Old 11-06-2008, 04:40 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by applestar View Post
My thing is I cant do it alone but I have no one for support.
You're not alone! You have everyone here ready to support you in any way possible. Okay, we're not physically with you, but every time you feel like you're backsliding, come here, and we'll help you keep from eating that sugary treat. Every time you don't want to go out and walk, come here and we'll tell you to get off the couch! Join a challenge if that will help motivate you, join an accountability group for exercise and/or eating. I would say that many people here didn't have buddies or even supportive spouses (although it's certainly easier), but they managed to make their health a priority. I think a heart-to-heart with your DH would be an excellent idea to make him realize how important losing weight is, and also to find out what might be holding him back from supporting you.

Make that commitment to yourself, applestar. You deserve it.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 05:37 PM   #17  
150 by my 50th!!!

S/C/G: 341/261.4/150

Height: 5'7"

Hi Applestar and hang in there! We all go through those phases- I am going through one myself this week where it seems I am a bottomless pit-I cant get enough! So I am sure to graze on healthy items such as fruit, sugar free popsicles and good protein such as tuna salad made with red onion, dill relish, celery, hard boiled egg whites and just enough LF mayo to moisten...I eat that on RyVita crackers and it really keeps me full. I also like the stallone high protein puddings with some SF cool whip and the EAS high protein shakes-protein really keeps me full and is how I lost the majority of my weight.

If you need support do you have a local chapter of TOPS or Overeaters anonymous that you could join? That could truly be a lifeline for you. I am hugging you over the internet...and you are in my prayers!
Arlene Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:31 PM   #18  
career counselor a-gogo

S/C/G: HW:~330 325/ticker/145

Height: 5'7

Hi Applestar I just read your post.

Have you ever thought about seeing a counselor? It can be helpful. I was never a big believer in psychology but I am getting a Masters in school counseling now which was, duh, a psych degree lol. Part of our training is to do mental health counseling with volunteer clients and I have honestly been amazed at how many of my clients have told me how helpful it was. It's sort of weird for me because I don't feel like I do much more than listen and ask them to clarify things and somehow in the process things become more clear to them as well and they come back and tell me or show me the changes they've made and I think wow I really didn't do that much! But somehow it does help.

I would recommend finding someone who is into Solution Focused Brief Therapy - it focuses on the positive and is meant to get right to the point and help you see progress in fewer sessions. If you can't find someone who does solution focused therapy, then CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) would be my next suggestion. Most counselors use CBT to some extent - it kind of fits with any theory.

I was super skeptical about counseling (mental health counseling that is - I love career and educational counseling) but I have to admit it can be helpful. Anyhow just a thought. Also if you live near a university with a mental health counseling masters program they might offer free counseling like we do.

Last edited by rodeogirl; 11-09-2008 at 10:34 PM.
rodeogirl is offline   Reply With Quote