Old 05-02-2009, 12:11 PM   #31  
Maintaining ~6 years!

S/C/G: 263/Maintaining/150

Height: 5'8"

Oooh, I just *love* the concept of this thread! For me, feats of "temptation resistance" have always been the most impressive, so I love reading everyone else's victories and have been waiting for the opportunity to share one of my own... Well, today I finally have one! Last night, I grabbed a quick dinner with some of my friends at our coffee/bagel shop on campus, and while everyone else went nuts with these massive delicious-looking bagels with various kinds of flavored cream cheese (one girl's whole dinner was literally a "pizza bagel" - two halves slathered with sauce, cheese, and pepperoni, then toasted - and a cup of blackberry lemonade!), I got a modest veggie wrap (minus the schmear that was supposed to come on it, heh) and a fruit salad cup. I felt really good about that! And then a little later, my friend and I had a little bit of extra time before the comedy show we were planning to go to, and she suggested we go grab dessert--eek!! I was just like, "Um, no, that's okay, I'm still pretty full from dinner..." (and I was), and thankfully she didn't press the issue, though a little after that she bought a brownie from a bake sale we happened to pass by at our student union, and being the awesome friend she is, she offered me half--and I said no! Not even a single bite! Hehe!!
Star2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:43 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/135

Height: 5'2

On Friday I had a super busy morning and I was running a ton of errands. Anyway I really had to use the restroom, so I decided I would stop at the next place I passed which happened to be a Dairy Queen. So I went in and used the restroom, after I came out I wanted to eat there so bad. I was hungry and Chicken Fingers and a Blizzard sounded so good. BUT I just walked right back out, I drove down the road and bought some brown rice sushi and went about my day!
Mikayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 12:46 PM   #33  
Maintaining ~6 years!

^ WTG! Now that ya mention it, Dairy Queen sounds really good right now... I don't know if I would have been able to resist if it were staring me in the face like that, hehe! Well done.

My latest food victory was last night when I went out to dinner at one of my *favorite* restaurants--I love it because it not only has tons and tons of delicious vegetarian/vegan foods, but a pretty wide variety of these amazing vegan desserts. Going to this restaurant usually requires a special trip, so I always feel like I "should" indulge when I go there, i.e. ordering whatever huge high-cal entree I want AND dessert, because it's really hard/nearly impossible to find good vegan food (especially desserts!) on my campus, so it always feels like I should take advantage of the rare opportunity to get some... But for some reason last night it just kind of clicked with me like, Hey, this isn't going to be the last time I *ever* go here--I think I can survive without having a big splurge this time! So, I ordered one of the healthiest menu items instead of the huge lasagna meal I wanted, and - get this - I DID NOT GET DESSERT! That was a HUGE accomplishment for me, because generally getting dessert is like 90% of the fun of going to this restaurant in the first place, hehe! But I had just had a delicious (planned) piece of cake last week, and I've resolved that I will not have another indulgence like that until I've hit the 150s, so somehow I was able to resist... I'm still not really sure how! But I'm very glad for it, and proud of myself!
Old 05-03-2009, 11:54 PM   #34  
yay! summertime!

S/C/G: 265/235/135

Height: 5'7"

WOOT, Meredith! Two different occasions of eating out, one in a restaurant with which you have an (ahem!) "history" and you stayed right on course! No dessert, no partial brownies, no over-indulgence of lasagna --- just good choices right down the line! Looks like you will be moving on down to the 150's (what a lovely number!) in the very near future, so put on those shoes and hit the track, gal! (By the way, the mini-goals achieved list at the bottom of your signature makes VERY nice reading!)

OMG, Mikayla --- you snubbed a DAIRY QUEEN? If I walked into one of those joints, I would land face first in the ice cream for sure! Excellent job for walking in and walking out without taking some extra pounds of fat ala mode with you! Now, get out there, take your lap and don't forget to wave at the folks in the bleachers!

VICTORY LAPS!

Numina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:13 AM   #35  

Height: 4'11"

We went out for dinner last night to celebrate my daughter's birthday, and I didn't have any dessert. Not a bite. Which is not to say I've been perfect, because we've also been moving, and that makes it a challenge to eat right. But at least I've avoided the vast majority of junk and fast food at a time when it would have been very easy to indulge.
thinpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:15 AM   #36  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikayla View Post
On Friday I had a super busy morning and I was running a ton of errands. Anyway I really had to use the restroom, so I decided I would stop at the next place I passed which happened to be a Dairy Queen. So I went in and used the restroom, after I came out I wanted to eat there so bad. I was hungry and Chicken Fingers and a Blizzard sounded so good. BUT I just walked right back out, I drove down the road and bought some brown rice sushi and went about my day!
Woo hoo! Great work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star2Be View Post
Going to this restaurant usually requires a special trip, so I always feel like I "should" indulge when I go there, i.e. ordering whatever huge high-cal entree I want AND dessert, because it's really hard/nearly impossible to find good vegan food (especially desserts!) on my campus, so it always feels like I should take advantage of the rare opportunity to get some... But for some reason last night it just kind of clicked with me like, Hey, this isn't going to be the last time I *ever* go here--I think I can survive without having a big splurge this time! So, I ordered one of the healthiest menu items instead of the huge lasagna meal I wanted, and - get this - I DID NOT GET DESSERT!
Awesome! It's so great when you have a simple revelation that turns your thinking around!
Old 05-07-2009, 08:29 PM   #37  
Maintaining ~6 years!

Thank you, Numina and thinpossible! You ladies are too sweet.

And thinpossible, WTG resisting the dessert last night and keeping up pretty healthy habits despite all the stress of moving--it sounds like you've been very busy, and it's always really hard to be able to plan out good choices and such when everything is such a whirlwind! So, it's just like what you said: it's not about being *perfect*; it's about making an effort to do the best you can, and it sounds like you have been doing really awesomely. Great job!

I am *hoping* that I'll be able to take a victory lap soon, because my mom recently told me that she mailed me a package of these amazing-sounding vegan "everything" cookies... Acckk!! I know (or at least I'd like to think!) she only meant it as a sweet, thoughtful gesture, NOT to sabotage me or anything, but I don't know what I'm going to do with a half-dozen cookies. I certainly don't plan on throwing all of them away, but I'm hoping that just having them around doesn't trigger me to binge and eat them all at once (which is unquestionably what I would have done in the past). So yeah, *hopefully* I'll be able to figure out my best option and come back here sometime soon for my lap! Hehe.

Last edited by Star2Be; 05-07-2009 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:49 AM   #38  

On Friday, movie night at my house, all the kids and the hubby had some candy, but for my treat I had a low fat yogurt. Go me!
Old 05-11-2009, 01:54 PM   #39  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

So glad I read this thread. How cool!

So, I'm adding. I had a good news, bad news weekend. Klondike bars were on sale at the grocery store, so I bought some... for the family. I had 2 on Saturday night. Gah!

But, my daughter thought I should have some for Mother's Day too and I just said I was too full... which is true.

Not worth a full lap, but maybe half a lap.
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 02:18 AM   #40  
Maintaining ~6 years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star2Be View Post
I am *hoping* that I'll be able to take a victory lap soon, because my mom recently told me that she mailed me a package of these amazing-sounding vegan "everything" cookies... Acckk!! I know (or at least I'd like to think!) she only meant it as a sweet, thoughtful gesture, NOT to sabotage me or anything, but I don't know what I'm going to do with a half-dozen cookies. I certainly don't plan on throwing all of them away, but I'm hoping that just having them around doesn't trigger me to binge and eat them all at once (which is unquestionably what I would have done in the past). So yeah, *hopefully* I'll be able to figure out my best option and come back here sometime soon for my lap! Hehe.
Oooh, I just realized that I totally forgot to come back and take my lap!! And I earned that sucker, too--in fact, I think I'm going to take TWO laps. The first one is for handling the situation with the cookies my mom sent: she sent me a half-dozen huge vegan "everything" cookies, and sure enough, they are absolutely amaaaazing. BUT I am extremely to pleased that I have *not* binged on them! I got the package on Thursday night, and had ONE cookie (yep, you read that right--ONE cookie!) that night, with a ton of water to fill me up and stave off the urge to reach for another, and it worked! Then throughout the next couple of days, I gave away two more of the cookies to two of my closest friends, who I knew would really appreciate them. Then last night, I had ONE more as a reward for finishing a paper (for school) that was due today. There are now just two of those cookies left, and I plan on spacing them out like I did with the first two. I gotta tell ya, I am SO proud of myself!!

The second lap is for the box of peanut butter Fiber One chewy bars that my mom ALSO sent along with the cookies--curses!! Not only do I LOVE F1 bars, but the peanut butter ones are my favorite--so much so that I realized that I *really* cannot keep them around anymore because I inevitably binge on them every freakin' time. Sooo I was really worried about having that box in my possession, especially since I knew I couldn't eat them anyways because they're not vegan, but I had this intense fear that I was going to binge on them, because I've lost control with those darn things so many times in the past. But before I could think much about it, I very quickly resolved to offer the box to a friend who is a fellow F1 fan, who naturally accepted them quite happily... Crisis averted!! *Whew*

WTG resisting the candy, thinpossible!! What is it about watching movies that just makes a person want to eat? Something just doesn't feel *right* if I'm sitting watching a movie without my hand in some kind of box/bag/carton... LOL!

Slashnl - Hey, as far as I'm concerned, ANY good choice you make is a victory in its own right, and certainly worth celebrating! You could have been triggered by falling into an all-or-nothing mentality, where you would have reasoned, Well, I already had two of these Klondike bars, so I might as well finish off the package--but you didn't!! Well done.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:58 AM   #41  
yay! summertime!

My husband is out of town, so I took my son out to dinner last night. He picked an all-you-can-eat salad place (because he knows that salad is good for me --- nice kid!). Well, of course those joints also include an all-you-can-eat pizza bar and an all-you-can-eat dessert bar! YIKES!

But I had 2 plates of a really good-tasting mixed green salad ..... AND NOTHING ELSE! The kid had 3 monster dishes of cookies/cake/ice cream/fixings and I wasn't even that interested.

Believe me, this was a new experience! YAY, ME!
Old 05-12-2009, 09:10 AM   #42  
yay! summertime!

ThinPossible --- First, you went out to dinner and politely turned down dessert. Then, you had yogurt when all those around you sat and ate candy? And al this while you are still in the middle of the chaos that is moving a family into a new home? EXCELLENT WORK! You better take a double trip around the track, waving at all your excited fans!

Slashni --- Oh, those Klondike bars are darn hard to resist. The boys are hooked on the Heath bar ones and believe me, when those are in the fridge, they sing to me! So, kudos to you for being able to turn them down the second day; you had your serious face on that day, didn’t you! Hope you have your running shoes on because you are taking a lap!

Meredith --- I sure hope your friends appreciate all that you are giving up to them! You gave away 2 homemade cookies AND are eating the remainder in a slow, planned way that fits into your calorie schedule? AWESOME! And you just totally gave away a box of sweet bars that you love but just didn’t fit your new healthy lifestyle? That deserves an “A” for sure! Get those track shoes on and join ThinPossible in a double lap!

Old 05-13-2009, 11:26 AM   #43  
Maintaining ~6 years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numina View Post
He picked an all-you-can-eat salad place (because he knows that salad is good for me --- nice kid!). Well, of course those joints also include an all-you-can-eat pizza bar and an all-you-can-eat dessert bar! YIKES!
"YIKES" is right!! I heard about a place like this that just opened in my hometown, and I immediately decided that if I know what's good for me, I will *never* go there! LOL! "All-you-can-eat" places have never been such a good thing for me, cuz, well, I can eat a LOT. Awesome job staying away from the pizza and dessert, Numina! That must have been sooo hard... Go take your lap; you have definitely earned it!!
Old 05-13-2009, 01:00 PM   #44  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numina View Post
My husband is out of town, so I took my son out to dinner last night. He picked an all-you-can-eat salad place (because he knows that salad is good for me --- nice kid!). Well, of course those joints also include an all-you-can-eat pizza bar and an all-you-can-eat dessert bar! YIKES!

But I had 2 plates of a really good-tasting mixed green salad ..... AND NOTHING ELSE! The kid had 3 monster dishes of cookies/cake/ice cream/fixings and I wasn't even that interested.

Believe me, this was a new experience! YAY, ME!
Woo! You GO girl!!!
Old 05-13-2009, 01:00 PM   #45  
yay! summertime!

Thanks, Meredith!

The all-you-can-eat salad place is doable, even with pizza and desserts, but those buffet places, with all-you-can-eat roast beef and fried chicken and mashed potatos and nachos, etc. scare me. I not only don't go it, but I avert my eyes when I drive past them!