Old 07-07-2010, 12:53 AM   #16  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubergirl View Post
Just one more thing I wanted to add.... because I think about this often.

Our bodies are INCREDIBLY FORGIVING MACHINES....

People always say "It took a long time to gain, so don't expect to lose it overnight..." And it's true, you can't really lose it "OVERNIGHT" but the weirdest thing is that you actually CAN undo most of twenty years worth of damage in only one year.

ONLY. ONE. YEAR.

And that never ceases to amaze me.

I ate crap, whatever, whenever, and WAY TOO MUCH for most of my life and I've been able to undo the lion's share of that damage in just a little over 365 days.

I sat on a sofa and didn't exercise for YEARS and I've been able to turn myself into a runner in about six months.

Am I the fastest runner in the world in six months, no. Do I have a perfect bikini body and Jillian Michaels abs in just one year? No.

But, hot dang, for a woman who just turned 49 I think I look really good.

How I look today reflects the choices I made in the last 365 days much more than the choices I made during the twenty years prior to that.

I find that pretty darn amazing!
Great perspective.... a wonderful way to look at the miracles we are, thanx!!
Bunti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:25 PM   #17  

Ubergirl, I have pasted your above post into a document that is part of my daily motivation-- thanks again.
Bunti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:07 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 236/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Mama View Post
I lose years of overeating the way I put it on - one choice, one item at a time.
This is how I started, otherwise I would have found it FAR too daunting a task. First, I cut out my "treats": chips, chocolate, no more cookies, etc. Once I noticed my clothes getting looser, I took a deep breath and climbed on the scale. Ouch. That only helped me commit to losing it, though. As you can tell by my join date, I've been losing a LOT slower than most here. I'm having a lot of fun on the way, though, and I don't dis-allow myself ANYTHING.

Also find a type of exercise that thrills you and makes you happy. For me, that was Zumba. My Zumba instructor has whipped over 20 lbs. off of my body in the past year and I absolutely love it still. The days I don't Zumba, I hit the treadmill for an hour at at time. Sometimes I treadmill AND Zumba. It actually feels good.

Good luck and welcome.
ChrissyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:24 PM   #19  
WW start date: 6-14-10

S/C/G: 236/215.4/135

Height: 5'5"

Looking at the entire amount you'd like to do can be so overwhelming... I'm shooting for a 100lb loss, but even THINKING about it is discouraging. Just take it one day, one choice at a time, and believe in yourself. I KNOW you can do it, and you have a wonderful husband to help you, and a daughter for motivation.
I don't look at it as a "diet" because diets have a beginning and an end. I look at it as a lifestyle change- changing the way we do things, be it activities, celebrations, snacks, and mealtimes, to make a BETTER ME, and help my (future) children be healthy. I want to be healthy for them, just as much as I do for myself.
Just about any plan works. Atkins. Calorie counting. Weight Watchers. South Beach. You can find success with any of them, or you can ditch the formal plans altogether, and just make better choices. No matter which route you go, just pick one that's REALISTIC for YOU, and don't let one poor treat or dessert throw you off all day or all week.
Now I suppose I'm just rambling. Welcome to the forum, and I hope you take this journey WITH us, we're all here to support and encourage. I KNOW you can do it.
corgiXpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:13 PM   #20  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

S/C/G: 272/228/under 200 for now

Height: 5'0"

Hey Lala! We're neighbors! I live in Whispering Pines!

I can completely relate to what you're saying. I'm in the same boat right now.
I'm not sure how I'm going to stop this vicious cycle at the moment but it's about to come to a screaming halt. I have had it!
hpnodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:22 AM   #21  
I love you more than food

S/C/G: 281/276/200

Height: 5'3"

Hello to all! Thank you so much for the kind words...So here is my recap for the last four days. I have cut all beverages out and just drank water (Feel like I am going to drown) and as far as food I think I have done really ok no extra sauces (which I am a sucker for). I have walked for the past four days also. And I do feel better. Just wanted to say thanks so much for the words of incouragement they mean alot! Hey hpnodat we should get together some time maybe do like a weekly checkin thing if you are up for it just let me know. oh and by the way your quote is priceless I have used it so many times On a side talking about my wonderful husband....he has gotten up with me every morning and walked with me and ask me everyday so what did you eat today? I know so people look at that as him checking in on me but to me it makes me feel like I have to account for it and that makes me feel good! Will post more later! thinks guys! Weigh in on Sunday so I will let you know!
lala1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:33 PM   #22  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

S/C/G: 272/228/under 200 for now

Height: 5'0"

Sure, I'd love to do a weekly check-in with you.
hpnodat is offline   Reply With Quote