Old 12-29-2009, 06:05 AM   #16  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

so I've decided it would be near impossible for me to be vegan cuz of all the "Little things" like "Natural flavors" etc, and have decided to stick with being veg, but to cut out eggs and dairy, but searching out animal by products seems a bit much for me. I will try and keep as close to it as I can but I'm not going to go nuts. at least not yet Maybe I can cut out a little at a time until this time next year I am able to do it. it seems so daunting to do cold turkey.
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:52 AM   #17  
mj5

S/C/G: 299/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4''

Good Morning everyone! It is SO cold this morning, the snow really looks pretty, though.

rakel--Congrats on the loss!

connerash--Welcome!

Beverlyjoy--Hooray for a good day! How's your foot? My knee is ok, it's been a little sore, but w/ the holiday-hecticness, I'm not surprised.

lottie--Good for you for finding something that works for you. How are you????

I did go to the gym yesterday! It felt SO good!!!! I plan to go today, unless the roads are terrible....not going to risk driving home in horrible conditions!

Still drinking lots of water today.

Have a great OP day everyone!
mj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:11 AM   #18  
Restart Date: 10/25/2009

S/C/G: 215/160/115 HW: 235

Hello ladies. Yesterday I was in my calorie and carb range. Today, so far so good. I had an egg and a piece of turkey sausage for breakfast. I need to work on adding in more exercise though. Have a great day!
lovemyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:37 AM   #19  
Reluctant Adult

Hello, all,

Sounds like everyone is getting well back on track after the holiday -- fantastic!!

Welcome to Bazz, Passionista, lottie, connerash -- you've come to a great spot for inspiration and support!!

mj5, well done to you for getting back to the gym!! That can be so hard to do!!

Beverlyjoy, sounds to me like you're doing great now you're back in the saddle. The major difference I notice between chicks who succeed at this and chicks who fail are that the successful ones always pick themselves up, dust themselves off and keep going. You're doing just that, so you're succeeding!!

rakel, congrats on the moving that scale down. Remember -- YOU did that!!

lovemyboy, what sort of exercise are you hoping to add in to your plan?

I'm still here and skating along... lots going on in my life just at the moment, mostly good stuff but stressful. Food has been on plan but I must still improve in the exercise department.

Mostly I'm dreading the prospect of a new relationship. Not the actual relationship -- that part is wonderful and exciting and a very welcome change! But... my way of dealing with food while in a relationship makes me nervous. I'm trying to evolve some coping strategies, but I still want to make lasagna with homemade pasta, homemade pizzas, platters of linguine with spicy shrimp sauteed in butter, steaks with brandy shallot butter sauce and potatoes roasted in olive oil... obviously I need to come up with some new dishes to impress my sweetie!!! I know I can do this, but it's hard. I automatically start planning the sumptuous meals -- the very meals that made me so humongous. "Here, darling, please enjoy this perfectly-prepared dish of steamed carrots!!" just doesn't seem to have the same allure.

But I know it will be much better for both of us if I can prepare healthful, nutritional meals that limit fat, sugar and salt, and I also know I can make them tasty and wonderful. It's just another step in the right direction, but I haven't worked out my new "go to" recipes yet. I've always been well known for my cooking skills. Now I want to be known for my healthful cooking skills!!

The new beau lives 12 hours away by car, so we won't be able to see each other that often. We both have much to work out if we end up being together, so I have lots of time to figure out my new cooking strategies.... lucky me, eh?
raebeaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:51 AM   #20  
is recommitted

S/C/G: 338/see sig/150

Height: 5'6"

raebear: Long distance relationships can be a bit of a bummer. When my husband and I met, he lived 22 hours away by car, which is practically as far as 12 hours, because it's not like that's a trip you can make very often either. We kept that up for about a year and a half and I ended up making the move. All I can say about that, is that it's not fun but I would do it all over again to be with him.

I enjoy cooking quite a lot too, and am known for being a good cook among all of my friends and family. I'm sure you can find ways to make healthy recipes, or even some of your old favorites healthier. For example, I just made a super delicious veggie lasagna that is just about the best that I've ever had. I use no more than half a package of lasagna noodles, which only puts me about about 3 or 4 thick layers. You can do just about any variety of veggies as you'd like, but sauteed mushrooms, garlic and spinach in olive oil is my favorite. For the filling, I mix 1 8oz container of part skim ricotta, 4oz Neufchatel Cream Cheese, 1/2 cup Romano/Parmesan cheese, and a smattering of oregano, basil and parsley, and then mix in the veggies. I layer the dish with cheese, small amount of sauce, noodle, and top it with the rest of the jar, some part skim mozzeralla (very light, only 1/4 cup) and sometimes top with chopped tomato.

Last edited by rakel; 12-29-2009 at 11:51 AM.
rakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:56 AM   #21  
account abandoned

Gosh. I'm really worried now :/
I went for a blood test last week because the doctor wanted to check my thyroid functions. So yeah, it's come back and the doctor wants to see me tomorrow. The way my step-father's reacting got me all worried, he reckons it's because I keep drinking Pepsi (and burgers, apparently), I'm going to get cancer or something?? Then my mother said something about overactive thyroid and it may be a reason why I'm fat ¬.¬

What do you guys think? Do you know any problems assoicated with the thyroid? By the way, I suffer from depression and it's gotten worse, that's why the doctor sent me away for a blood test.
Bazz Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:16 PM   #22  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

Today!
B- oatmeal low cal bagel, 2 LC wedges, mandarin orange
L- can tuna, mustard, 2 rice cakes, mandarin orange and a weight loss chew
s- banana, 1 T peanut butter, weight loss chew
D- 1.5 pieces salmon, 1 cup stir fry veggies, 1/2 cup whole wheat noodles
s- weight loss chew and applesauce cup

okay... these weight loss chews are from Arbonne and part of their figure 8 line. My girlfriend sells them and wants me to try them out. So far I love them! The ones I have are chocolate and 30 calories a piece and taste like salt water taffy. Yum! And they DO HELP with cravings and suppressing hunger... hm. I might have to keep buying them.
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:03 PM   #23  
Reluctant Adult

Hi, rakel,

Your menu suggestions sound wonderful -- I will be sure to try them! I know I can lighten up many of my standards, but it's hard to adjust my thinking of, "If a little is good, a lot is better!" I simply must, however. And I appreciate your thoughtful help!

Re the long distance stuff... actually, I can endure that. My late husband was from Australia. It was the ultimate long distance relationship for a couple of years! We worked very hard to be together, and he was worth every bit of the hassle, expense and frustration. I wish we could have had a full lifetime together, but it was not to be.

The fellow with whom I am gradually becoming involved now is an old flame... well, more of a glowing ember, really. I've known him for 20 years and we have always shared a strong attraction (not acted upon) as well as a truly special friendship. He lost his wife earlier this year, so drawing close has just felt very natural to us both. I can tell you it's a great incentive to keep taking off the tonnage... not a reason, but an incentive!!

Bazz, try not to worry too much about the thyroid situation. I've been on thyroid meds since I was 27, which was, uhh, a long time ago. It's very important that your thyroid hormones be in balance, but fortunately, it's an easy one to treat! It's more likely that you may be suffering from an underactive thyroid than an overactive one, based on your feelings of depression and weight gain. If indeed you have an underactive thyroid, the doc will simply give you medication which you must take faithfully every day. That's it; easy peasy. And you'll be amazed at how much better you begin to feel!! Hope this is reassuring to you -- it's meant to be.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:40 PM   #24  
is recommitted

My gyno said that I have an enlarged thyroid and that I should get a blood test. I was really going to do it, but my husband said that I shouldn't. He said, all they are going to do is put you on medication that you'll have to take for the rest of your life, and that it's possible losing weight could help my thyroid. Maybe it is a chicken before the egg type of deal? He was also concerned about how much it would cost, because we don't have any health insurance and money is a little tight. He was thinking that it would be like $233 but I thought it would be a lot less than that. Does anyone know? I just wonder sometimes if my thyroid contributes to all of this.

I've consistently gained weight EVERY year of my adolescence, going from 132 in 7th grade to graduating high school at 245. I do feel tired a lot, but I tend to think that maybe it's just because I am carrying a lot of weight around and it's easier to just do nothing. I don't really know what it's like to feel "good." Have I ever felt good? It seems like I just feel bad and worse. I'd probably follow up with a doctor, nutritionist, etc, but like I said, I don't have insurance or a lot of money. If I had a lot of money, then I would have insurance. I'm just trying to do what I can for now. I also have a healthy distrust of authority, including government and doctors :P. I'm the type of gal who's interested in having a water-birth at home once I arrive to the point of having babies.

At any point, I realize that even if I do have a thyroid problem, that's not the only reason why I have gained weight. Obviously it's calories in VS calories out. I do realize that I must have a slower metabolism than most people though, because it seems like even when I eat exactly what I should be eating to maintain, I gain weight.

Last edited by rakel; 12-29-2009 at 01:41 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:48 PM   #25  
is recommitted

raebear: I agree, finding the person you love is worth the hassle. I don't think I could have endured it much longer than a year, though I suppose if I had to I would have. It was easier for me because I was pretty young still, and I didn't have my whole life established yet. I left my mom & step-dad's home and a job at Culvers (fast food restaurant). I packed all of my belongings in my '96 VW Jetta, and drove off into the sunset . I was... hmmm... 19. My mom must have been terrified but she's been very supportive of me. Really, it was possibly the farthest thing that I could have ever imagined that I would do. Not that I was foolhardy about it (I always take my precautions and made sure I was making the right decision), but I was young. Still, all my life I've been said to be "wise beyond my years." And in most ways, I believe that to be true.

At any rate, enjoy the relationship. I know it must be hard for you, and conjure up some emotions considering what happened with your husband, but you seem like a very strong person.

Last edited by rakel; 12-29-2009 at 01:48 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:04 PM   #26  
Reluctant Adult

rakel, by all means, get that thyroid test done. The lab work may be costly, but the medication isn't! It's one of the cheapest, most widely available hormone replacements on the market -- like $3.00 for a 30-day prescription, or something. And I'm afraid I've never heard a doc tell me that losing weight will improve the function of the gland... in fact, you'll struggle far harder to lose weight if the gland is underactive. Plus it can affect so many things in your body: Your ability to concentrate, listlessness, depression, dry hair, nails. In extreme cases, it can cause organ shut-down. Truly -- you want to look into this!

Re your true love... I remember reading your story in another thread and smiling about it. I am so glad you found exactly the right person!! He has always sounded like a true gem each time you have described him... I am tickled for you.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:31 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 247/247/160

Height: 5'5"

I'd just like to say.. anyone trying to go vegan.. GOOD LUCK! You'll do great!!! I won't lie. its hard at first, but you can do it! and you'll feel so much better afterward!!

For those vegetarians who are *almost* vegan.. making the switch the vegan is so rewarding! You'll feel amazing once you switch! sometimes it sucks not being able to have cheese.. since that was my biggest thing, but you get used to it, and you can get alternatives depending on where you live.. or you can order stuff online.. which is awesome!

I was a vegetarian for 9 years, and then about 2 or 3 months ago I made the switch the vegan. i couldnt be happier.
not only do i have more energy, my allergies have cleared up, and i just all around feel amazing.
anyway, this is long enough. good luck to anyone trying to become vegan!
hollywoodkatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:47 PM   #28  

Height: 5'7"

Im struggling today...going to go and drink a huge jug of water.I am a routine person and I run an inhome daycare.I have the week off and its not good as far as eating goes. Why I have no idea!!!! Looks like I would enjoy the freedom but I tend to find myself looking for something to do and mindlessly eat. Im making a huge salad for dinner tonight.
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:56 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Rakel and Bazz - if you have a thyroid problem of any kind - get it checked out by your physician. I was told I had low thyroid some 25 years ago and didn't think much of it or didn't do what the doctor suggested. I got very sick eventually - all things that were related to having a low thyroid. I've taken Synthroid for some twenty years - it isn't expensive and made a huge difference in my health.

Read this information:

http://www.safemenopausesolutions.com/thyroid.html

Both hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism is discussed on this page.

The info happens to be on a menopause website...But, I became hypothyroid in my 30's.

Hypothyroid - is not enough hormone produced by the thyroid gland.

Hyperthyroid - too much hormone produced by the thyroid.

Get it checked out. I wish I had done what the doctor suggested back then.

If you were diabetic you would have that checked by your doctor. Thyroid is another important function of your body.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:48 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 291/159.8/150

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakel View Post
I left my mom & step-dad's home and a job at Culvers (fast food restaurant). I packed all of my belongings in my '96 VW Jetta, and drove off into the sunset . I was... hmmm... 19. My mom must have been terrified but she's been very supportive of me.
WOW...that brings back memories of one of the hardest moments I have had to deal with in my whole life! I was very thankful how John's parents took you into their home...that kept me sane . Love ya bunches and bunches 's, MOM
fjcinzion is offline   Reply With Quote