Old 05-17-2013, 07:29 AM   #16  
Start may 4th/2013

S/C/G: SW 230lbs/CW 211/GW 135lbs

Height: 5'4

Gravy In The South Is Looks Like What Is It White .. Lol We Get Alot Of americans Here On The Base Where I Work One Thing I Noticed They Dont Seem To Care For Our Version Of Gravy .. Lol And Hot Sauce They Eat It Allllll... I Love U Guys From The South U All Are Awesome Love The Accent Too

Last edited by MoniqueMclean; 05-17-2013 at 07:30 AM.
MoniqueMclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:54 AM   #17  

S/C/G: S/C/G 250/206/140ish

Height: 5'3"

I got my first ever elevated blood sugar on my last physical, and this is after decades of being overweight.

So, I started taking it all seriously. I can't speak to the different diets, because I don't really know what they are. I did watch and read some of Robert Lustig's works. From that I've been looking at the glycemic index and glycemic load of foods. I've cut out most grains. I'll have some bread now and again, preferably whole wheat, but it's not common. Things that I would make fairly commonly like rice/noodles are now mostly gone, although I do have some soba noodles on occasion. I do a lot more cooking for myself than I had, trying to be minimal on things like sauces and the like. I don't eat as many fruits; try to eat more veggies. In some cases, I've changed things around, such as going for sweet potatoes (no marshmallows) rather than white potatoes.

Anyway, last blood check, I'm back in the normal range. I'm also down about 30 lbs since the start of the year. I can't say it's always easy, but I found something that works for me. These are changes that are probably going to be for the rest of my life, so I view them that way rather than considering them as a diet.
bSpring3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:18 PM   #18  
Kelly

S/C/G: 310.6/239/160

Height: 5'9

bSpring3 - I had high blood sugar the last time I had my blood drawn and it definitely scared me straight. My father-in-law has lost both legs due to complications with diabetes, my grandmother died from complications due to diabetes, and my mother is diabetic. I do not want to go down that road! I've been doing a lot of the same things - I've cut out most bread, noodles, rice, etc. I don't eat any refined sugar or things that have refined sugar, and I've been trying to make my own sauces and dressings. And yes, trying to adapt habits that can be maintained for a long time seems to be the best course of action.
punkrocksong is offline   Reply With Quote