Starting AGAIN!!!

• I was on this forum five years ago and saw I had lost about 40 pounds - now after going up and down, up and down, I am back to the original weight from that year (although I have been about 15 pounds heavier).
    I hit the big 60 this year and it is not as easy as it once was to lose the weight. However, lately I have been obsessed with sweets!!! I am an artist and a teacher, and when I paint I am right next to the kitchen. I take breaks and eat junk food - sometimes so much it makes me feel lousy.

I am really discouraged because I see that it seems like nothing ever works permanently - for anyone. I watch Dr. Oz, all the shows and see the people just gain it back again. It is food addiction and there seems to be little hope for a permanent cure. Anyone else feel this way?
  • Yes, I have felt this way too. I have been successful in weight loss before, though not recently, only to gain it all back. Now I am at my heaviest. I have decided to try and make lifestyle changes that I will keep forever, and see if I lose any weight because of it. If I lose 10 pounds, and never gain it back again, then I'm going to consider it a victory. It is day 11 of doing this, and I refuse to weight myself until day 29. Currently, I'm eating 1 piece of fruit every day. My diet was so bad, it was not unheard of for me to go 2 weeks without eating any fruit. So I'm improving my diet just by this. But that is me. Find something you can stick with forever. Good luck to you!
  • Good luck to you too! I am just going to try minute by minute - This morning I did something I rarely do - ate eggs. I am going to try and reduce my carbs - so only one small piece of whole wheat bread this morning - 2 lite sausages. Like I said, it is going to be one step at a time.
    A friend of mine is eating low carb because (even though she is thin) she has pre-diabetes. She has lost 20 pounds just from doing this. My weakness is lack of veggies, so I am going to try and get more of those in my diet.
  • Hi redjb7 - so glad you are back. I don't imagine there are many folks here who have not had a similar experience as you describe. It's a life long process to have sanity with food. Hop on to your plan and move forward. As you well know folks here have wisdm, support and kindness.