Old 05-05-2013, 05:26 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 215/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

That's interesting. I have a SIL who is seems naturally slim and she has stayed with us for days at a time, so I've been able to observe what she eats over time.

She never formally works out, but she is always moving. Cleaning, playing with her kids, walking to park, she is not lazy. She keeps her calories towards the lower end of things. I'd say 1,400 a day at most. She never drinks anything but tons of water. She does not snack after dinner and she goes to bed relatively early. I guess she's really not "naturally slim" now that I think about it; she has specific habits that contribute to it.

Anyway, it's interesting to think about. I wouldn't want to be her WL friend, not that she needs to lose weight, but I think it's a good point that we can learn from skinny friends

Last edited by AnnMarie77; 05-05-2013 at 05:30 PM.
AnnMarie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:35 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

I love the skinny girl tips too. My skinny friend eats out all the time. She has a kind of a glamorous life always out at these fancy places all dressed up and gorgeous. I always wondered how she did it as I never saw her picking the lo-cal plate or pushing most of the dinner away...

Turns out, on days when she's dining out she eats nothing all day, just drinks a cup of tea in the morning...

I don't think that would work well for me but, I have used the strategy a few times... usually when I've accidentally missed lunch due to time contraints, and then I have 900 or so calories to play with for dinner, which gives me a lot more leeway in what I eat.

I think maybe the "naturally slim" people just have found a set of habits that work for them, letting them eat great food, including high calorie stuff, from time to time, but keeping their overall intake low.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:48 PM   #18  
Start may 4th/2013

S/C/G: SW 230lbs/CW 211/GW 135lbs

everything in moderation they say.. I watch my husband and let me tell you he weighs 127 pounds haha a lot of muscle and eats like a bird or so it seems to me with my eating addiction he doesn't like greasy food he like home cooked meals .. he always busy moving whatever .. his metabolism is high and for good reason he isn't consuming hoards of calories and laying around .. yah so a skinny friend can definatly teach you thing or two
MoniqueMclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:37 AM   #19  
Claiming Victory!

S/C/G: 283/273/245 1st

I did have one at one time. I will never forget the day that she came to me nearly in tears. Her size 2 jeans didn't fit so she is wearing a size 4. I was a size 20. I'm thinking, surely you are expecting me to cry with you? Get the bleep outta here with that! Another one worked out like a fiend because she wanted to continue to buy her clothes in the kid's department. I just ended up working out and losing it on my own. This is my own personal experience. Of course yours may vary.
LuvMyMr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:44 AM   #20  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubergirl View Post
I think maybe the "naturally slim" people just have found a set of habits that work for them, letting them eat great food, including high calorie stuff, from time to time, but keeping their overall intake low.
Exactly. I think it's easy to get into a mindset that life isn't fair, and why is she skinny and I struggle so much.

P.S. And of course, some folks have real medical issues that make things harder, so not to discount that.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:48 AM   #21  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyMr View Post
I did have one at one time. I will never forget the day that she came to me nearly in tears. Her size 2 jeans didn't fit so she is wearing a size 4. I was a size 20. I'm thinking, surely you are expecting me to cry with you? Get the bleep outta here with that! Another one worked out like a fiend because she wanted to continue to buy her clothes in the kid's department. I just ended up working out and losing it on my own. This is my own personal experience. Of course yours may vary.
I have a skinny friend like this and she is always asking, do I look fat in this? On and on. Turns out she was bulimic so now I avoid talking about anything to do with weight loss or exercise or clothes or anything as I don't want to trigger her.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyMr View Post
Yah... one thing about my skinny friend is that she LITERALLY never once talked about her own weight, eating habits, calorie counting, workouts, etc. in my presence until I started expressing interest in it, talking about workouts, calories etc. She was totally sensitive about the issue and I always assumed that she was just "naturally skinny" and never thought about it-- which wasn't true at all.... but I do get my feelings hurt when I'm the lone fatty in a group of skinny people who all sitting at lunch eating nonfat yogurts and talking about how they don't want to get fat. I mean, honestly, how exactly do they think that makes me feel???
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:48 PM   #23  
sugar is the devil

Quote:
but I do get my feelings hurt when I'm the lone fatty in a group of skinny people who all sitting at lunch eating nonfat yogurts and talking about how they don't want to get fat. I mean, honestly, how exactly do they think that makes me feel???
I COMPLETELY agree. Many times in high school, a lot of my "skinny" friends always complained (to me nonetheless) that they were getting oh-so-fat. It upset me... If you think you are so fat, what do you think of me? Ginormous? I never voiced it as I didn't want to bring attention to myself. I think they just wanted to hear someone telling them they weren't fat . One friend ended up being bulimic, the other one somewhat anorexic. Now that is been 8 years since grad, I don't really take it so personally. Everyone has their own issues, and I just take it with a grain of salt as people have their own perceptions of their body. Plus, I know in overweight - and now I'm doing something about it.

Last edited by SweetScrumptious; 05-06-2013 at 12:52 PM.
SweetScrumptious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:24 PM   #24  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

My best friend is my weight loss buddy and she's very skinny. We struggle with many of the EXACT same issues. Our other friend (who was part of our weight loss group) was also thin and her struggles were NOT relatable at ALL.

For example, our other friend ate the exact same thing every day. Exactly the same. This is how she lost her weight. My best friend and I suffer from diet boredom and need to change things up. She could not understand why we couldn't just eat the same thing and lose weight.

So I think your question isn't whether you can have a weight loss friend who is skinny but is that friend someone that has struggles that you can identify with.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:58 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 265/see ticker/130

Height: 5'0

Hi, I'm new in the section of the forum, I hope you don't mind me chiming in...

When I was able to exercise, my greatest walking friends were thin, fit gals. They were very motivating and taught me a lot.

I have many overweight friends, but not all of them are ready to lose weight. If I hang out at my sister's house too long, I end up eating just like them; skipping meals and eating junk food. I have to pack a lunch and snacks if I plan on being there longer than a few hours during the day.

I think it's perfectly acceptable to take what you need from each friend as long as you're giving back!
MrsD2008 is offline   Reply With Quote