Old 05-19-2008, 12:23 PM   #16  
Future Glamazon

S/C/G: 254/198/170

Height: 6'2"

Oh, I used to tell people how much I weighed if they asked, but I always shaved about 20-30 pounds off the true number!

Now, I'm actually at the weight I used to tell people I weighed.
Apple Cheeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:35 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

I so wish I could tell ppl, I don't think the number defines who I am, but I do feel shame from it. ( the number ) I think my weight has kept me from experiencing a lot of things women my age have experienced.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:35 PM   #18  
I like to move it,move it

S/C/G: 330/275/160

Height: 5'6"

I have a hard time letting people know. I finally told my best friend, who has also struggled with her weight---so that wasn't so hard. My little mom finally pryed it out of me----after years and years of trying. She reacted well, I expected to feel some sort of scare from her, because it was so much---but she said that it was about what she thought. It felt like a big release to tell her. My husband on the other hand still does not know. I don't think it would make an iota of a difference, but I'm still keeping it to me----at least for now. I think when I get down to a few pounds less than he is, then I will tell him.
November2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 01:13 PM   #19  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've never understood the logic of shaving off a few digits off either weight or age. I guess I always thought people could tell anyway, so I thought lying would make me look like an idiot.

I've often joked that when I get old enough to be tempted to lie about my age, I am going to lie up, so that people tell me I look so much younger, rather than suspect I am lying or think I look horrible for my age.

I've never been tempted to lie up about my weight, but I think that's because whenever I disclose my weight, I'm inevitably met with disbelief "no, you can't weight that much."

I used to think this meant that I carried my weight well, and looked good for my size. Now, I wonder if it's because so many people shave off a few, that no one knows what "real" weights look like.

It reminds me of reading Camryn Manheim's book, Wake Up, I'm Fat! When she talks about being turned down for a role because she wasn't fat enough - the producers wanted someone "like over 200 lbs." At the time Camryn's weight was 250 or more.

Last edited by kaplods; 05-20-2008 at 07:29 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:49 PM   #20  
On my way...

S/C/G: 255/240/150

Height: 5'7

I used to not want even my husband to know how much I weigh. But I realized that if I want to lose weight and be successful then I need to be 100% completely honest. And that includes telling everyone how much I weigh. I can not hide behind my weight anymore. Its not like if I tell someone the number I weigh they are going to be like OMG you are fat. They can tell that by looking at me. LOL So I might as well not be ashamed of it. I weigh 236 and I am doing something about it. It was hard to say it the first time I did to my friends and husband but once I did I felt a certain kind of freedom.
dek6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 04:32 PM   #21  
Piseag beag boidheach

Height: 1.79

I don't particularly like to say my weight. Right now, only 3 people know how much do I weight; my doctor, my boyfriend and my sister (she read my eating plan; that's why she knows, as I don't want to tell). This is the most overweight I've ever been, and I'm quite ashamed of having reached that weight.
I will probably say how much I weight after I loose at least 10ks, although I'm not sure.
Teacher2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 04:50 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Isn't it funny...my driver's license reads 140 pounds...which is about 10 pounds less than I weighed at 16 when I first got a driver's licence! I've never changed it. The folks at the driver's license bureau changed my hair color to blonde (I still say it is light brown) but no one has ever questioned the 140.

Pandora
Pandora123a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:02 PM   #23  
Piseag beag boidheach

I really find strange the fact that driver licences in the US have so many personal data. In my country, driver licenses, apart of basic data ( name, birthday, ID number, place where you got it, day when you got it and expiration date), only says whether you uses glasses or not and whether you use a hearing aid. No weight!!!! In fact, I don't think that any of our documents include that kind of data (although I'm not totally sure about passports, as I don't have one).
Of course, you'll find strange that our documents are so scarce with respect to personal information.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:14 PM   #24  
small goals at a time

S/C/G: 281/276/250 (For now)

Height: 5'10"

It is the worst question in the world. I had this discussion with my class (fifth grade) the other day. They were asking how old I was (im 26) and one of the boys in the back shouted out "It's rude to ask a lady her age!"

I couldnt help it I laughed out loud, which was immediately followed by someone else yelling "My mother told me to never as a girl how much she weighs" and yet a third (a girl) yelling "I weigh 89 lbs!" I laughed so hard that I cried. But was seriously relieved no one dared to ask me that!

Of course in the end one little girl who is just the sweetest said "It doesnt matter how old someone is or what the weigh it is if they have a pretty smile!"
chubbypenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:35 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 328/276/140

Height: 5'4"

The only people to ever ask me have been medical professionals. I've never thought about what to respond if anyone asked...I'd probably stammer in disbelief, then make a joke and change the subject!

The most public I've been about my actual number is right here

Very liberating! We'll see if I ever get beyond that hehehe.
Boomcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 04:11 PM   #26  
Piseag beag boidheach

Didn't you melt when she said that? I think that those things are a teacher's best reward.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:50 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 264/264/140

My mum hasn't known how much I've weighed since I was about 6 years old, and thats the way I like it. If she was to know I'd only get horrible/sarcastic comments every time she sees me eating anything. grrrr living at home
lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:35 PM   #28  
small goals at a time

S/C/G: 281/276/250 (For now)

Height: 5'10"

I was inspired today to say my weight outloud. I said it to two people. It is very liberating. I will say it here too.....I weigh 275 lbs!
chubbypenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:41 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 293/296.6/150

Height: 6'

Nobody has ever asked me how much I weigh and I'm not sure exactly how I would handle it if they did... but I feel fairly certain I woudln't be honest. After reading these posts I think that's something I need to work on. Only recently have I been able to refer to the obvious fact that I'm obese around people who aren't. And I still get a strange feeling like I'm making everyone uncomfortable as if I'm mentioning something that shouldn't be discussed in polite company.
Jolly Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 12:29 PM   #30  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 250/225/150

Height: 5'5"

Sometimes I like to tell people how much I weigh! For example just last week a few of us were having a discussion about men who are attracted to "large" women and one of my male coworkers commented "I couldn't imagine being with a woman who weighs 200 lbs!" to which I frankly told him how much I weigh (197), he looked shocked and said "there's no way you weigh that much!" I've gotten that reaction a lot, I'm a size 12 which is quite average by today's standards and when people guess my weight they usually say around 160.

On a side note I don't like to tell people who much I used to weigh at my highest (250) because I'm very embarrassed by that number and that I let myself get up that high.

Last edited by wisher; 05-22-2008 at 12:30 PM.
wisher is offline   Reply With Quote