Old 03-02-2013, 07:42 PM   #1  
career counselor a-gogo

S/C/G: HW:~330 325/ticker/145

Height: 5'7

Default Water

Ok folks I need some opinions.

I do not drink nearly enough water (I know! I know!) I used to carry a water bottle around with me but even that doesn't seem to be working this time. I need some motivation or help or encouragement or kick in the bootie or SOMETHING because I think this is the next important step to add to my plan.
rodeogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:46 PM   #2  

I drink one liter bottles, 2 a day. Somehow the bottle isn't overwhelming to me when I think of it that way.

Drinking 2 of those gives me 66oz of water (I do flavored seltzer for the bubbly). I try to have one between morning and lunch, then the other between lunch and dinner. It's a no stress schedule and works so well for me.

I also drink black coffee, Crystal Light, black tea, diet soda once in a while, and Mio with plain water sometimes.

I do notice a difference in my scale if I have weeks I am not good with my water so I make it a priority and mark every ounce of everything in my food journal.

Hope this helps!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:52 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 286/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

Lemon, lemon, lemon!! Water with lemon has been able to get me off pop.

Are you drinking something else or just not drinking enough in general? It might help to try to have a glass of water before every meal.

One last thing to try if you have a smart phone. There is an app called Lift that I downloaded in Jan to help me with my new years resolutions, (one of which was to drink more water). You log in daily when you've completed the activity, and people give you props and encouragement to keep you going.

Good luck!
charliee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:17 PM   #4  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

I try to just always have a cup of water at my desk at work and at home. I spend far too much time sitting at my desk, but at least I am drinking water while I do!

I also use MiO drops, in order to get a little variety. I do like and drink a fair amount of plain water, but being able to add a little flavor helps a lot. I use just a tiny little squirt in about 18 oz of water - much less than instructions say but I find it to be plenty to lightly flavor the water.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:26 PM   #5  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

I found that getting a really good (double walled) water bottle (with a straw!) to keep at my desk at work, keeps me drinking it all day. It stays cold for quite a few hours and that makes all the difference. I drink one from about 8-12, then another full one at lunch, and one more until 3:30, so about a liter and half. At home, I have quit buying pop and just drink water, and the occasional milk. I just bought some of the Mio stuff to try, but I don't really have a problem with plain water. Using a Brita filter helps too. Water must be cold!

Edit: I also have noticed that now that we have a high arc faucet that pulls out, I am wayyyyyy more inclined to keep the brita pitcher full as we don't have a dishwasher, and most of the time, the sink is full of dishes. Honestly it makes a difference

Last edited by Silverfire; 03-02-2013 at 08:29 PM.
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: Highest:266/T/Size 8

Height: 5'4

Default One idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeogirl View Post
Ok folks I need some opinions.

I do not drink nearly enough water (I know! I know!) I used to carry a water bottle around with me but even that doesn't seem to be working this time. I need some motivation or help or encouragement or kick in the bootie or SOMETHING because I think this is the next important step to add to my plan.

Try one of these (you can buy it at amazon, casa, bed bath & beyond, all sorts of places):

Fresh citrus, or buy cheap frozen berries or some cucumbers - all sorts of things - pop it in the middle and give it an hour or so. ALL kinds of tasty fun, healthy hydration goodness

http://www.target.com/p/fruit-infusi...r/-/A-11209652

Also, echoing what others have said, get a good bottle (I use a camelbak) and take it everywhere.
SarahFairhope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:49 AM   #7  
Restart 11/2012 at 153lbs

S/C/G: Hw194/Sw160/Cw120/gw125

Height: 5'2" on the dot!

I know this may sound silly but if I drink let's say arrowhead I hate the flavor and will avoid drinking it. But if I have certain brands that I feel taste good (love the Walgreens store brand, and it's always on sale) I have an easier time drinking them. Sometimes some prefer refrigerated water to room temperature to. I drink so much water I love it now, just got used to it. Ordered a tamarindo drink at a mexican food place yesterday it was so sweet I only had about an ounce. I carry a 24 pack of water in my trunk and take one in with me usually when I hit up fast food places.
Many years ago when I worked at ups they drilled the importance of water to us. waterways that when u mix your water with anything like kool aid your body has to work to remove the water from, so u end up with less water and over work something like your kidneys. I don't remember the exact words and I don't know if it's bull, but sometimes that bull stays with u and u live by it.
chubbiegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:20 AM   #8  
career counselor a-gogo

S/C/G: HW:~330 325/ticker/145

Height: 5'7

I definitely just don't drink enough in general. If I go out to eat I drink a lot of water but at home/work I don't drink very much.

I have a good water bottle and access to unlimited amounts of good ice at work so really I have no excuse. heh
rodeogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:13 AM   #9  
Sue finding inner song

S/C/G: 313.4/298.2/160

Height: 5' 4" 3/4

Hello Rodeogirl.

Gosh drinking water has made a big difference with weight loss. For weeks all I drank was tea (with Saccarine) and Wyler;s Pink Lemonade (SF) and I lost alittle. Lbs up and down and up and down. But since I started drinking mostly water.. I have lost more weight in a week than I did in 3 weeks prior. For some reason the water does not affect my body like the Sugar Free substitutes and caffeine did. Good Ole Cold water is yummy. I wonder if getting a fun bottle to drink it out of would help?

I wish you well and achievement in your goals!
wannaskipandlaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:53 AM   #10  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeogirl View Post
I definitely just don't drink enough in general. If I go out to eat I drink a lot of water but at home/work I don't drink very much.

I have a good water bottle and access to unlimited amounts of good ice at work so really I have no excuse. heh
Maybe try setting your self a reminder for something like every half an hour to remind you to drink water while at work or at home. There might even be an app for that!
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:41 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 270/266/160

I find that if I put ice cubes in my water and use a straw I drink more. Something about the straw. I have to have it right in front of me too at my desk. In the evening when watching tv i set it on the side table next to me. That really works. I read somewhere that you should drink half your body weight in water. I don't think I've ever done that though.
Snowtopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:10 PM   #12  
Dukanista

I didn't think about it, but yes, I always use a straw and I think that really helps.

This is funny but I *love* McDonald's straws - they are wider than normal straws and I definitely drink more with them. I've even looked to see if I could find them to buy on the internet, but no luck. Maybe some day I'll stop in a McDonalds and see if they'll sell me a box!! lol! Will they mind if I say "I don't want to eat your food, but will you sell me some straws?"
Old 03-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #13  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by April Snow View Post
I didn't think about it, but yes, I always use a straw and I think that really helps.

This is funny but I *love* McDonald's straws - they are wider than normal straws and I definitely drink more with them. I've even looked to see if I could find them to buy on the internet, but no luck. Maybe some day I'll stop in a McDonalds and see if they'll sell me a box!! lol! Will they mind if I say "I don't want to eat your food, but will you sell me some straws?"
Look in an Asian grocery for straws for "bubble tea". It's a drink that has tapioca pearls in the bottom of it, and it uses an extra-wide straw to be able to suck up the pearls.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:04 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by April Snow View Post
Your posts are so funny and honest, I love them!!! And you are so right, the straws are a bigger opening!!

I do admit that I take a straw at Dunkin Donuts even when I get a hot coffee. The extra long ones fit in my shake bottle so I don't have to pour it all over myself trying to get that very last sip. And why yes, I do slurp to get every last drop!!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:56 PM   #15  
Dukanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by synger View Post
Look in an Asian grocery for straws for "bubble tea". It's a drink that has tapioca pearls in the bottom of it, and it uses an extra-wide straw to be able to suck up the pearls.
I actually bought some of those but they are too wide. I am using them for now, but I am still not in straw nirvana.

Elvis, if I do go to MickeyD's (I still take my son sometimes), I will grab extra straws, but I don't feel right taking more than 3. And I don't go nearly often enough for that to be enough - they just tantalize with what I am missing.

But I seriously am going to go in and see if they will sell me some.