn't had a soda in a while and decided to just continue on the pattern. Luckily for me, I didn't notice the withdrawal. I do have a craving every now and then, but I read (on the internet, so take it with a grain of salt) that aspartame has e.coli feces in it. (genetically manufactured, but STILL!!) That was the end of that... my friend pointed out that honey was regurgitation but for some reason bees don't freak me out as much as bacteria poop. Ick!
Old 11-26-2013, 11:48 PM   #24  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Genetically manufactured e.coli feces in aspartame?! Now I think I really have heard it all.

I don't think that's very likely, or even theoretically possible.

E.coli is a bacteria that is common in feces, but it's also on your skin, right now! It's a bacteria that is virtually everywhere. If it's in aspartame, it's only there because it's EVERYWHERE and in virtually everything that hasn't been subjected to intense heat.

Even so, I would be surprised if a truckload of aspartame had as much e.coli bacteria as what's under your fingernails right now.

Last edited by kaplods; 11-26-2013 at 11:50 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:12 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 291/240.6/147

Height: 5'7"

I was drinking a 12 pack of Diet Coke every day, along with my coffee habit. I really do worry about the artificial sweetener and a 12 pack is too much by any standard. While I am not worried about caffeine itself, having that much all day long was actually making me chronically tired and my sleep wasn't great.

I didn't want to give up caffeine altogether because it does have some health benefits AND I need that punch in the morning and mid afternoon. I tend to drink my coffee black, so it's not like my caffeine comes swimming in fat and sugar (not that that isn't delicious). Anyway, when I found out I had high BP, one of the many things I read (in an actual book by a real doctor citing peer reviewed studies) was that two cups of drip coffee/day lowers blood pressure so I feel like ok with that amount.

As far as benefits, I sleep better and I'm not tired all day but that's probably more about getting my caf habit in check. While I do believe that artificial sweeteners are not good for you, especially in the massive quantities some of us are consuming, I don't think giving them up is some kind of miracle cure. Just like anything else, some people may be especially sensitive, but most of us are probably just fine.

One last word about Dr. Oz. - it's worth doing some reading on some of his claims. I am not anti-Dr. Oz. I think he's probably a good person. I've read several interviews with him and (credible) articles on him, I think he's very interested in new and non-traditional ideas and that's great. I also think that his platform is television and ratings count.

Last edited by TheSecondHalf; 11-27-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:58 AM   #26  

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
Genetically manufactured e.coli feces in aspartame?! Now I think I really have heard it all.

I don't think that's very likely, or even theoretically possible.

E.coli is a bacteria that is common in feces, but it's also on your skin, right now! It's a bacteria that is virtually everywhere. If it's in aspartame, it's only there because it's EVERYWHERE and in virtually everything that hasn't been subjected to intense heat.

Even so, I would be surprised if a truckload of aspartame had as much e.coli bacteria as what's under your fingernails right now.
Mythbusting is not all glamour and good feelings, eh? I prefer the myth to this ugly, ugly truth. (And I actually have more faith in your reporting of actual truths than I do most media doctors.)
Old 11-27-2013, 04:03 PM   #27  
Starting over

S/C/G: 195/185/140

Height: 5'3"

I too have scaled back on my Diet Coke drinking. It's one of those 'foods' that snowballs for me. I think, I'll enjoy one a day and it turns into 3. And then my kids want it and I know it's not healthy for any of us. So, I don't buy it in packs anymore.

I do let myself have one can from time to time. When we go out to dinner or just as a special treat. But, again, I'm only buying one can at a time and that works for me.

What I do buy in packs now is Sparkling Water. Presidents Choice makes the zero calorie/zero sugar/zero artificial flavours Blue Menu cans in Lemon, Lime and Orange. It took time for me to really like it but I like the fizz.

Good luck!

-----------------------
Dr. Oz cracks me up. Every show is a weight loss trick, just like the Women's World magazine
Old 11-27-2013, 04:58 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 212/156/145

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyfattimes3 View Post
Gee whiz!!!!!!! I didn`t ask for anyones opinion of Dr.Oz or diet coke. I am going to give up diet coke and continue watching Dr.Oz. What I had hoped was for people to post and tell how they got through withdrawls how long they dealt with them, what they drink now? I got one thank you for that. Everyone is so damn opinionated. I'm sorry I asked
I agree, I despise unsolicited advice. We get enough of that as it is. It's one of the reasons I seek out others who are doing as I do (low carb) because that is such a hot button. Personally, I believe aspartame is bad news, too; but mostly, I just HATE the taste of diet sodas. It may not be calories but it's still empty, it's so much better to drink water which is what I do. I have the occasional coffee or hot tea and iced tea I brew myself (no more mixes).

I don't know why anyone would be invested in what you drink to begin with let alone that you shouldn't drink diet soda because of Dr. Oz. I'm sure there are plenty of other people who no longer drink diet soda that have NOTHING to do with Dr. Oz since I've heard bad things about aspartame LONG before I ever heard of Dr. Oz.

Last edited by Mad Donnelly; 11-27-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:35 PM   #29  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

I actually saw that show and turned it off when he said, "it's impossible to lose weight while drinking diet soda."

Obviously not, as I've been drinking diet soda this entire time. (although no longer caffeine ones)

It drives me crazy when people say it's impossible to lose weight if you eat x food. It's not the food, it's the AMOUNT of it.

I commend you for giving up something you feel isn't good for you. Really any unnatural food probably isn't the best nutritional choice.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:34 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 291/240.6/147

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Donnelly View Post
I agree, I despise unsolicited advice. We get enough of that as it is. It's one of the reasons I seek out others who are doing as I do (low carb) because that is such a hot button. Personally, I believe aspartame is bad news, too; but mostly, I just HATE the taste of diet sodas. It may not be calories but it's still empty, it's so much better to drink water which is what I do. I have the occasional coffee or hot tea and iced tea I brew myself (no more mixes).

I don't know why anyone would be invested in what you drink to begin with let alone that you shouldn't drink diet soda because of Dr. Oz. I'm sure there are plenty of other people who no longer drink diet soda that have NOTHING to do with Dr. Oz since I've heard bad things about aspartame LONG before I ever heard of Dr. Oz.

There are opinions and there are facts. Those aren't the same. When someone is using Dr. Oz as their TV doctor, it might be useful for them to know that many of his claims are shaky at best, often disproved, and fringe and/or junk science. Many of his "experts" have no relevant credentials.

There's an article in The New Yorker that makes a pretty good starting point if you're interested.

Also, due to some posts that have circulated via email and Facebook, some people have the idea that giving up Diet Coke is going to be the key to eternal weight loss and...its just not. I agree that cutting back (for some) and giving it up (for me, because I LOVE IT and can't drink just some, I want it ALL, ALL the time) is a good idea, but you're not going to suddenly start shedding weight effortlessly.
Closed Thread