Old 05-11-2010, 08:51 AM   #16  
Loser :-)

S/C/G: 273/251/175

Height: 5ft8

Default Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShylahEQ View Post
I've ordered kids meals with a side salad before. You'd be amazed a LOT of places that will not want to accommodate you!
I've had servers at some restaurants tell me I couldn't order a meal from the kids menu. I can't blame them, the $3.99 for the kids meal is no where near the $15.99 entree on the adults menu. It is soooo true though that the kids sized portion is just the right size! I do ask though, it can't hurt! Some places have no problem with it.

Who needs a plate with enough food to serve an entire family?? Before I started this new lifestyle, I had gone out to lunch with a friend to a pasta place and ordered Fettucini. The food came on huge plate with as much food as I'd prepare for 4 grown adults. This was before I started eating healthily so I ate until I was full and STILL took home enough food for 2 servings at dinner!! Portion sizes have gotten ridiculous!

At fast food places when I do go (rarely) I do order off the kids menu or get a plain burger and drink, or a plain grilled chicken and drink.

Last edited by Michelle98272; 05-11-2010 at 08:53 AM.
Michelle98272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:59 AM   #17  

If they give me slack, my hubby and I will split one meal and each get a salad or soup. Or, if I'm feeling particularly crabby, I will just eat my side salad and not spend the money there!

I recently discovered the calories in items at a particular restaurant we enjoy. It kills me to know I used to eat a WHOLE meal there before.
ShylahEQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:03 AM   #18  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

It is not a money thing for me but a portion thing. I would gladly pay an adult price just to get the right portion size for me. Sat. I portion controlled by setting half aside but there are times that I find that hard to do.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:03 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 250/237/170

Height: 5'8"

Talking

We just went on vacation and stopped to eat fast food (so the kids could take a break and play on the equipment) and I ordered the kids meal hamburger with apples and a milk! It was funny because my girls (3 and 6) were like-----cool mom----they gave you a kids meal too!lol
abreezies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:34 AM   #20  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

When I go to fast food places I will order a kids meal with apple dippers Other places I order whatever I deem healthy enough & request a box to be brought with my food so I can immediatly make my portion & put the rest out of sight. My DH is also hooked up for lunch the next day
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:24 AM   #21  

I usually order off the senior's menu when eating out. I have never been questioned as to my age. Mind you, maybe it is my grey hair!
Hey Jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:10 AM   #22  
Loser :-)

S/C/G: 273/251/175

Height: 5ft8

Quote:
Originally Posted by time2lose View Post
It is not a money thing for me but a portion thing. I would gladly pay an adult price just to get the right portion size for me. Sat. I portion controlled by setting half aside but there are times that I find that hard to do.
I'm not arguing...just wanted to clarify, I will gladly pay the full price too...it is the restaurant that doesn't want to have a full sized adult taking up space in the dining room while they only get $3.99 for that "seat". The policy of not letting adults order off the kids menu, is about money for them.
Michelle98272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:25 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

when we go out to Mcdonalds, burger king places like that i always get a happy meal w/ the apples for the side instead of fries .. I've never thought of ordering off the kids menu when going out to big restaurants though .. I shall try that next time .. and since i have kids who always split one meal if they wont let me order from the kids menu for myself I'll tell them I'm not ordering then and just get two kids meals and have them thinking they are for my two kids lol
haleysmommy5402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:23 PM   #24  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle98272 View Post
I'm not arguing...just wanted to clarify, I will gladly pay the full price too...it is the restaurant that doesn't want to have a full sized adult taking up space in the dining room while they only get $3.99 for that "seat". The policy of not letting adults order off the kids menu, is about money for them.
That's why if you tell them you're willing to pay an adult price, they'll usually accomodate you.

I've ordered off the kid's menu and the senior menu (though I'm not age-eligible for either) - and when I tell the waitress that I'll be happy to pay any extra amount they consider fair - not only do they accomodate me, they generally don't charge more than $2 for the courtesy.

Last edited by kaplods; 05-11-2010 at 02:24 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:21 PM   #25  
To Maintenance-AND BEYOND

S/C/G: 252/ticker/189

Height: 5'2"

I find it hard to find kids' meals at some restaurants that are healthy enough to justify ordering off of it, because they tend to be very carby.

When I do find something on the kids' menu that seems healthy, or if I really need to indulge in some mac 'n cheese, then I attempt the order. If they say I can't, then I offer to pay equal to something comparable on the adult menu. I've only been turned down once.
Eumie is offline   Reply With Quote