Old 02-01-2011, 09:19 AM   #16  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonmb View Post

And I have thought many times about the age thing you bring up, Lottie. I'll be 40 this month, so I guess my "youth" is officially behind me. Along with it, a lot of the "OMG, I must have it all and NOW", basically spoiled brat thinking. I am finally growing up. A person definitely doesn't have to be 40 years old to finally GET REAL, but for a heathen like me, it has helped.

I think, too, that there are quite a lot of relatively healthy young people with weight problems -- the weight hasn't "caught up" with them yet. That was always me. My numbers/BP, etc were okay, no diabetes or any other weight related morbidities happening. Just knew I wasn't in the best of shape and sure would like to look cuter, but I guess deep down I thought I was going to dodge all of that -- that invincible feeling of adolescence that I kept well into my 30s. Almost overnight, my blood pressure was up, my fasting glucose was up, and I was really feeling the pounds. All of a sudden I really had to face the concept of my mortality and that I'm no longer a "healthy fat person", I'm sick, and I don't have a whole lot of years left if I don't do something about this. LITERALLY do not have a lot of years left if I don't stop this!
I think you may be onto something here. A lot of the people I know who keep at this even after lots of other attempts, and finally get the weight off, are a bit older. When asked what makes this "try" different, they often cite health issues, from aching knees and ankles to diabetes and high blood pressure.

it's not universal, of course. Many younger people lose weight successfully, too. Maybe I just am more aware of those my own age (mid-40s) with health issues.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:14 AM   #17  
If you wanna Rock It . .

S/C/G: 248/164*low*/145

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverlyjoy View Post
Thanks for the link. Seems like the key is changing your life and adapting healtheir eating and moving habits. We have to be ready and willing to do this.
I can't open the link for some reason, but I've always thought the 5% was accurate, BUT, it's because people are 'dieting' they aren't changing their lifestyle. That's something that does come with age, you accept that you really do need to change your life style.
Going on a diet for a month or a year even, you will lose weight, sure. But if you go back to the old ways - why would you think that you wont gain it back.
I think that is where the 5% come in, they diet, they don't change.

Just my 2 cents there.
Coondocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:50 AM   #18  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

coondocks, the article is saying that the statistics are saying that these days it's more like 20%.

I'm sure the internet has something to do with it. ha.
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote