Old 04-13-2010, 10:50 PM   #16  
Not Giving Up!

S/C/G: 351/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

For me, it depends on the particular batch of strawberries. Sometimes they are sweet enough on their own, but sometimes they can be either almost tasteless or bitter, so I add some truvia or splenda to those to help bring out the sweetness and flavor.

Instead of throwing them out, maybe you could have just told her you changed your mind or offered them to someone else?
LitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:56 PM   #17  
natalie

S/C/G: 260/171.2/145

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bythenumbers View Post
You can put splenda on them instead of sugar and you still get the sauce
LOVE THE SAUCE!!!!!

I never have liked sweet potatoes, I have tried to make myself like them, but no. The only reason I used to put them on my plate was to eat the marshmellows!
Nice tip!

And congrats OP on throwing the strawberries out. You have some great self control.
oodlesofnoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:11 PM   #18  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

One of the few desserts I do like, is strawberry shortcake, as long as the "cake" part isn't too sweet. I like the biscuit style shortcake.

Unfortunately the lightly sweetened strawberries aren't a problem, it's the shortcake. I try to avoid wheat as much as I can (we've noticed a skin reaction when I eat wheat, my face breaks out in a scaly dermatitis rash).

I'm sure there's a gluten-free shortcake recipe out there, but I don't bake. Easiest way to avoid baked goods is not to buy or bake them, so if I did have something it usually was in a restaurant.

We went out to eat tonight, and I ordered an appetizer as my meal - asian style chicken wings with a sauce instead of a batter. I ate about 3/4 of it and hubby finished them. He had ordered a cup of soup and a half sandwich. It's a lunch special but you can order it all day). The desserts all looked great, but every single one had wheat in it, so it was a no-brainer.

For a restaurant meal, we did awesome.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:15 PM   #19  
Jennifer

S/C/G: 248/231.4/150

Height: 5"1'

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post

Unfortunately the lightly sweetened strawberries aren't a problem, it's the shortcake. I try to avoid wheat as much as I can (we've noticed a skin reaction when I eat wheat, my face breaks out in a scaly dermatitis rash).
I have no idea about how much gluten is in this, but I like to buy the sugar free or "lite" version of angle food cake for the cake part, that is my favorite
bythenumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 12:07 AM   #20  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I don't know if I'm allergic or sensitive to wheat or the gluten in wheat so I avoid wheat and all gluten grains.

Angel food cake is made with regular (wheat) flour, so yeah it's out too. As are barley and rye. I may try barley at some point (if it's only wheat I'm sensitive to, barley and rye would be ok -but generally not in breads because they're usually combined with wheat).

For a while I cut out all grains completely (and felt great), but I'm experimenting with a few non-gluten grains.

Rice and quinoa seem ok.

When I eat grains, I usually eat them entirely in whole form. I have tried a few of the wheat-free and gluten-free breads and they've all been terrible. And so crazy expensive that I'm not very motivated to experiment. It's easier just to do without. There's a gluten-free product expo every year in town, I recently learned of. I think it's in July or August, so I'll be on the look out for that.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 12:21 AM   #21  
Every pound is a victory

S/C/G: 263/147/?

Height: 5' 6"

Mmmm, plain strawberries for me too
rainydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:47 AM   #22  
Kae
. * . * . * . * . * . * .

I've only ever done the sugar on them for the sauce for short cake... as for the sweet potatoes, the only time we add marshmallows is on the yams at Thanksgiving. Otherwise I like my sweet potatoes with butter and salt and pepper... mmm...
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:01 AM   #23  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

I don't put sugar on strawberries. All that I know is after reading this thread is I really want strawberries now!
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:11 AM   #24  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

I agree with applauding you for not changing what you felt was best for you just because she had given them to you. That is tough task to do.

As far as the strawberries go I eat them plain as well - never really thought much about putting sugar on them. lol Now it's got me thinking though!
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:13 AM   #25  
To Maintenance-AND BEYOND

S/C/G: 252/ticker/189

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimsilhouette2b View Post

You may not like it but it's not fair to poo-poo on other peoples tastes.
LOL--That's really how you interpreted my intent? Interesting.

Obviously I'm in the minority on this topic! I knew salt drew out flavors, but I was not aware that sugar was used in the same way. I just thought it was to make it sweeter. Now I know! I won't change my ways, though. I'm stubborn like that.
Eumie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:13 AM   #26  
To Maintenance-AND BEYOND

S/C/G: 252/ticker/189

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_H View Post
I don't put sugar on strawberries. All that I know is after reading this thread is I really want strawberries now!
I'm currently having my greek yogurt and strawberries because I was perusing the thread.
Eumie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:17 AM   #27  
Maintaining ~6 years!

S/C/G: 263/Maintaining/150

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimsilhouette2b View Post
I'm sorry you wasted strawberries, she should have asked and not done something like that before asking!!
That was my exact thought! I'm another one who didn't know that adding sugar helps to create a sauce for the strawberries, which is pretty interesting, but I think I'll keep taking 'em plain. However, I do think it was a teensy bit presumptuous of her to add sugar to them without asking you. She was only doing it to enhance the flavor, and certainly thought nothing of it, but stuff like that is very tricky for me. When it comes to my food, I know I'm a total control freak, and it really bugs me when someone makes a food choice "for" me. I know they're usually just doing it to be kind, but it can put you into some awkward social situations. I'm thinking of moments like when my best friend/roommate bakes a pie or something and proceeds to cut me a slice and bring it to me without asking. I'm deeply touched by the thoughtfulness of "surprising" me with this gesture--of course!--but part of me still gets a little panicky. I think Oh crap, now I *have* to eat this, because if I turn it down I'll look all weird and weight-obsessed, but sometimes I just don't want to eat the stupid piece of pie, you know? LOL. If I want a treat, I'll try to plan for it and make sure that it's something I really want, so guerrilla pie/cookies/chocolate/etc throws me for a loop. I think you did the right thing by eating a little to be gracious and tossing them once she had left. Maybe this is proof that you're getting more sensitive to the the taste of sugar--just wait until sweetened apple sauce makes you gag (if not already), haha!

Last edited by Star2Be; 04-14-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Star2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 04:00 PM   #28  
Angelina/Gerard is Love

S/C/G: 291.8/286.8/199

Height: 5'4 1/2

My mama used to do that when we were younger. She would slice up the strawberries, sprinkle some sugar, and leave it in the fridge overnight. I think I might make some but try it with Stevia or Truvia.
JasonsLea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:37 PM   #29  
getting less fluffy

S/C/G: 255/ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Bell View Post
Oh yea...and then smother it with heavy whipping cream, (whipped with more sugar and vanilla!) OMG!
oh yes, how did I forget the coolwhip...
Terre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:47 PM   #30  
is recommitted

S/C/G: 338/see sig/150

For me, it really just depends on the strawberries. Sometimes they are very bitter, so a little sugar will go a long way. Most of the time if they are ripe enough or just good strawberries period, then no sugar is necessary! Unless, like other posters have said, and I am putting them on some sort of cake. Which I venture to say in moderation is fine, but I tend to have an issue with that. Sweets are definitely my downfall.

BUT, on the other hand, if you allow it in your calories, whipped cream is not too bad, especially if you make it yourself because you can control exactly how much sugar is going in, and if you use artificial sweeteners you can use that instead.

As for sweet potatoes ... I've never been a huge fan of their flavor and only started eating them once I started my life change. So I do need to add spices to it. Most of the time I make them roasted with olive oil, garlic powder and chili powder. It is delicious! I don't usually go the super sweet route unless it is the holidays and I'll make a casserole with eggs, evaporated milk, sugar, cinnamon and pecans.
rakel is offline   Reply With Quote