Old 02-25-2013, 08:34 AM   #31  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Welcome back! Glad to see you.

I think most of us come and go as we are motivated or as we slip in our weight-loss journeys. The fact that you're back here is a great step forward to getting back in the swing of things. I've done it over and over again, myself!

The best way to re-start is to pick one or two easy steps in your plan, and do them. You're already in the motivated state, as evidenced by your return here. When I restart, I tend to begin with what I can easily control... breakfast. I make changes to that. Then to lunch.

Dinner is always the hardest, because that's when we eat out, or at least I'm eating with others in my family who have other tastes and may not want to eat what's in my plan. So I don't worry about that at first.

Get solid in the things you can easily control for yourself. For me, that's breakfast, lunch, and a short walk every other day or so.

Then you can work on the harder aspects, like dining out and parties, and the day to day grind of "What's for dinner?!"

And we'll be here every step of the way to help, to encourage, to offer advice (or a kick in the pants if it's wanted!).
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:17 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 277/ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

Welcome back and congratulations for making the decision to take your life back! I've been in your position (lost 60 lbs, then gained it all back plus an additional 6 lbs) and it's no fun. I've hid my head in the sand on weight issues for most of my adult life, and it took serious health issues and avoidable pregnancy complications to get me to face facts. But the first step is acknowledging that you need to get back on the ball, and you've definitely come to the right place for motivation and support. Good luck to you as you (re)start this life-changing journey!
allieballiebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:00 PM   #33  
|| Casey ||

S/C/G: 297/ticker/145

Height: 5'7.5"

@marigrace: Thanks! I'm trying to see it that way, lol.

@rodeogirl: I have been trying to do the mindful eating thing the past couple days, and it has been helping curb my hunger a lot more easily. I feel more satisifed after eating, so it has eased any rush between meals. Great thing to keep in mind!

@Daimere: I got a free pedometer from a work function from my last job; I need to test it out again and see how well it works. I wonder how many steps I can get in this week? Haha.

@PolkadotManda: There's not much that slaps you in the face like a wake-up call on your scale...so, I definitely know what you mean! And, I need to look into that myfitnesspal app, because I seem to hear a ton about it. When I was losing all the weight before, I was using the LiveStrong MyPlate site, but it would be nice to have something on the go.

@Synger: That's very good advice that I will certainly be taking to heart. I will change NOW what I can change now and work on making the necessary changes over the next couple weeks to set up a permanent lifestyle. That makes getting back into the groove much less overwhelming.

@allieballiebee: Hiding my head in the sand is exactly what I did for pretty much all of 2012. I'm glad we're both back out into the light on the issue of our health!
opheliaphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:17 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 304/236/160

Height: 5'7

Chin up--things aren't as bad as they seem. You have your health, you're young, pretty and smart.

I started my current weight loss at 304 lbs. so you are already 22 lbs. less than where I began! It took me 6 weeks to lose that first 22 lbs. Think of where you will be in only 6 weeks--maybe 260? If you commit to a good plan, the weight comes off fast in the beginning and it's really rewarding.

My first action was to remove foods that cause me to get hungry. I had been on other diets in the past (as we all have) and the low-fat or low-calorie ones just left me starving, hungry and resentful. No wonder I couldn't stick to them. I didn't know that "fat-free pretzels" were just about the worst thing I could eat. Or that the "whole-grain bread" was really sending my blood sugar spiking. Besides the weight, a big clue that I was eating the wrong foods was the incredible drowsy feeling that I experienced after a meal--I just wanted to sit on the couch and take a nap.

Then I read all about the metabolic syndrome and realized that it described my body to a tee. I have higher blood sugar and a slow metabolism and high carb foods are the worst thing for me. It's also called glucose intolerant.

No sugar and no wheat (gluten) was the first choice I made. No more sandwiches for lunch--replaced with salads; no cereal, pancakes, waffles, or toast for breakfast--replaced with yogurt, fruit, and eggs; and no dessert after dinner--replaced with nothing (sigh). The first three days were very hard as my body adjusted, but then I simply wasn't hungry anymore. Of course I still love the taste of food, but I'm not feeling those hunger pangs anymore so it's way easier to stay on the plan now.

For the second part of the equation--exercise--I think your idea of getting a bicycle is terrific. I bought a bicycle 3 months after I started on the diet. They have such wonderful bicycles for women today compared to when I used to ride ten years ago. Get a commuter style bicycle--they have great gears, super comfy seats, and you sit upright. It's a good way to get back into the exercise routine.

I have since joined a gym and I'm doing toning routines and weight resistance to firm up. I plan on going to some of the dance classes after I get down to about 235 lbs where I know I will be able to keep up with the class.

All options are yours. As Tom Petty sings, "The future is wide open".
palomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:32 PM   #35  
back on track, again!

S/C/G: 307/see the ticker/healthy

Height: 5'8"

Welcome back! We can do this again!
NavyWifeDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:16 PM   #36  
|| Casey ||

S/C/G: 297/ticker/145

Height: 5'7.5"

Thank you, guys! You have all helped so much more than you know.

Palomino: That actually sounds a lot like me. I will have to look into the metabolic syndrome you're talking about. My mother is insulin-resistant and swears up and down that I am too, so I can see how that could correlate easily with glucose intolerance if what she believes is true. Seems I have some studying to do today! Also, thank you for the bike recommendation. Still on the hunt, so wish me luck!

NavyWifeDee: Thank you...and, yes we can! We got this!
opheliaphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote