Old 09-23-2008, 08:52 AM   #16  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

A neighbor brought over a bushel of fresh pears. I ate 2 large ones yesterday, and so far this morning I've been in the bathroom a few times already. Fresh pears are loaded with fiber...and are delicious!

ETA: If extra fiber doesn't work...(not fake fiber, but real fiber from healthy foods) then try a few teaspoons of epsom salts in a tall glass of water. It will taste terrible, but it works quickly and without any cramping.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 09-23-2008 at 08:56 AM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:10 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

Broccoli always works for me! I don't know about fiber one bars, here in Canada the first few ingredients are sugar.. yikes! They sure do taste good though!

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:44 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/120

Height: 5 foot 4

Aimee you have no idea how fast I grabbed my Fiber One Bars box! It has 10 grams of sugar. I'm not sure if that is alot. What is the limited amount per day? I have found the Fiber ones have kept me full and I don't bing with them. I guess I've been looking more at calories per bar/sat fat grams and fiber. I don't add sugar to anything I eat/drink and I don't eat bakery items. (It's pasta that I love.) So I was thinking I'm ok on sugar. Humm maybe not. I usually have them for a snack or to hold me off if I am busy and can't eat. (say at friends/or just out) I will have to look into this.
mezmerize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:57 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/120

Height: 5 foot 4

What's fake fiber? So is fiber added in foods or drinks or powders that you can add to your meals is it bad? I'm confused. I know it's best to get from real foods. (maybe I'm taking the word fake wrong you know as something deseptive)
I eat fresh fruits and veggies with every meal. On top of that I eat fiber enriched foods. Fiber one, Fiber Choice,All Bran, Bena Fiber, and Kashi are my brands of choice. So am I wasting money on these Fake Fibers? I'm not trying to start any war I just want to know if I am wasting money.
mezmerize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:27 AM   #20  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Mez - if they help you and you enjoy them, then you aren't wasting your money. All the research done on the benefits of fiber have been done on foods naturally high in fiber like fruits, veggies, whole grains, legumes, etc. I don't eat added fiber or fiber bars or what not personally and I'll 'go' multiple times per day.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:40 AM   #21  
Workin' It

Not to try to hijack this post, but I have a question that this post has brought to ming. This is going to sound really stupid, but I don't know how often I should 'go'... I may go several days, then several times a day for a couple of days, then go several more days. Do I need to be taking fiber supplements, too?
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:49 AM   #22  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Shannon,

Before I started eating healthier, I'd not 'go' for many days and honestly I felt fine and thought that was perfectly normal. As my diet got better, I became more regular. Now I 'go' more than once a day.

From what I've read, you should be at least going every day and if not, you should increase the amount of fibrous food you eat. Of course there are things like dairy which will prevent you from going.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:51 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
Not to try to hijack this post, but I have a question that this post has brought to ming. This is going to sound really stupid, but I don't know how often I should 'go'... I may go several days, then several times a day for a couple of days, then go several more days. Do I need to be taking fiber supplements, too?
You may find that with lots of fiber-rich foods, that you are more "regular" (i.e., every day, even at the same time, and pretty much the same, uh, result). I know it made a big difference for me. But really, a whole lot of individual variation is normal. It also has a lot to do with having a consistent daily routine in regards to activity , when you get up & go to bed, stress, and so on. I think it's worth trying to optimize all those things in your life, because the benefits go way beyond your bathroom habits. But beyond that, I wouldn't stress on trying to achieve some particular idea of normal.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:02 AM   #24  
Believe...

S/C/G: 245/ticker/150

Height: 5'9

Hot cup of coffee in the morning
Krista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:52 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krista View Post
Hot cup of coffee in the morning

I was surprised this didn't work, bc it usually does. And I do think I'm getting enough fiber, as I'm eating tons of fruits and veggies. TONS! I even had a salad at lunch. I got home and drank some metamucil (sp) and that did work, but it was so bad AND painful that it scared me enough to drink another glass before bed last night and now again after dinner tonight. I don't want another day like yesterday.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:02 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 204/187/140

Height: 5'8

Sorry for being so naive, but why is it so important to #2? Wont it all come out eventually?
raw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:06 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by raw23 View Post
Sorry for being so naive, but why is it so important to #2? Wont it all come out eventually?
cause I had the feeling of having to go, but couldn't, thus giving me a lot of pain. If I didn't have any pain, I prob wouldn't worry about it.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:11 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 204/187/140

Height: 5'8

Ah...
Thanks!
raw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 01:14 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Mez - I am avoiding all sugar and wheat in my diet, due to allergies, and since the Fibre 1 bars in Canada have so much sugar in the top ingredients I avoid them. But this is for my body, I simply cannot lose weight while having sugar and wheat. Big bummer for me.

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:16 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

There is lots of healthy variants in how often one "goes". Doctors don't worry about constipation until you haven't gone for two weeks!

I find that as I have reduced "bulky" foods I go less often, once every two-three days.
Pandora123a is offline   Reply With Quote