Old 01-14-2009, 10:14 PM   #16  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I like that almonds and other nuts are easy to portion out. I love avocados too, but since my husband doesn't like them, I'm stuck between eating too much or having a lot of the avocado go to waste. It sure would be nice if someone would grow a miniature avocado the size of a small tangerine.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:20 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 265/156/143

Height: 177 cm (5ft10in)

As long as they're raw almonds and not fried/messed with/processed you should be fine. (watch portion!)
lewelaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:12 AM   #18  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I read about the value of almonds many months ago just a couple of months into my own journey. I think they have helped me feel satiated. I calculate 7 calories for every almond I eat. I usually eat 15. I like them especially in the Greek Gods 0 yogurt.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:41 AM   #19  
Ray of Sunshine

S/C/G: 243/241/140

Height: 5'4"

I'm fully supportive of nuts in general...almonds especially! I eat some sort of nut almost every day...Cashews are my all time favorite...but also the kind that I'll eat an entire container of....almonds I can stop with!
I'm supportive of the cocoa almonds 100% We found those at the store a few months ago and my BF and I are hooked! I also buy the big bags of raw almonds in the baking aisle (it's a lot less expensive) and will dry roast them myself if I want them to be roasted. Also, my new thing for the cold weather season is oatmeal...I make oatmeal almost every morning with cinnamon, sugar free maple syrup (it's basically maple flavored splenda) a small handful of raisins or cranberries (fresh or dried) and a serving of dry roasted unsalted slivered almonds. It gives the oatmeal a nice crunch and keeps me going through till lunch! For the oatmeal I buy the dry roasted unsalted slivered almonds at Trader Joes, they are about $3 a bag.
I never used to be into nuts...now I'm a nut loving fanatic
YogaGal08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:03 PM   #20  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Writing Coco almonds on my Sam's list for this weekend.

Thanks!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:10 PM   #21  
Kae
. * . * . * . * . * . * .

I LOVE Blue Diamond Natural Oven Roasted Almonds... they come in a variety of flavors, including Vanilla and Cinnamon Brown Sugar. A couple can fill me up between meals or give me just a taste of sweetness. I don't usually like almonds but I enjoy these. I get mine at Cub Foods...
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:14 PM   #22  
Registered Nut

S/C/G: 325/325/150

Almonds, just like any monosaturated fat are your best fats that you'd want to get. Other sources are sunflower seeds, avocados and olive oils.

I've read some studies that show that eating more monounsaturated fats actually reduce the amount of visceral fat (surrounding your organs). And that is much healthier on the body and lower amounts of visceral fat is related to less diabetes and heart disease. So eat up, but watch your portions!
RN BSN 2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:44 PM   #23  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Height: 5'7"

I guess I will continue to eat almonds then, but I dont find them very filling, like everyone says. I guess I am just a pig! But I will do my best to only eat either 10 or 20 at a time. I have found that leaving the bag at work helps. Cause I overeat at home and have more control at work. It has worked so far, lets hope it stays that way.
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:02 PM   #24  
Kae
. * . * . * . * . * . * .

Now, now... none of that talk. I know what you mean. At first I didn't find it filling... but as time has gone on it has gotten better.
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:50 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/140

Almonds...walnuts...pecans...even an occasional pistachio or cashew.

They feel like a treat and they are very healthy. As has been commented, portion control is everything.
Pandora123a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:55 AM   #26  
Howie6267's Honey

S/C/G: 277 / See ticker / 160

Height: 5'9"

Howie and I love almonds and walnuts -- really any nuts.

It takes a while before lesser portions of things produce a feeling of satisfaction. One thing you can do is drink a large glass of water when you have your almond snack. Sometimes thirst will masquerade as hunger.
Gardenwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 04:27 PM   #27  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Yeah, just count them into your fat servings for the day. I like to make trail mix with Craisins & unsalted almonds.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:35 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 310/250/140

I eat raw unsalted almonds every morning for breakfast, they fill me up and the protien helps with weight loss. Just remember to measure the portion size becasue it is easy to eat to many.
Badgerette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:34 AM   #29  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I love the taste of nuts, but the appropriate serving size is too small for me to use them as a true snack (I find that for me, nuts are never filling in themselves unless I've eaten way too many), so I don't use them as a snack on their own. Instead, I'll eat them with low-calorie, high fiber/volume foods or to satisfy a sweet craving.

If I'm craving something sweet, but am not necessarily hungry, I will portion out 6 of the cocoa almonds, or 6 of the raw almonds I get from Aldi (they're sweeter than roasted almonds), and eat them very, very slowly.

If I'm actually hungry, I choose something with more volume (incorporating the almonds or not).

I love the apple, peanut butter, and almond combination. Really yummy, but both the peanut butter and the almonds need to be measured carefully. I use my digital scale because it's easiest, more accurate, and I don't have to measure the peanut butter with a spoon. I warm a bit of the peanut butter on the counter, or in the microwave, so it's more spreadable, then I weigh my apples and zero the scale. Then I use a knife to very thinly spread the peanut butter along a quartered apple slices. Then weigh again. Calculate the peanut butter calories, zero the scale again, and then half or chop the almonds and sprinkle on the apple slices and watch the scale to make sure I'm using the quarter or half ounce I'm wanting to. For one or two fruit exchange (depending on the size of the apple) and 2 or 3 fat exchanges (about 200 to 240 calories), I've got a great snack or breakfast.

I also like almonds (not the cocoa ones) and other nuts, chopped, slivered, sliced or halved; in salads, coleslaws, hot and cold cereals...
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote