Old 12-10-2008, 01:43 PM   #1  
Loser :-)

S/C/G: 273/251/175

Height: 5ft8

Default Office Christmas party-I'm like an addict surrounded by free crack!

Today everyone brought goodies to share for lunch together. We're calling it a party. I am stressing out. There are deli trays, cookies-cookies-cookies, crackers and cheese, little foofie wrapped truffles, home-made fudge (this one literally made me start to sweat looking at it. I am like an addict with free crack!) creamy artichoke dip with a variety of chips and crackers, I brought a big veggie tray (thank God!) and a the other girl in my WW at Work brought a fruit tray.

This is a potential disaster in the making unless I plan ahead AND turn to you guys, my support team for accountability!!

My Plan:

1. I'm taking my break a half hour before the party...so I'm going to eat a salad and a boiled egg.
2. I am drinking 16 oz of water with my lunch.
3. We have big plates and little plates to choose from. I'm choosing the little plate. I'm going to fill up my plate with veggies first, next fruits, a few slices of deli meat.
4. I will sip a diet pepsi throughout to allow myself more time to enjoy the food, plus give my mouth something to do other than eat.
5. I will be safe in choosing a few crackers and eating about 4 squares of cheese.
6.. I will stay away from (I MEAN NOT EVEN A TINY TASTE!!)trigger foods like cookies, chocolate, and the evil artichoke dip.
7. I will throw my plate away when I am done with one trip to the table and then suck on some sugar free mints.

I might be overreacting a little but seriously, I'm scared. There is something about "free" food that is so psychologically tempting. I am afraid that this might trigger a binge, which could trigger a complete quitting of the whole plan. In the past this type thing would totally derail all my good intentions.

*Deep Breath* I can do this.

Last edited by Michelle98272; 12-10-2008 at 01:48 PM.
Michelle98272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:50 PM   #2  
Feelin' Sassafrassy

S/C/G: 317/271/165

Height: 6'0''

I am so sorry I read this thread title and about died laughing.

You can do this, you are stronger than the food sitting on those tables. Do not allow yourself to feel guilty for not eating those things, you are living a healthier lifestyle that that.

I either luckily or unluckily wont have an office Christmas party to deal with since I am out of work, however tomorrow night is Melting Pot night with my bible study girls. Its a fondue restaurant and we are going to have cheese and chocolate and other sinful delicacies. I am thinking about ordering a salad so I don't gorge myself on too much but we will see.

Last edited by Bee20nine; 12-10-2008 at 01:52 PM.
Bee20nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:53 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 226/141/126

Height: 5'4"

Defiantly sounds like a challenge, especially when we all just went through Thanksgiving and soon our holiday dinners... This is defiantly another knot in the rope that you have to carefully work through...

I think your plan sounds good.

Most people do recommend eating before a big temptation, for me, It would more than likely result in me eating twice as much as I normally would.

I think that you should just stick with your WW buddie and keep each other supported and strong. Keep reminding yourself of your goal, and how you are stronger than that piece of fudge!

also, kind of weird, but what I do is I think about what that food looks like all smashed up and set out for a while, usually looks like some type of nasty fat or sometimes what the cottage cheese parts of our bodies look like... Thats enough motivation for me not to eat it! (Compared to smashed up veggies, which don't resemble any nasty part of our bodies..) lol.
mudskippersgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:55 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 270/ 248/ 165

Height: 5' 11"

You can do it! Be strong! We have your back!
Great plan by the way. Your as prepared as a general going into battle. I love it.
zerocool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:56 PM   #5  

You have a plan so you're half-way through it already!

OK here's my big holiday success -- I got through the Disneyland Employee party without eating ANYTHING!

This one has always been a downfall because the admission to the park is free (it's Diz studio employees only 8 - 12) and they sell you everything for half off, and of course me kids want to eat there....I just always end up eating a lot of crap there.

Anyhow, last night it occurred to me to have a really NICE dinner at home before we went just for me (fake BLT with avocado, veggie soup and salad) at 6:00, take a bottle of water and a Luna bar and eat NOTHING OVER THERE AT ALL.

It was easier than I expected and I kind of felt like the sober one looking at all the wild eating that goes on there on the outside of it for a change.....a lot of people eating WHILE STANDING IN LINE TO EAT SOMETHING ELSE. And sorry -- amusement park food just isn't that good!!
K8-EEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 04:58 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Good luck...you have a good plan. That's an excellent start. I totally understand about certain foods being like crack - I am with you sister on that.

Good job k8-eee on making it thru Disneyland.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 07:49 PM   #7  
career counselor a-gogo

S/C/G: HW:~330 325/ticker/145

Height: 5'7

I also have a problem turning down free food! I like your plan, especially the part about taking a smaller plate. That alone can really help.
rodeogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:35 PM   #8  
Cute and fun to be with

S/C/G: 250/ticker/125

Height: 5' 5.5"

How did the party go?
My office party was tonight too. Fortunately the food was not terribly appetizing to me, and there were no sweets to tempt me. (my weakness)
To make matters worse, I had a dinner meeting afterward at a Chinese restaurant. I think I salvaged the situation pretty well (clear soup and sushi for dinner), but I missed exercise this afternoon due to the all the engagements, so nose to the grindstone, or at least the treadmill, tomorrow.

Last edited by knobhdy; 12-10-2008 at 09:35 PM.
knobhdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:40 PM   #9  

Default I did it!!!

I made it! I was able to stay OP throughout the party. I wasn't able to get a salad or boiled egg before the party, so I started out with a small plate full of baby carrots with about 1 tbs of ranch dressing. I ate all of that, slowly and alternating sips of diet pepsi.

When that plate was done, I then went back and filled half my plate with veggies (carrots and brocolli), then 1/4 with fruit (honeydew melon and canteloupe) the other 1/4 I put 2 cubes of cheese, 1 slice roast turkey, 4 ritz crackers, 4 cashews.

My bit of being nice to myself without going overboard was the cheese and cashews.

Someone commented on the fact that I didn't hit the cookies, fudge, dip, etc...I just smiled and said, "I'm fine, thanks."
Old 12-10-2008, 09:54 PM   #10  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

Excellent work. My office "holiday breakfast" thing was this morning and I didn't go. (I never do, no one notices.) But afterwards, some of the treats made their way to my section of the building...chocolate, doughnuts, etc. Resisted, but the smell and sight was pretty tempting.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:59 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 270/ 248/ 165

Height: 5' 11"

You rock! You did a lot better than I did at my Christmas Party. Thanks for posting. Your story gives me hope that I could do the same.
zerocool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:03 AM   #12  

Zerocool~I never would have made it before coming here. Before I would have thought that I might have trouble but not made a plan of what to do or had anyone to turn to for accountability. I seriously thought of you guys while I was "partying". I wanted to do the right thing.

The fact that I see all kinds of people here who have been successful at losing a LOT of weight, normal people just like me, makes me believe I can do it too.

Thank you all for your kind words!!
Old 12-11-2008, 03:14 AM   #13  
Alicia :)

Height: 5'2"

The title is hilarious and I can so relate! I am beginning my weight loss journey right now, right at Christmas! I opted out of the holiday party, simply b/c ours is a sit down meal at a fancy restaurant in midtown Atlanta, and I cannot and will not do that to myself. In order to not feel guilty about the Toys for the Tots drive going on at the holiday party, I brought my gifts in early and put them in the box! Yay!
akelly728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 07:57 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/120

Height: 5 foot 4

Congrats! I think it's really great that you planned and was able to twike it when you were able to get that salad and egg in!
mezmerize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 07:58 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/120

Height: 5 foot 4

tweek it.... geez typo queen here
mezmerize is offline   Reply With Quote