Old 11-23-2009, 09:52 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 297/256/not sure

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellarGirl View Post
When I started my plan...I promised that I wouldn't change the way that I eat on holidays or on Vacation. My thought is...what's the worst thing that can happen if you splurge on one day? I feel like I would just be deprived and sad if I didn't have what I wanted on holidays.

And just because I splurged on that day...doesn't mean that the next day I need to eat leftovers or say the whole week is ruined.
I plan on savoring every bite, eating slowly, eating what I want, but stopping when I'm full.

It's definitely a personal choice...if you're an all or nothing kind of person...it might be better for you to make sure you make yourself a different meal or create some new traditions for your family to eat on Thanksgiving.

Bottom line though...even though this answer might be unpopular on here, I say go for it. Don't build resentment toward your new lifestyle...have some wiggle room.
I tend to agree with you. I'm not going to forbid myself anything. I'm going to choose the dishes I enjoy, pass by the ones I don't care about, and just eat enough so that I don't feel so stuffed that all I want to do is run home to change into my sweat pants.

I think it might be wise to say "no, thanks" to bringing any huge slabs of pie home with us though.
Truffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 01:38 PM   #32  
Proud Y Chromosome Member

S/C/G: 285/231/under 150 (normal BMI)

Height: 5'5"

This will be my first diabetic holiday season. I pretty much know that most of my high carb indulgences from the past are off the menu, but I have armed myself with new diabetic alternatives. Thanksgiving dinner will be with my immediate family (parents and sister) so nothing too stressful. Our family tradition is to hit the movie theater before dinner. This year my sister gets to choose. The Denver Broncos are scheduled to play on Thursday evening so we will definitely be cheering them on to break their current loosing streak.
diabetic z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:39 PM   #33  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

My plan is for controlled indulgence and extra exercise. I am making as many recipes as I can as healthy as I can, such as making sugar free candied yams. There are certain things we just can't change though, like my hubby's grandfather's stuffing - sure we could make healthier stuffing, but there is no way to make it healthier and still have it be anything like THAT stuffing, and I am not going to refuse to eat my favorites on Thanksgiving. For one thing, it is one day in an entire year and a little bit of stuffing (or whatever) is not going to kill me. For another thing, if I try to avoid those dishes it is going to make my hubby feel guilty that they are there to tempt me and then he will not enjoy Thanksgiving and I REFUSE to let my diet ruin his holiday. I will refuse to eat any of the leftovers of those dishes though. The only day I am allowing myself to indulge is Thanksgiving itself and the only leftovers I will be helping with are the ones that are healthy. I am going to work out on Thanksgiving and am planning to get in as many extra minutes during the following week as possible.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 01:28 AM   #34  
Finding my wings...

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/156

Height: 5'2 and a freakin' HALF!

I'm with FitGirly.... there's just like no way to get away with making ANY changes to my grandma's traditional Thanksgiving fare.... it just WOULDN'T be Thanksgiving if we did! And I know I won't be able to say no to seconds... but I might be unable to help myself to thirds and fourths like I used to... my stomach has shrunk QUITE a bit this past year!

Also, this year I'm doing ALL the cooking with my grandma, and thus I am writing down EVERY SINGLE INGREDIENT and actually am going to measure it all and create a portion size of each item and a calorie count! So, when we pack and freeze some of it for the coming month... I can fit it properly into my diet!

To be honest though, I'm kinda dreading this holiday. I've definitely hit a plateau lately... probably because I just haven't had the time to start kicking up my workouts to more than once a week like I really need to to continue weight loss... so the 2lbs that I've lost over the past few weeks will more than definitely be put back on and I know that that's going to be heart wrenching for me. I haven't even changed my ticker because of that... no point in changing it then changing it back!

However.. I know that this is just a bump in my road and its just one day... I still have a month and a half to meet my goal and even if I don't.... well, I've come a long way anyways! And a long way to go at that... And, after all, it's a holiday. I'm not really worried about backsliding because of it like some people do... so... yeah. Gonna try and enjoy without stressing and feeling too guilty ()... though I know deep down inside I will be.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone... let's do this the best we can!
starfishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote