Old 07-12-2009, 08:13 PM   #31  
Tanya

S/C/G: 150/130/120

Height: 5'8"

Love the storyline, hate the title.

What a wonderful guy, to think that he put himself out there, in the public eye, with the desire and motivation to lose weight with a goal in mind...and he actually accomplished that goal! I am impressed, amazed, dazzled....all at the same time.

However, the fact that he was a "virgin" at the start of his journey means nothing to me...it pisses me off that TLC uses this as a sensational title to attempt to attract viewers...he should have never been so open. Maybe he regrets it now, but too late.
Jasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:32 PM   #32  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

So, I'm watching the show and at the BEGINNING, it shows that this is about his quest to find a girlfriend, and shows him going to bars and out on dates, and saying that he'll be "horrible at sex at first" and filling out an online dating form.
His weight loss story seems to be "background"...for now...
sigh...
Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:45 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idealmuse View Post
"It kinda bothers me that they felt they had to put virgin in the title"

The title kinda bothers me too. Seems like kinda a crappy way to present the story no matter how motivational it is and what a way to perpetuate stereotypes about overweight people. Doesn't mean i won't watch but yeah... tacky and unfortunate.
That's how I kind of saw it. As someone who is an adult and a virgin, I didn't like seeing it in the title. If it was his wish to put it in there, then so be it, I guess. But I know for me, it's certainly not something I'm very open about at all, and I think if they wanted a way to tell the viewers he was a virgin was ask him about it in the documentary.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:12 PM   #34  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

Okay...I'm watching the second showing of it (10 PM CST) and maybe this is mean (and cyber-slap me if it is), but his sister Jennifer? The one on the right side of the bench talking about his food addiction? Is this a situation of "pot, meet kettle" or what?
Jennelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:45 PM   #35  

I haven't seen the show yet but his story is amazing! I could care less about the virgin part.
SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:57 PM   #36  

I saw it.I like 40 year old virgin better!!Hee Hee!
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:03 AM   #37  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

I just finished watching it and it was pretty disappointing. It barely talked about his weight loss journey at all; it was all about him learning to be comfortable around women. There were parts of it that were absolutely painful to watch. When he was with the "flirting coach" learning how to get a girl's number, I flat-out COULDN'T watch! I changed the channel for a minute or two until that part was over.

Definitely not the best TLC show I've ever seen. They can do better.
Jennelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:48 AM   #38  

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennelle View Post
Okay...I'm watching the second showing of it (10 PM CST) and maybe this is mean (and cyber-slap me if it is), but his sister Jennifer? The one on the right side of the bench talking about his food addiction? Is this a situation of "pot, meet kettle" or what?

LMAO yes, I thought the same thing. She herself has weight issues....

I watched the show, I liked it. I give him props, he inspires me. However, the saggy skin part scares the crap out of me.
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:34 AM   #39  

Height: 5ft6'

Watched it and loved it. They talked about alot of things this guy had to go through because of his obesity. Not just missing out on dating girls. But at his age to miss out entierly on his teen years and now to have a chance, OF COURSE it's like on the top of his priority list. He is a lil socialy akward but very sincere and sweet. If a dating coach helps him out then good for him. He deserves to find love like anyone else he just may need more help then some people.
TraceyElaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:27 AM   #40  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

I liked it, but I was a little discouraged because he had so much surgery after. The saggy skin, I get. The eyes and Teeth I get. But what did they do to his face?
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:41 AM   #41  

S/C/G: 272/ticker/145

Height: 5'9

I watched it too and I agree with Jennelle...the flirting part was mega awkward. But, I think the show was mainly supposed to be geared towards his search for love, not necessarily his weight loss, so I wasn't disappointed that they didn't focus on that. I liked it overall, but I'm a sucker for TLC shows, haha.

His trainer was really cute too...

Oh, and did anyone else watch the show that was on right before it? I think it was called "I Eat 33,000 Calories A Day" or something like that. I think it was a re-run, but I'd never seen it. It was a real eye-opener for me and it made me think back to when I didn't account for what I ate. I really wonder how many calories I was taking in and just didn't realize! Plus, it just amazes me how much money they spent on food in a single day. I thought it was a really interesting show.
foxxy511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:54 AM   #42  

S/C/G: 253/Maintenance/140

Height: 5'8

foxxy, I only saw the last few minutes, but a mention of 9,000 calories a day made me think of money instantly. Guess I am poor, but I am going broke eating no higher than the 1300s!

Anyway, I really liked that TLC special. The focus on dating and (to an extent) sex was very apt, I thought, as it's important and unique to his story. (Yes, that flirting coaching = cringeworthy, though!)

I am going to look out for more things like this, so thanks for posting it. I have actually been renting weight-related things lately; the most recent was Fat Chance (definitely not inspirational re: weight loss, but just interesting to me because I am obsessed with this topic ...)
WhitePicketFences is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 02:12 PM   #43  

Smile 650 lb virgin diet

Does anyone know if it is posted somewhere the kind of diet that he followed?

I watched the show lastnight and was very interesting
eggshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 03:04 PM   #44  
Escape from my fat suit

S/C/G: 290/210/130

Quote:
I just finished watching it and it was pretty disappointing.
I felt exactly the same. Here they had a perfect opportunity to educate people on how his weight loss was aqccomplished. How much exercise did he do? What exercises did he perform? What did he eat? What did he go through psychologically to not quit or give up? That is why I watched it. No offense to him, but I didn't watch it for a reality dating show. I wish him the best. I felt the advertising was misleading.
better health3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:35 PM   #45  
Maintaining ~6 years!

S/C/G: 263/Maintaining/150

Height: 5'8"

WOW, I'm late coming to this thread and didn't get a chance to watch this, but I just have to say--what an amazing transformation! It must be so shocking and surreal for him to go from essentially being ignored by women to being so dreamy (heh). He feels like the same person on the inside, and yet suddenly he's getting so much more attention. I wonder if he even realizes how great he looks! I am quite intrigued by this story. Even though it seems as though many of you were underwhelmed by the show, I definitely want to look it up now...
Star2Be is offline   Reply With Quote