Old 10-06-2008, 03:16 PM   #1  
Almost the Big 50!

S/C/G: Goal of 150!

Height: 5'8"

Default Wondering were every one is cutting down.

The economy is killing most people around me, I was wondering how you guys are dealing with everyday life?

I have cut down shopping to 1X a week, I was spending so much more going 3X a week also keeping the AC off more because I am home all day.
CyberGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 05:13 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

My DH is riding his bike to work, and I try to have at least two days a week where I don't drive. I raised the deductible on my insurance (home and auto), which cuts down on the premium. I no longer eat meat, and my DH seldom eats meat anymore just because I make meatless recipes. He also cut out his artisan bread "habit," which was running about $9 a week. We recently moved and are in the process of fixing up the house. There's a Habitat for Humanity store that I've been using to buy things like switchplates, towel racks, hardware for cabinets, etc., and we'll probably buy some interior doors from them, too. Except for underwear and socks, I buy my clothes at thriftstores or consignment stores. If I want something new, then I'll put it on my gift list for Christmas or my birthday. Also, I put most everything on a rewards credit card that's paid off every month.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 05:27 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Luckily the weather is cooling off nicely, so we're able to not run the a/c at all at home. That's one big savings.

We've stopped driving as much. It really requires thought if we're going to go over to a friend's house - and even more if that friend lives across town.

I'm becoming obsessive about turnign off lights, turning off appliances, etc. to save every penny we can.

I'm going to be re-weatherstripping (myself) all of our windows and doors before the cold weather really hits.

I'd say I'm cutting back on eating out, but that's something I've been doing steadily since changing my eating habits anyway, so it's both economic and health/weight related.

I've really gone over our budget and slimmed down things where we can - dropped the extra line on our cell plan, dropped our Netflix plan to the lower one, dropped our cable to fewer premium channels, etc.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:40 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 170/Ticker/124-126

Height: 5'3"

SHOPPING my god i used to shop daily! And now i dont go so i save my gas money and the money i used for shopping lol.
jahjah1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:54 PM   #5  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

We live 15 miles from anywhere and 100 miles from anywhere with a mall, so we definitely have cut down on our driving. DH drives the old Buick to work daily instead of his pick-up). We make our kids ride the bus unless there is an important reason they need to go in early/stay late. Fortunately with 100+ pounds gone, I'm rarely hot anymore, so our AC bill really dropped this year. I'm a little worried about winter though. We just had our propane tank filled to start the winter and it was over $500.00. We will all be dressing in warmer clothes and keeping the thermostat much lower. We are really bad about buying lawn and garden stuff though. We need to start swapping starts of plants with friends and neighbors.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 07:42 PM   #6  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

I've turned our A/C on 4 times this summer...only when the house itself gets over 90 degrees, and only until it's below 90 degrees. This winter, we'll probably only run the heater when the house temp drops below 65. It just depends on how bitter the winds are. We stay on a "budget" plan with our gas company, so every month we pay the same amount. Since we use almost no natural gas during the spring, summer and fall, we have a high balance to get us through the winter.
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 07:45 PM   #7  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

not eating out as much
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 08:58 PM   #8  
Almost the Big 50!

I too am trying to be careful, sold my new SLK and bought a New Mini, love the 42MPG,so no payments,and got a large check back, run my fans more, I am Lucky I have a tiny Mobile home, no payment but lot and thats 174.00 a month, Elec seem like it has shot up in price.... and use Vonage 14.99 a month, not sure what else i can do?
Old 10-06-2008, 09:07 PM   #9  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Cyber, do you have a cell phone? You could switch to exclusively using your cell phone.

As far as electric, what type of appliances do you have? Do you leave small appliances that aren't in use plugged in? We have a fairly small house (1200 sqft) and our electric bill is usually about $28/month. Our water bill is actually higher :P
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:52 PM   #10  
Almost the Big 50!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altari View Post
Cyber, do you have a cell phone? You could switch to exclusively using your cell phone.

As far as electric, what type of appliances do you have? Do you leave small appliances that aren't in use plugged in? We have a fairly small house (1200 sqft) and our electric bill is usually about $28/month. Our water bill is actually higher :P
No but in florida hot here often, my electric is about 75.00-110 bucks, i turn everything off i can,no nothing is left plugged in at all..I have older stove and ref. and central AC and heat, washer and dryer...I have a cell prepaid I leave in the car with 250 bucks on it...cells dont work well were i live, on edge of the forrest
Old 10-06-2008, 10:14 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 248/240/167

Height: 5'6

We don't eat out anymore. I am lucky because the grocery store is on my route from work to home. I don't shop except for Saturday which was my birthday. I spent $45.00 on some potholders, oven mitts, a book and a meat thermometer. This was my birthday present to me. Dave bought me a card. I am fine with that. I used to spend around $300.00 on myself and Dave would get me something nice. Not this year. I make sure that the lights are off in rooms that are not occupied. I am on a clothing and shoe diet. I love shopping for these things. Most of my money is going to food and gas. It won't be long before I just start walking places. The weather is still nice and the exercise would make me feel better.
aliciag57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:41 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

I use to leave the house just about every day. Not only did I waste gas but every time I left I'd end up spending money. Usually nothing big but $20 here and there definitely adds up! I've also stopped buying books. I have a major book addiction and have been trying to just browse at the store more or go to the library. I'm trying to buy only groceries and produce that are on sale and make meals from them instead of planning meals and then buying the food. We also buy a lot of luxury items like video games the day they come out and stuff for our other hobbies. We both agreed that from now on we'll wait for sales or holidays.
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 02:33 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

Wow. I have to admit I am watching things from afar, I didn't realize the full extent of things were going for you all. So far in Canada we aren't having these same problems... YET... calm before the storm I suppose, as our gas prices have significantly dropped. And just as things have raised I was fortunate enough to get a huge raise at work, I feel very blessed!

My heart goes out to each and every one of you, I sure do hope things get better!

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote