Old 02-17-2010, 09:13 PM   #16  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

I would agree about lowering your calories. Be faithful for a full week and see what happens!
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:24 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

I always feel like I never know how many calories to eat either. I see someone like cfmama who has done AMAZING with about 1200 calories. But then I see recommendations all the time for people to increase their calories, often if they are trying to break a plateau.

I've tried probably 10 or 12 different online calculators and most of them don't agree.

So I'm giving up - so to speak! I just ordered a Gowear Fit that will tell me my calorie burn every day and then I can know how many calories to eat to have the deficit that I want. I *think* I'm about a 1000 calorie deficit most days with an average of about 1450 calories a day (not deliberately zigzag, but I range from 1200-up to 1600 a day). It will be interesting to see if I'm even close!! But one thing that I really like is that it will be able to let me see when and how much to cut back as I continue to lose weight and I don't burn as many calories for the same activities.
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:42 PM   #18  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutsMom704 View Post
I always feel like I never know how many calories to eat either. I see someone like cfmama who has done AMAZING with about 1200 calories. But then I see recommendations all the time for people to increase their calories, often if they are trying to break a plateau.

I've tried probably 10 or 12 different online calculators and most of them don't agree.

So I'm giving up - so to speak! I just ordered a Gowear Fit that will tell me my calorie burn every day and then I can know how many calories to eat to have the deficit that I want. I *think* I'm about a 1000 calorie deficit most days with an average of about 1450 calories a day (not deliberately zigzag, but I range from 1200-up to 1600 a day). It will be interesting to see if I'm even close!! But one thing that I really like is that it will be able to let me see when and how much to cut back as I continue to lose weight and I don't burn as many calories for the same activities.
I find those gadgets to be unnecessary and inaccurate. You really can find your *right* number through trial and error. You track your calories and you watch the scale. When your weight loss starts to slow down, you decrease your calories and/or increase your exercise.

I never sweated the numbers much. I just adhered to a calorie allotment - faithfully - weighed everyday and adjusted accordingly.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:45 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
I find those gadgets to be unnecessary and inaccurate. You really can find your *right* number through trial and error. You track your calories and you watch the scale. When your weight loss starts to slow down, you decrease your calories and/or increase your exercise.

I never sweated the numbers much. I just adhered to a calorie allotment - faithfully - weighed everyday and adjusted accordingly.
Necessary, I'm sure not. Accurate - seems like a LOT of people who use these find them very helpful and have been having very good results.

I think that there are lots of different tools, different diet plans, etc. out there and what works for one person isn't always going to work or be necessary for someone else. I plan to use every tool I can that works for me. Since I'm kind of a gadget geek, this will make my journey a little easier and even a little more fun, and that's the biggest aspect- if it helps me stay on plan, it's absolutely worth it.
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:42 AM   #20  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutsMom704 View Post
Since I'm kind of a gadget geek, this will make my journey a little easier and even a little more fun, and that's the biggest aspect- if it helps me stay on plan, it's absolutely worth it.
Anything to make this journey easier and more enjoyable is most definitely worthwhile. Enjoy!
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote