Old 04-09-2009, 03:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 331 highest 308/see ticker/185

Default OT, thinking about writing a book

Hey guys

I am seriously thinking about writing a cookbook. I know there are millions out there, and seriously tons of them focus on healthy eating. But I have had so many people comment that I should start a cookbook. SO I am thinking about including alot of facts about nutrition, include all nutirional guides for each recipe, and focusing on healthy ingredients that are easy to find but not commonly used (kale, black eyed peas, bulgar wheat etc) And easy on the pocket book, and time schedule!

What would catch your eye? What would make you pick up yet another cookbook to add to the many you have that you are not using?

I would love to have any and all feedback!
Redflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 03:39 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I only buy vegan cookbooks these days but...

Look for a niche. My most recent cookbook purchase was on vegan soul food. When I go out to buy books, I will buy from known authors with little thought but unknown authors, I'm looking for something 'special'. A theme would help.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 03:45 PM   #3  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Height: 5'7"

You should do it......I personally would be looking for Vegetarian Low Carb cooking...Good luck!!!
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 03:45 PM   #4  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

I would love easy recipes for vegetarians and recipes that use things like quinoa and tempeh. And, I would love to learn how to make healthy tasty dishes with greens.....mustard, turnip, etc. I always hear about how healthy greens are for you, but I get absolutely lost with finding healthy tasty recipes.

Last edited by GirlyGirlSebas; 04-09-2009 at 03:45 PM.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 03:55 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 331 highest 308/see ticker/185

Rhonda, go to recipezaar.com and search for Kale Slaw, it has a spicey bite to it, but Fantastic! I used FF sour cream instead of mayo, my friend made it with veganaise instead of mayo SUPER recipe. I made a large batch of the spice blend that goes in the dressing and use it on all kinds of things. Greens are so healthy for you, and easy to grow too!
Redflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 04:03 PM   #6  
yay! summertime!

S/C/G: 265/235/135

Height: 5'7"

This is a really cool idea, RedFlame! I second the comments above about finding your own niche. And I would add to find a way to include your own wit and personality in there, too --- while there may be several different slaw recipe, for example, there is only one RedFlame and garnishing the recipes with your sense of humor would really set them off from the rest.

You will have to keep us posted on how this all goes! Isn't your road to wellness taking an interesting swerve?
Numina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 04:32 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've already packed away my writing books for our move this summer (and have no idea which box it's in), but I have a wonderful book on writing cookbooks (I've started about ten different books, one of which is a cookbook - which was tentatively titled "How to cook without a cookbook, including this one.") I still work on it occasionally - but the writing book I have has a great section on making your cookbook "standing out" from the crowd. Darn.

Well, anyway in searching for it on amazon, I found a bunch of titles that looked good (just search on: cookbook writing). If I find my book, I'll give you the title. I may have to order one of the books, Writing Cookbooks by Judith Comfort -probably through the library first, and if I like it I'll buy it from amazon.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 04:35 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 156/150/130

Height: 5'4

I personally like versatility. Something for everyone, meat lovers, vegetarians, vegans. It could appeal to people who entertain! Just my 2 cents! Good luck!

Jenny
winning the war is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 04:38 PM   #9  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I am starting a book as well. Some recipes will be included but more for providing examples rather than a cookbook format.

I love cookbooks--definitely whole foods cookbook offering low-calorie, high in nutrition, easy to prepare menu would be my picks. Please be sure to include nutritional content on recipes. I rarely buy cookbooks anymore because of the net but lots and lots of women still do.

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 04-09-2009 at 04:39 PM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 05:34 PM   #10  
Serious Ju Ju!

S/C/G: 260/see ticker /175

Height: 5 10 ( I hate being taller than all the cute guys!!!)

how about a section in the cookbook with recipies from the 3fc chicks????
seashell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:47 PM   #11  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I love cookbooks that show easy ways to prepare foods that are tasty and light. And one thing I LOVE is pictures! I hate hate hate when I get a cookbook full of just words. I want to see the finished product! It doesn't have to be that every single recipe has to have a photo but at least a few here and there!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:51 PM   #12  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I also would love to have a vegetarian cookbook. We have lots of friends that are vegetarians and it's always somewhat mind altering to find foods to feed and satisfy everyone.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 07:01 PM   #13  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

You can start, for free, at www.tastebook.com, assembling a cookbook. You can write it, get your recipes out for review, and even print hard-cover copies (great if you got a meeting with a publisher, to bring it out all printed and official). It divides it into sections, and you can slowly add new recipes as you come up with them. And even if your cookbook never makes it to publication, people flip over them as gifts.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:13 PM   #14  
Learning to love myself.

Height: 5' 7"

If I saw a title that read "When Time, Energy and Money are in Short Supply - Cook This!", I would buy it in a minute. I'm not sure how you would fit the "healthy" part of things in there, but I just know that sometimes I see recipes that take HOURS to prepare and when I come home from work the last thing I want to do is spend hours in the kitchen. At the moment, people are VERY conscious of where their dollar goes in the kitchen, so I think that you are on to a good point there.

Another title that would 'grab' me would be "It's not that hard to eat healthy meals!" Some people think that you almost need Oprah's personal chef to eat well, but some of my favourite meals are VERY easy and quick to prepare.

Good luck with this! I just hope we will be able to purchase it over here.
ZedAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:02 PM   #15  
the skies way bigger.

S/C/G: 66/61/50

Height: 5'3"

It would be great if you had pictures of the preparations too! I know that might be a bit overkill, but it helps to see like halfway through, oh this is how the chicken is supposed to look like at this point of time.
lixximajig is offline   Reply With Quote