Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2002, 09:51 AM   #1  

Post Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome Information

I was in the middle of writing to CaScarlet, and decided that it may benefit others if I posted the information.

Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome

It does NOT mean you just have cysts on your ovaries. You may not even have 1.

The root of PCOS is an inability to respond properly to insulin, the hormone produced in the pancreas that allows your body's cells to
absorb energy from the food you eat. This means your cells don't respond to the normal amount of insulin, so the pancreas pumps out even more. That's what insulin resistance is and it happens when the body turns carbohydrates, both simple and complex, into glucose that surges into the bloodstream. Insulin travels to the muscle cells, telling them to take glucose from the bloodstream and store it in the liver. As insulin levels in the blood increase, glucose levels in the blood decrease. When blood glucose falls below a certain level, the brain, which needs glucose to function, calls out for more by telling you to eat again. If it doesn't get glucose, the result is drowsiness or lack of mental alertness. This glucose shortage is also known as low blood sugar or hypoglycemia. When hypoglycemia strikes, the liver is unable to replenish bloodglucose from its stored supply because eating a carbohydrate-rich meal or drinking a sugary beverage creates an exaggerated insulin response that prevents delivery of the glucose. So, insulin remains in the bloodstream,sending messages to store more body fat and preventing the release of already-stored fat, and glucose remains in the liver instead of going to the brain. In addition, the high levels of insulin stimulate the ovaries to produce large amounts of the male hormone testosterone, which may prevent the ovaries from releasing
an egg each month, causing infertility. High testosterone levels in women also cause acne, male-pattern baldness, and excess hair
growth. Last but not least, it is the insulin problem that puts us at increased risk for diabetes as well as heart disease.

Symptoms of PCOS: Each woman is different and struggles with different symptoms. You do not have to have all of the symptoms to have this syndrome.

Irregular or absent menses
Numerous cysts on the ovaries
High blood pressure
Acne
Elevated insulin levels, Insulin Resistance, or Diabetes
Infertility
Excess hair on the face and body
Thinning of the scalp hair
Weight Problems or obesity that is centered around your mid section

PCOS causes HIGH Risks:
Diabeties
Obesity
Endometrial cancer
Heart Disease
Infertility
Lipid abnormalities
Cardiovascular risks

http://centerforpcos.bsd.uchicago.edu/
http://www.cysterhood.com/pcofiles/pcos.html
http://www.pcosupport.org/
http://forums.obgyn.net/pcos-medication/
http://www.pcos.net/

While it's a very confusing syndrome and frightning, it can be controlled. It's a bittersweet moment when and if you are diagnosed. Many doctors are not educated with endocrine disorders. If your doctor ignores your concern, demand to see a new doctor. Your health is worth the effort.

Last edited by BA99TJ; 06-05-2002 at 09:30 AM.
Old 05-31-2002, 11:11 AM   #2  
Losin It For GOOD!

You know, I would SWEAR I have PCOS except that I have no cysts on my ovaries! Now I'm going hmmmm...
Old 06-02-2002, 08:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 330/327/250

Height: 5'5

Default Thank You

I just wanted to thank you for repeatedly putting out info about PCOS. I was diagnosed with it about 10 years ago but was told not to worry about it, that the pill would regulate me and I would be fine. I"M NOT. And I'm just now finding out the ramifications of this disorder.

PCOS is a symptom of a much larger disorder called Insulin Resistance. You don't need to have PCOS to have IR but, According to my doc., Every woman with PCOS has IR. I urge every woman with even one or two of the following symptoms to be checked for IR.

=Hair loss on the head like typical male pattern baldness
=excessive hair growth or body
=family history of diabetes, Hypoglycemia, or obesity
=Dark patches of skin under the arms ,in the groin area or around the neck
=skin tags anywhere on the body(little flaps of skin)
=adult acne
=obesity(particularly around the midsection)
=feeling tried shortly after eating,especially carb loaded meals
=rapid weight gain or the seeming inability to lose weight no matter what you do.

This is a condition that can be managed. Unfortunatly the more you weigh, the worse it gets and the more you gain etc...
There are medications that are helping many deal with this disorder and if you have it you may be able to benifit from them. Also low carb diets and exercise help. Exercize is very important with this disorder.

It can't hurt to find out if you have this problem. A blood test can tell you either way. If you have it you can gear your plan to combating this disorder and may find more success that may be eluding you.

I have also recently found out that taking the DEPO PROVERA birth control shot can exaserbate this problem and make it even more difficult to lose weight. I have been on this shot for 2 years but will not be taking it any longer because of this.

Historically women are not treated equally by the health care industry. Arm yourself with as much info as you can before you go to the doctor. Unfortunatly we are not always taken seriously by physicians and sometimes its up to us to take our health into our own hands. If you feel there is something wrong with you don't take no for answer. Keep looking until you find someone who will help you in the manner you want. I have been telling various doctors for years that I knew something was wrong with me I just didnt know what it was.

Good luck to all of you on this road. Its a manageable disorder its just a matter of getting the diagnosis.

Sarah
Old 06-03-2002, 09:26 AM   #4  

Beth Anne..Please remember that you do not have to have all of the symptoms. Every woman is different and shows different signs of having this syndrome. Long ago, they gave this disorder this name because most women showed many cysts. That was the worst thing they could have done, and the medical field agree. Not all women have cysts and the cysts are actually the least of the problems. Please, see a doctor.

Sarah...Thank you for adding some info. I have been told that not all women with PCOS will have IR. But 9 out of 10 women will. It is very important to be checked. And yes, the more you weigh, the worse it is. And it's a vicious vicious cycle.

Women are usually "patted on the hand and sent home with BC. Birth control is the worst thing for this disorder. I too was told I'd be fine for years. We need educate ourselves and then fight back.
Old 06-03-2002, 09:48 AM   #5  
Losin It For GOOD!

I'm planning to call my doctor's office today to see if I can get a blood test for Insulin Resistance

Thanks girls for the help and information and great advice!
Old 08-21-2002, 01:03 AM   #6  

I just found this thread... thanks. I'm going to check out the links.
Old 08-21-2002, 09:50 AM   #7  

My best friend has PCOS, diagnosed while going though infertility treatments. She is very thin, and I kept thinking shouldn't she be heavier?? But it really manifests itself differently with every woman, a low carb diet has really helped her start ovulating again and her skin is clearing up. I highly recommend soulcysters.com.

I think many women have this condition and are not aware of it, and Doctors are somewhat clueless, so if you aren't getting helpful constructive answers, find another MD.

SunDrop
Closed Thread