Old 05-22-2010, 10:30 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Unhappy I'm discouraged...

You know, most of the time I feel really upbeat about my whole weight loss enterprise, but tonight I'm feeling really discouraged.

I "say" that the scale doesn't bother me, but this week, the scale has been my FOE-- this morning I was up four pounds. I mean, that's just crazy: FOUR! I've been eating on plan an exercising-- I feel really bloated. There's no reason for it-- no high calorie days, no exercising slacking. Nothing.

Then today, I went for a run, and instead of feeling happy and excited, I felt kind of down-- I run really slow, and I just don't seem to pick up conditioning as fast as a lot of other people... I KNOW I shouldn't compare, and I should be proud of myself...

I'm falling into that mode where I feel like I'll the be the only person in the history of mankind whose weight loss permanently stops even while eating on plan and exercising.

Even after 90+ pounds lost, I STILL feel like I'll always be overweight, out of shape, and slow.

I'm sure I'll get through this, but right now, I'm just feeling kind of low.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:51 PM   #2  
Not Giving Up!

S/C/G: 351/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I know it's tough. I think most of us who've been doing this for awhile have experienced those same issues with the scale, with the feeling that we aren't as good as someone else, we aren't making the same progress.

But you also know that if you just keep sticking with it, you'll break through. The scale will begin to cooperate again, and your body will respond to your training.

But yeah, I completely understand - there were days back in April when I wanted to pull my hair out, the scale was moving so darn slow or in the reverse direction. I think the fact that you're so close to a major milestone is also compounding the frustration (and maybe that stress/anticipation is making your body cling to those ounces, even if it's just water weight).

A couple of good books for new runners (especially overweight adult runners) are those by John Bingham (nicknamed 'The Penguin'), specifically, The Courage to Start and No Need For Speed - they're informative and easy to relate to.

I'm sorry you're feeling down tonight, but know that you're not alone, and you will get through this.
LitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:55 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

ubergirl - I'm sorry you are feeling this way, especially when I look to you for inspiration! And you know what? I ALWAYS get it! You are amazing, you are running, eating healthy, down 92 pounds, you need to appreciate what your body has done for you.. it's pretty darn amazing if I do say so myself! You are amazing, and I'm SO happy and proud of how far you've come in less than a year!

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 11:03 PM   #4  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hey now - don't go there! You are making tremendous, steady progress! Look at how close you are to your sixth mini goal! You have done a great job! Don't get down because of what that scale reads for a few days ... You mentioned that you feel bloated - maybe drink your water and then enjoy a cup or two of tea in the evenings ... that helps me cut a little bloat, and also relax a bit

You are doing terrific! Maybe take a few minutes to really LOOK at how far you've come - what you can do now that you couldn't or wouldn't before ... you should be PROUD of that!
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 11:06 PM   #5  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 02:46 AM   #6  
Really maintaining now!

S/C/G: 375.6/low 160s maintaining

Height: 6'

I think we're all different, obviously, but I would be very surprised to find out that there are very many people who have lost a lot of weight who didn't get discouraged at some point or other in the process. I know I certainly have. It's a seriously big undertaking, you know? And in many ways, it's like any other long-term project: sometimes, you bog down. You start off all enthusiastic and highly motivated, and progress is made and then...you reach the slogging point. There's a lot that's been done, but there's still plenty left to do, and right now it's difficult and it feels like you're floundering around pointlessly and my goodness, will this EVER END?

Here's the thing: I've hit those points so many times along the way. I'm kind of in one right now, even though the scale went my way for a nice little streak recently. I really try to stay enthusiastic and positive, and most of the time I am, because overall, this has been amazing and so rewarding, but holy cow, I have been at this for almost 20 months now, and I am still not done. Close, yeah, but my husband was playing with his camera while we were out in the garden yesterday, and took a bunch of pictures of me, and when I looked at them, did I see how good I looked? Did I, ****! My eyes zoomed right in on my troublesome waist and little stomach pooch, and even though I KNEW that part of the problem was my ill-fitting clothing making me look schlumpy around the middle, all I could think was, wait, all this work, nearly 200 bloody awful pounds lost, and I still look fat? (I don't, really. I don't look, you know, reed-slim, but no, I don't look fat, but tell that to my hypercritical eyes.)

Add to this the fact that the recent loss streak ended, and I have been stuck where I am, in spite of STELLAR eating and exercise, and I have been doing this for ages and blah blah blah. The "it's all physics!" people can kiss my bum, because with all the supposed calorie deficit I've created over the last 20 months? I should've been done ages ago.

Ahem. Sorry for making this all about me, but my point is that I think frustration and discouragement from time to time is completely normal. Plus, you say you've been bloated, and oh honey, I have been there, and there is NOTHING that will make me feel more miserable and discouraged than being bloated, because it feels so incredibly awful. Even though I know it'll go away, I see the bloat, my brain registers it as FAT FAT FAT, and until it goes away I am a little bit crazy. But there is a real silver lining to this particular storm cloud: I grit my teeth, and I keep going, because what else am I going to do? However hopeless it feels at that moment, it's nothing compared to how hopeless it felt at my top weight. I keep going, the bloat shifts, the scale moves, the clothes loosen, and I know that even though it felt completely otherwise, I was, in fact, making progress during that period of time when it felt as if nothing good was happening, and it just took a while for my body to catch up and the progress to register.

You have already done something tremendous, and something that all too many people never quite manage to do, which is lose 90 pounds. 90 pounds is incredible. Until you've lost that kind of weight, you will never really understand just how much work it takes, the kind of commitment and reserves of determination it requires. Anybody who loses weight understands that it's a lot of work, but for those of us who had a really big mountain to climb, work to do far in excess of knocking off 20 or 30 pounds, those of us who have or had that unpleasant tag of "morbidly obese," well, we're generally looking at much, much more time spent in pursuit of getting to goal. I don't think this can be emphasized enough: it takes time. In addition to all the hard work, all the controlled eating, all the exercise, all of that, above all what it takes is time and patience. We don't get the "Lose 10 pounds and fit into your bikini by summer!" stuff. I mean, I used to see those blurbs on magazines and just roll my eyes, because, yeah, right. Does not apply.

The time is going to go by anyway, as it's often said, and it's very true. We're following a process that doesn't lead to much instant gratification, but there does come a point, such as where you are right now, where I am right now, where you do look back, and see all the time has passed, and while you're not there yet, dammit...hey, look at that. The pounds do slowly stack up, and there's a great big pile of them behind you, and if you keep giving it time, and working towards it, even through this current stall, the pile of pounds lost is going to be even bigger. In time.
catherinef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 02:58 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 270/208.6/165 (HW285)

Height: 6'

I don't think that I have anything to add. I just wanted to say hang in there and DON'T QUIT. Keep moving forward, the awful bloating will go and the bleeping scale will catch up.
mkyice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 06:06 AM   #8  
Fighting The Binges

S/C/G: HW274/RW215?/GW137

Height: 5' 4"

I'm so sorry you're feeling this way Uber
I do know how you feel, I feel in a total funk today just thinking of the bad couple of days I've just had and the next couple of weeks coming up and the difficulties I'm going to have with staying on plan and not being able to workout as much as usual due to school holidays etc.
I can honestly say I feel absolute terror and panic when I get several days when the number on the scale stays the same or goes up. Terror that this time I thought was finally IT, for me to lose all the weight, wasn't really, it was just a really good dream I've now woken up from, and the morbidly obese me is going to come out from the behind the curtain and laugh at me and say, good try, but sorry, you don't deserve it....
But like others have said, what option do we really have? Give up and go back to the way we were faster than we can say diet, or just keep trying and hope that this isn't a dream and we will get there in the end?
I haven't worked out and have eaten off plan for two days as hubby and I have been away for a child free weekend. Granted we walked MILES but I still feel like crap today. Although we had a wonderful time today I just want to sit and cry and beat myself up over it. Instead I'm sloshing the water down, planning healthy meals for the day, and going to the gym this afternoon to try to start to repair the damage. I don't want to do any of this, but I'm doing it, and I know I'll feel better tonight than I do now...
Keep your chin up, and when you think you're not getting anywhere, especially with regards to running, remember when you first started C25K... You're amazing, remember that.
Loving Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 07:23 AM   #9  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Oh I'm so sorry that you're going through this *blah* phase. But know that that's just what it is - a phase. This too shall pass, kinda sucks while you're going through it and there is no way AROUND it - just through. But it will pass and you WILL be feeling all proud and gung ho again and ready to tackle the final next goal in front of you.

STick with it, stick with it, stick with it - no matter what - whether you feel like it or not - and I know you will and I'm certain a nice woosh will be headed your way and before you know it, you will be back in that groove.

Meanwhile, go take a look at some of your before photos, your old clothing and revel in all that you have accomplished. Remind yourself what you have done and will continue to do.

This journey is never a straight path, there are so many twists and turns - just makes it that much more rewarding.

I look forward to hearing of a new scale low for you very shortly and of you getting some of that oomph back - both of them are coming.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:23 AM   #10  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I read my own posts on here and sometimes I think I sound like I talk out of both sides of my face. There are days I'm here saying "The scale makes no difference to me" and at the time I type those words I MEAN them. And then there are days I come on and say "Oh, woe is me! The dag-gone scale is not moving!" And I mean it then too!! This journey is nothing if not an emotional roller coaster! There are only so many days in a row that my self-confidence is strong enough to withstand a stalled or gaining scale.

But, I would like to remind you of something I told you before. Do you remember those 25-ish pounds lost pictures you posted recently and all of us had re-read what you wrote several times because we all thought those pictures represented your entire weight loss? I remind myself of those pictures EVERY time I get angry with the scale. You can't see it because it's YOU and that's very unfortunately because I promise you, I found that very motivating! Just knowing that I see something so incredible in you and that you don't see it gives me strength to know that my mind is probably playing equal tricks on me.

I wish so much that somebody could give you the same gift you gave me without even meaning to.

Last edited by Eliana; 05-23-2010 at 08:24 AM.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:59 AM   #11  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I agree with looking back on how far you've come to help get through this phase...it'll help you refocus on you From what you wrote you sound like you are comparing yourself with others & when you do that, even loosely, it's no longer your own journey.

Our bodies are the most complex machine out there so just go through the check list that has been working for you and include outside factors in. I know because of the heat (it's hitting 100 here already) I'm retaining a lot more water than I normally do so I'm trying to get more water in!
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:47 AM   #12  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Ubergirl, I hope you are feeling better this morning. So many excellent points made here. I agree about the heat causing your body to hold onto water. But also just think about how your body is changing inside. Your organs and muscles and everything are readjusting to your new 90 lb. loss. It seems like now would be a good time to use your clothes to judge your size. Your body is reshaping itself even if your scale is not reflecting that.
ledom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:56 AM   #13  
I want to feel better

S/C/G: 291.2/???/healthier

Height: 5 foot 3.5 inches

you've gotten some great advice here that I can't top. But, thank you for posting, because it is good to know that others feel like I do sometimes.

You will get through this!!!!
MablesGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:18 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

{{{hugs}}} You know I am right here cheering you on.

It could be a tough phase. It sounds almost like it could be hormonal. Sometimes I hit a bloaty, icky, irritable, wanna-cry patch and it's often related to the female cycle (midcycle or endcycle). If you can correlate it to anything, it might be easier to get through.

But regardless you are doing a wonderful thing for yourself. I just want you to know you have lots of support here and you will get through it and feel better! Until then, try to take good care of YOU and be extra kind and gentle to yourself.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:24 AM   #15  
Argh.

S/C/G: 308/273/175

Height: 5'9"

Uber, I'm here cheering you on too. No good advice, but lots of commiseration.
calluna is offline   Reply With Quote