Old 09-12-2009, 09:35 PM   #16  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Good luck with that. I hope it works out for you.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 04:03 AM   #17  
Finding my wings...

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/156

Height: 5'2 and a freakin' HALF!

Not only that.... I think that everyone is going to be different. Some people have learned how to eat the right way and can manage without writing it down forever... and maybe there's some of us that can't!

Personally, I have every single bill that I need to pay each month written down in a notebook, along with my incoming and outgoing monies just so that I can keep track of it and make sure nothing screwy happens and messes up the whole system. Are you going to tell me that if I do that for a year and plan on doing it indefinitely that there's something wrong with it? I know myself, I know I can never handle NOT writing it down because if I do, things will get messed up. HOWEVER, I also know and respect the people that are out there that CAN get everything done, all bills paid, etc, without having to write it down. I envy them, in fact, but I don't doubt their abilities.

To each their own. If it works for you, then what's the beef??? (no pun intended, hehe)

Last edited by starfishkitty; 09-13-2009 at 04:04 AM.
starfishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 07:04 AM   #18  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey!

Ryanne, yeah, the way you describe it, it does sound like you're obsessed.

However, there is a difference between being obsessed and paying attention. It could be that you just need to find where that line is.

Since you plan out your food a month in advance, that may be all the planning you need. It might be that all that list-making etc. was unnecessary and compulsive. I agree that you should try giving that up for awhile if it's making you nuts.

Just a caution: It can be really easy to lose track and slip back into the habits that led to becoming obese--especially if one thinks of "fun" as meaning "no restrictions." So, on whatever schedule you choose, do check your weight from time to time just to make sure things are still working.

Good luck!
Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 08:15 AM   #19  
Believe!

S/C/G: 231/201/131

Height: 5'2"

Smile I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
Hey!

Ryanne, yeah, the way you describe it, it does sound like you're obsessed.

However, there is a difference between being obsessed and paying attention. It could be that you just need to find where that line is.

Since you plan out your food a month in advance, that may be all the planning you need. It might be that all that list-making etc. was unnecessary and compulsive. I agree that you should try giving that up for awhile if it's making you nuts.

Just a caution: It can be really easy to lose track and slip back into the habits that led to becoming obese--especially if one thinks of "fun" as meaning "no restrictions." So, on whatever schedule you choose, do check your weight from time to time just to make sure things are still working.

Good luck!
Jay
Yeah, it is literally an obsession and I don't want to be obsessed with it anymore, but I also don't want to "trade obsessions" and just say if I am not obsessed with this what can I be obsessed with. I just need to stop being obsessed about anything.
See, I am following the docs advice about what to eat, and I have made monthly menus: so here's the thing, according to doc, I need to watch sat fats, salt intake and sugar. I have hypothyroidism, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and high triglycerides. I also have ibs-c, and I am on meds for chronic anxiety disorder and depression/ post traumatic stress syndrome.
So, what he suggests as far as diet is: unlimited fruits and vegies, but at least 4 vegies per day and try to up green leafies and at least 3 fruits, Complex Carbs 4-8 and try to up oats, 2-3 lean meats, avoid sat fats and try to have fish at least 2x per week, 3 organic fat free dairies, and 3-5 monounsaturated fats.
So this is what I based my menus off of.
It is supposed to be about health, but as I was seeing the numbers go down, it got about more than just health, I want to see those numbers move. I want to look good, too.
It's just I got caught up in it and I have before, when I lost so much weight, but the reason I could not keep it off is because I got to where I underate or overexercised. I don't want to do that this time...and I'm afraid to be obsessed, but also afraid not to be. I want to be aware, have a plan and stick to it, without thinking about it all day long and it taking up way more thought time than it should.
If that makes sense.
Ryanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 09:23 AM   #20  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

It makes perfect sense! Follow your doc's plan, and be done with it.

If you find yourself obsessing, pick up a book, go for a walk, do a crossword puzzle, start cleaning out the cupboards--whatever!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:37 AM   #21  
Believe!

Smile Thank you, Jay...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
It makes perfect sense! Follow your doc's plan, and be done with it.

If you find yourself obsessing, pick up a book, go for a walk, do a crossword puzzle, start cleaning out the cupboards--whatever!

Jay
That is what I am trying to do...stop giving so much thought time to that, but you make it so easy... you are absolutely right...I found a book I had bought a while back and I asked my daughter if it was hers...she said "no, you bought that one, mama"...I didn't remember buying it, but oh, well, it looks really good and it is just a fictional story...so I have that to do now. And the other suggestions are great, too.
Thanks for understanding.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:16 PM   #22  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

Ryanne, I agree with you. It sounds like your thoughts and behaviors are obsessive. I too would follow your Dr's directions with food and exercise. Those 2 things will guarantee that you will lose weight, maybe not at the pace that you want, but you will lose the weight. Take the very best care of yourself, both physically and emotionally. Your family needs you to be the best you can be. You are on the right track. I too would give this a try and monitor your progress, scalewise. It seems like a more balanced approach. Best of luck to you!
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 04:24 PM   #23  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

ever heard that woody allen joke: Q: is sex dirty? A: only if it's done right. I tend to think dieting/losing weight tends to be obsessive in it's nature, the dieter gets to chose the level of obsession. I agree with the advice to do what works for you and makes you happy. I'm sure what constitutes both those things will change for you over time as your habits and mindset change. And both will change. That's why I don't consider most choices I make to be forever, or for the rest of my life. What I need or require at one point, will most certainly not be the same at another.

Yes, I have made the choice to eat healthily and exercise, and don't see myself ever going back to the bad habits I once had. I keep a general journal, of my weekly weight, with little notes. I don't write down everything I do or eat. I haven't gained back any weight I've lost since 2002 (a big achievement for me), I do lose weight slowly (some people would go nuts with how slow it can be for me).

I've been down that obsessive compulsive eating road, binging, the whole bit, I'd rather do it the way I'm doing it (even with the doubts I have sometimes), than go back to how I once was. Only you know what you're truly going through mentally with your diet and exercise routine, and what you need and what works. And like I said, that's going to change over time too.

we're lucky to have a variety of people here at 3FC with different perspectives and experiences. I learn something new every time I come and read here.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 04:59 PM   #24  
Believe!

Smile We truly are blessed.

I have learned so much since I started here. There are so many people with so many things going on that it makes it so easy to read someone else's story and be encouraged. I have so many areas of interest here at this site and it is amazing how well everyone lifts each other up.
I am glad for so many different perspectives. I sure do appreciate all the support and ideas from the members here. I have been going through a tough time, changing meds, and then realizing the obsession with diet/food/eat/don't eat/exercise....argghhh, but everyone has helped to encourage me and give me their point of view. Where else are you going to get so many people who really care about you and can actually "understand" what you are going through.
I am glad I found this place and am blessed by my new found support group.
I am grateful to you all.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:21 PM   #25  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

I'm not one who writes down her food, but I do weigh much of what I eat and have a constant running list of what I've eaten in my head and at any point in the day can tell you exactly what I've eaten and how many calories I've taken in.

I think if mindless eating is one of a person's issues, then logging food is a very good habit to get into. Personally, I am very aware of every bite I'm eating with or without logging it. It's logged in my head in detail. So I don't keep a food journal for the same reasons you are stating - I'm already so obsessed with it all, I don't need yet another thing to obsess over!
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 09:05 PM   #26  
Believe!

Smile Right?

Exactly my point. I don't want to be obsessing over anything. I really need to find a hobby...LOL.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:30 PM   #27  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
I really need to find a hobby...LOL.
And for me, that hobby is healthy eating and everything about it! I don't journal my food. Like CC, I keep a running tally in my head. Actually, I don't really have to bother doing that much. I pretty much eat the same or similar and interchangeable value calorie count foods. The counting has been done for me long ago. I plan my meals in advance, again in my head.

But as far as hobbies, well yes, I look at my lifestyle almost as a hobby. Well not the eating itself, but the things that lead up to the eating. I enjoy picking out produce and discovering new food finds. I've love looking up and creating new recipes. LOVE serving those creations to my family and friends. Love entertaining. Love my dining room. It's VERY decorated. LOVE my tablecloths and linen napkins, glass water bottles and pitchers, salt and pepper shakers, napkin rings, serving bowls, platters, baskets and the gijillion different and unusual items I have to enhance my and my family and guests dining experience. I love kitchen gadgets and all my different knives, lemon reamers, garlic presses, tongs, etc. I love shopping for them and using them.

I think for me, really, really enjoying the whole process of this lifestyle has been a key to me sustaining it.

I also think it's important to recognize when a change is necessary and to be open to tweaking things when one finds they are no longer working. And again be open to changing them again and again. As many times as need be. Whatever one has to do to make it work and keep on making it work.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 09:55 PM   #28  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Whatever works for you then that is great. I am happy you don't feel the need to obsess. I hope it all works out for you
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 09:59 PM   #29  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

michelle said it best, as usual. whatever works for you!

the idea of stopping my journal terrifies me, its the only reason i hold myself accountable and i KNOW id go severely off plan/track. we are all different. some people follow plans and never journal, other HAVE to.

best of luck and i hope it works out!!
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:34 AM   #30  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Kitty - I do exactly that with my money, and have done since Jan 2006, when a major financial disaster struck. It's actually in a Word document.
I have a separate page for utilities/dogs/car/health/gifts/holidays(vacations)/saving for a new car.
I've decided on how much of my monthly income I put each month into each page.
I enter bills, regular and occasional on every page. I don't make a note of every bar of soap I buy but I have a fixed amount I count as housekeeping, and if I get to the end of that, that's when my meals get more creative (for which read, 'odd') with oatmeal and beans and stuff.
I'm a great proclaimer of this method (based on Mary Hunt's 'Debtproof Living') but most people who ask about it think it's too time consuming.
Not really - and anyway, in 3 years and 9 months, I have no debts, I have been able to keep the dogs (had been advised to get rid/put them down as too expensive) and had some great holidays.
I'll take the time consuming.

Where am I going with this? Um. I guess that if being detailed and focussed shows good results, it's easier to stick to it. I'm working very hard to put the same effort into my weightloss, having proved I Can do it in other areas.

Basically, if I don't get my finances right, the consequences would be disasterous.
I need to get the same idea into my head about weight loss - if I don't get it right, the consequences would be disasterous too. I suppose it's that I can imagine all too clearly what will happen if I get my money wrong, came very close to that; I don't have a personal 'near-miss' experience of weight-related disaster.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote