Old 07-31-2010, 10:28 PM   #16  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

S/C/G: 272/228/under 200 for now

Height: 5'0"

The problem I have with alcohol is is seems to throw off my weight loss for a couple of weeks. It dehydrates me and I end up retaining fluid. I feel yucky for up to 4 days after I drink. I'm not talking about getting loaded either, I will have up to 3 drinks and usually it's only 2. If I do drink, it is usually my version of an ice pick or a lemon drop.
hpnodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 02:11 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

I started losing weight two months after my 21st birthday. I didn't drink at all for 6 months. I never felt like I was loosing out on anything. Goodness knows I still went out, hung out with my friends and sisters, went to parties and even (finally) learned a couple drinking games. I drank a lot of diet coke and a whole lotta water. Honestly, i feel like its an excuse that I have to drink in order to spend time with my friends.

Every time I drink, I find myself in the same situation: one turns into two (cause I still have calories from yesterday!) which turns into popcorn, chips, Taco Bell or In-n-Out. Its just not worth it. But, if you like a friday night drink, plan on it. Figure out which drinks fit into a calorie budget. Or just be the DD for your friends
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:52 PM   #18  
Loser :-)

S/C/G: 273/251/175

Height: 5ft8

Default Alcohol is like krptonyte to my diet...

I can eat healthy -or- I can drink. I can't do both. I also can't just have one or two drinks...my minimum is 3. Once I start, I'm likely to drink until I am drunk and then all healthy eating goes out the window. Even just having 3 drinks stimulates my appetite and lowers my judgement.
Michelle98272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:40 PM   #19  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

drinking is such a trigger for bad food choices for me. I rarely drink now and think that is definitely one of the things that has helped my weight loss.

Alcohol was definitely the reason I was so large. I was in a self-destructive routine where I'd end up compounding poor drinking decisions with food decisions. I need to stop drinking to break that cycle.
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:54 PM   #20  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I also have to advise limiting drinking. I am quite young (24) and it is honestly completely unnecessary for socializing. In fact, the vast majority of my social occasions are improved by the absence of alcohol, as opposed to the addition of it. The occasional drink is just fine, but you have admitted it is a huge stumbling block for you with weight loss. So the question becomes if you desire to lose weight more than cut loose with your friends. If you can't limit the drinking, acknowledge that it WILL be a hindrance to your weight loss. If you can't control the quantity or binges afterward it is incompatible with weightloss for YOU. Not everyone struggles with that, but that is where individual preferences and body chemistry come into play.

I never feel compelled to have more than MAYBE half a beer, and at MOST a few shots of harder alcohol, on the rare (literally less than once a year) occasion that I am out at a club or indulging in some sake or tequila with my husband. It just isn't a trigger for me, either to binge or to drink more. Others can't enjoy just one beer or one shot, it leads to more or triggers problems with control. Therefore the strategy that I can employ to include alcohol in my life is likely different from someone who reacts to it differently. That's just life!

Good luck, either way. There are no magic answers on this one. You may find that you can reintegrate alcohol down the road of your weight loss with less issues, you may find it is always a problem for your eating. These things are issues you need to personally weigh and decide what is most important to you at this point in your life
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote