Old 12-23-2009, 01:43 PM   #31  
Back on Track 2 Healthy

S/C/G: 270/254.4/Healthy

Height: 5 feet Tall

What great ideas!

I like cottage cheese on my baked tater...I'll have to try some of the ideas here.

My dh likes to order a plain tater when we go to Wendy's and then he puts their chilli on it.

Has anyone seen those potato bags for sale at craft fairs? I just wrap my potato in a kitchen towel when I microwave it. It seems 2 work great.

Thank you everyone for the ideas!!
cathydoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 05:43 PM   #32  
Becoming myself

S/C/G: 294/233/180

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubergirl View Post
Hmm. Might be worth a try. I do like plain yogurt. But the only kind of salad dressing I actually like is homemade olive oil vinaigrette. It's healthy, but I'm not happy with one TBS and if I put more than a TBS then I feel like it's too many calories out of my day.

But I might like plain yogurt as dressing if I put the right herbs in it. Thanks for the suggestion.
Do you just pour your dressing on your salad, in the bowl, or do you add it to the salad bowl and toss it, THEN put it in a salad bowl for yourself? When you toss your salads with the dressings, it distributes really nicely and you can use far, far less--but you get the same yummy taste. Just an idea!

As for baked potatoes, try topping it with FF or RF Ranch dressing. I saw a friend do this years ago and it's yumminess. Mmmmmm. You don't need a lot, either--drizzle some dressing on, use your fork to mash it up, and eat. Yum!
sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 04:12 PM   #33  
is recommitted

S/C/G: 338/see sig/150

Height: 5'6"

Ok, so I just ate some greek yogurt with cherry, and I have to say it is pretty good. However, before I mixed in the cherry, I tasted it plain, and I have to say it comes pretty darn close to sour cream. In fact, I'm pretty sure I can substitute it without feeling the least bit different about it. The true test is to see if I could put it past my picky husband.
rakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:01 PM   #34  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I just nuke my potatoes, instead of oven baking them. Fast and tasty!

My favorite way to have potatoes? With a good dousing of Malt Vinegar! It is super tasty and adds almost no additional calories
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:21 PM   #35  
Just for today

S/C/G: 328.8/301.6/150

Height: 5'5"

I love potatoes in the worst way. In fact, there's 3 bags of frozen mashed potatoes from Christmas that are just calling my name. But alas, I must refrain because I'm still trying to work on self-control. Maybe in few weeks. I normally HATE salad but the baked potatoe/salad combo sounds delicious!

Lovin' the tips, BTW!
StarryEyes86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:27 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

The most nutritious part of the potato is the skin. And I love the skin. So I bake/roast the potatoes rubbed with olive oil, salt & pepper. Skin gets crispy. Then I halve the potatoes and scoop out most of the filling. I mash that with butter for my little girl who loves potatoes and is skinny as a rail! Then I eat the skins, either plain or dipped in light sour cream with bacon bits, or I rebake the skins with a sprinkle of light cheese. Or, take the skin "shells" and fill them with veggie chili OR broccoli w/light cheese OR baked beans. Yummy stuff. Also, sweet potatoes are better for you I believe, so I make those more often (baked fries, usually).

Salad = baby spinach, other greens & veggies, a fruit (mandarin oranges, chopped apples, sliced pears, strawberries, pomegranates, or blueberries), a Nut (walnuts, pine nuts, almonds, or sunflower seeds), a fatty flavor enhancer (crumbled bacon, shredded light cheese, gorgonzola, blue cheese, or avocado), sometimes a protein (grilled chicken breast, tuna, leftover salmon, sliced cold beef roast or pork tenderloin or a hard boiled egg), and a dressing which is a vinaigrette or a homemade apple cider dressing. Great stuff!
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:01 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Great ideas here. Yes, I eat potatoes sometimes. A calorie is a calorie for me. FF sour cream, cottage cheese, or light margerine.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:19 AM   #38  

S/C/G: 253/Maintenance/140

Height: 5'8

I like white/red potatoes and make them sometimes (3 times this past fall/winter season that I recall). Sweet potatoes are considered healthier, so there's that. Though I too still love a (somewhat frivolous) white one.

As a calorie counter, like Beverlyjoy was just saying, I am comfortable with potato, and gnocchi, lately -- but I am judicious in my use of 'white carb' calories, for overall health reasons. I usually spread out their incorporation. Not in the same day/days.

Over christmas we were staying with relatives and I feel I had my feel of those kinds of grains. A Hawaiian roll, etc. All fit neatly into my calorie count but in lieu of that I'm making a particular concentration on whole grains this week. Feels good to be back to my oatmeal, my brown rice, all that.
WhitePicketFences is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:39 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn2007 View Post
The most nutritious part of the potato is the skin. And I love the skin. So I bake/roast the potatoes rubbed with olive oil, salt & pepper. Skin gets crispy. Then I halve the potatoes and scoop out most of the filling. I mash that with butter for my little girl who loves potatoes and is skinny as a rail! Then I eat the skins, either plain or dipped in light sour cream with bacon bits, or I rebake the skins with a sprinkle of light cheese.
Nice idea!
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:51 PM   #40  
Just for today

S/C/G: 328.8/301.6/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn2007 View Post
The most nutritious part of the potato is the skin. And I love the skin. So I bake/roast the potatoes rubbed with olive oil, salt & pepper. Skin gets crispy. Then I halve the potatoes and scoop out most of the filling. I mash that with butter for my little girl who loves potatoes and is skinny as a rail! Then I eat the skins, either plain or dipped in light sour cream with bacon bits, or I rebake the skins with a sprinkle of light cheese. Or, take the skin "shells" and fill them with veggie chili OR broccoli w/light cheese OR baked beans. Yummy stuff. Also, sweet potatoes are better for you I believe, so I make those more often (baked fries, usually).

Salad = baby spinach, other greens & veggies, a fruit (mandarin oranges, chopped apples, sliced pears, strawberries, pomegranates, or blueberries), a Nut (walnuts, pine nuts, almonds, or sunflower seeds), a fatty flavor enhancer (crumbled bacon, shredded light cheese, gorgonzola, blue cheese, or avocado), sometimes a protein (grilled chicken breast, tuna, leftover salmon, sliced cold beef roast or pork tenderloin or a hard boiled egg), and a dressing which is a vinaigrette or a homemade apple cider dressing. Great stuff!
Goodness...that sounds delish!
StarryEyes86 is offline   Reply With Quote