3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Who was I kidding? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/161681-who-i-kidding.html)

Pandora123a 01-15-2009 06:47 PM

Who was I kidding?

I just found an old picture of myself. I looked huge...about twice my current weight. I remember when we took the picture, I thought I looked good.

Someone told me that Denial stands for

Don't
Even
kNow
I
Am
Lying

So true...

Scarlet 01-15-2009 06:53 PM

I've never liked photos of myself, but that said, just celebrate what you've accomplished and take a beautiful photo when you get to goal!

choirgirlhotel 01-15-2009 07:07 PM

That happened to me. I exclaimed to my mom "why didn't anyone TELL ME!!!". she said, "we did!".

~CGH~

Lyn2007 01-15-2009 07:10 PM

I know when I see the old pictures of me morbidly obese, my jaw drops. I can't believe it. Yet at the same time, I look at myself and think I haven't changed much. Total disconnect!

2ndChance09 01-15-2009 07:23 PM

When I am heavy I am always too afraid to look at pictures of myself because I know it will make me cry so I just don't look!

rockinrobin 01-15-2009 07:59 PM

Talk about denial. I know the place well.

I used to see photos of myself, the very few that I'd allow, and wonder why I looked so enormous in them. Just figured that the camera adds about, oh I don't know a few dozen lbs to oneself.

But the odd thing about it was, that my family or whoever else I was looking at in the pics, all looked the same exact size in real life as they did in the very same pics.

So I thought the camera only made *me* look heavier.

Funny thing is, now I look at pictures of me and think that I am HEAVIER in real life then I am in the photos. Someone please explain THAT ONE to me.

And choirglhotel, this made me giggle outloud:

Quote:

That happened to me. I exclaimed to my mom "why didn't anyone TELL ME!!!". she said, "we did!".
Oh my gosh, I just read it again - and giggled outloud again. I'm sorry. I'm sure it wasn't meant to be funny, but that's just how it struck me. :)

S.A.S.H 01-15-2009 07:59 PM

I dont look at my pictures either. Im too disgusted. I like the little thing about denial though, makes sense.

JulieJ08 01-15-2009 08:04 PM

Great acronym. But I do KWYM :)

TJFitnessDiva 01-15-2009 08:10 PM

I was going through pictures today of me at a convention last April....OMG I thought I looked great! So yeah I know what you mean

choirgirlhotel 01-15-2009 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockinrobin (Post 2554434)

And choirglhotel, this made me giggle outloud:

Oh my gosh, I just read it again - and giggled outloud again. I'm sorry. I'm sure it wasn't meant to be funny, but that's just how it struck me. :)

that's okay, it's funny now! LOL.

~CGH~

rockinrobin 01-15-2009 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choirgirlhotel (Post 2554538)
that's okay, it's funny now! LOL.

~CGH~

Oh thank you for saying so. It really IS funny - now. That "now" part being very, very crucial. ;).

thistoo 01-15-2009 08:45 PM

My sister likes to trot out old pictures of me, now that I've lost some weight. I don't know why she gets such a kick out of it; I guess because she's been helping me lose weight (she's an exercise physiologist) and she figures I can handle the truth now. Which I can, mostly.

Tonight she handed me a whole stack of old photos. After I stopped feeling like crying for that miserable-looking version of myself, I asked her to scan a couple. They're great befores, after all, and I will never look like that again, so I can deal with them :)

GirlyGirlSebas 01-15-2009 09:13 PM

I look in the mirror and I see a slender woman. Each day of my life, I feel like a slender woman. Then,I go clothes shopping or I see myself in a picture and reality slaps me in the face and I wonder "when did this happen?"

valpal23 01-15-2009 10:51 PM

pandora i so hear you. I went looking for 2 and 3 year old pics of myself last weekend ( i was feeling bummed about myself).

I didnt even realize. I didnt see it! And I sure didnt let people take pictures of me (I've got like 2 full body shots from 3 years... and i'm posing or standing funny)

Thighs Be Gone 01-15-2009 10:54 PM

Seeing a picture of me was pretty well THE turning point for me. Like you, I thought I looked REALLY good that day. The picture was of me and a couple of friends--I couldn't believe how big I was next to them!