Old 02-11-2008, 01:25 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

Some people just suck. Being related to them doesn't change anything; it just means that you have to spend a certain amount of time surrounded by people who suck.

Use whatever encouragement works to keep you going. This is a long journey; sometimes we do it for all the right reasons and sometimes it's just fun to stick it to somebody who treated you badly. My biggest incentives have been getting BP and glucose numbers under control. That doesn't mean there wasn't a certain amount of pleasure in looking better than my DH's ex-wife when I had to see her at a Christmas function.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 01:34 PM   #17  
On my way to FIT

S/C/G: 285/298/130

Height: 5'1"

It really wasn't nice to laugh at you like that - I would be so hurt if one of my sisters treated me that way. It speaks really poorly for her that she feels the need to belittle you in such a vicious and insulting manner.

You are not petty at all. Please disregard all negative input and keep your focus on only the positive.

Eileen2bLean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 01:48 PM   #18  

Height: 5'5"

I'm with Robin. Keeping this up for the long term is tough, so you take your motivation where you find it. The challenge is, though, to keep it - I'll show them how mistaken they were - rather than to let it morph into - Nobody thinks I can do it anyway, so why does it matter?

There are so many good, good reasons to do this. As fellow travelers who have had many obstacles and setbacks, we know better than anyone that perserverance = success, even if it's not always as smooth as we'd hoped. You CAN do this, and we will love to hear how shocked your sister and friend are when they finally notice your accomplishments.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 02:04 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 252/226/165

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gina1221 View Post
So I took the cookies and rewrapped them and gave them to the aunt that gave me the chocolates and rewrapped the chocolates and gave them to the friend bearing cookie gifts.
ROFL! I love it!

I experienced this same thing when I went to college at 242 lbs. I went to the nutritionist because I knew that my life at home hadn't prepared me to eat in a healthy way in the real world. She basically told me not to try and that I'd be lucky not to gain any weight during my freshman year. This, coming from a professional! That meeting kept me from trying for the next four months. Finally, after Christmas vacation at home, I decided that I could do it anyway. When the school year ended I weighed 199 lbs, and it felt SO GOOD to go back to that nutritionist the next school year at 175 lbs.

So honestly, do it for yourself but if you get satisfaction from proving people wrong, then don't feel guilty for enjoying it. You deserve to feel good about yourself! You DESERVE to do this.
KendraLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 02:14 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 220/220/120

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trazey34 View Post
heheh I thought this thread was "do you feel PRETTY" LOL glad I read it !!!

yes, I feel petty sometimes, like I really just want to say "nah nah nahanhahha" to people who think i can't do it!!

For instance, my always skinny sister out West, on hearing that I've lost almost 60 lbs., sends me a box of GODIVA chocolates for Valentine's -- she has NEVER DONE THIS EVER!!!!! coincidence????!?
Lol I thought it was do you ever feel pretty too ha.

I feel petty as well sometimes. I know a lot of people in my life prob. think I will fail (again) at losing weight and I sooo badly want to prove them wrong. I want to lose the weight and be skinny and shock everyone. I feel bad about that sometimes but hey if it helps to motivate me to stay on track than I guess it can be a good thing!
MommytoGirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 03:20 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

I admit it - I'm petty. I try to keep it to myself but sometimes when my slim friends start to put on weight I gloat in my head.
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 04:08 PM   #22  
vek

S/C/G: 203/ticker/180

Height: 5ft2"

One fisherman was catching 3 fishes a day everyday. His neighbour was only catching a fish a day. The first fisherman will be happy for his entire life if his neighbour will never be able to catch more than one fish a day. His entire universe rapports to his neighbour's ability of catching fishes. What can upset our fisherman? A storm? No. The disparition of fishes in his lake? No. The only thing that can turn upside down his life is if his neighbour will become a better fisherman.
Be a better fisherman.
vek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:00 PM   #23  
IncredibleShrinkingWoman

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'11"

Wow, I can't believe your sister laughed at you. That's awful. =/ I have a hard time talking to people about my plans to lose weight because I'm too sensitive and I'll take even supportive comments to be condescending and hurtful. But your sister? Wow. I don't even know what I'd do if someone outright laughed at my efforts.
bigtxmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:16 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 260/244/160

Height: 5'3"

I work with all guys, and this morning someone brought in breakfast for us and someone asked why I wasn't eating the quiche, and I said I don't know how many points they have. And one guy said, "oh you are doing that points crap?" Then he proceeds to tell me he eats one day and fasts the next.... how is that healthy. Then everyone knew after that. You just have to count on yourself and people on here for support. And you will show your sister and your friend you can do it. Make them eat their words. Good luck to you.
dali78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:28 PM   #25  
Have you had The Surgery?

S/C/G: 510/225.4/199

Height: 69.09"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trazey34 View Post
heheh I thought this thread was "do you feel PRETTY" LOL glad I read it !!!

yes, I feel petty sometimes, like I really just want to say "nah nah nahanhahha" to people who think i can't do it!!

For instance, my always skinny sister out West, on hearing that I've lost almost 60 lbs., sends me a box of GODIVA chocolates for Valentine's -- she has NEVER DONE THIS EVER!!!!! coincidence????!?
I thought it would be a thread about Tom (you know the one who played with Stevie Nicks on Stop Draggin' My Heart Around, then later teamed up with the Heartbreakers?) Petty. Thankfully not, I never cared for his music.

Back to topic...EVERYONE has known of my plight, my determination to lose this weight. At work, if someone brings in treats to share, they always have something special for me (like a sugar free item). The other day she bought everyone a Hershey's with Almonds bar. She bought me a bag of almonds Thankfully I had no one to laugh at me, everyone knew I was knocking on deaths door if I continued down the path I had taken.
FresnoBeeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:47 PM   #26  
~One Day At A Time~

S/C/G: 301.2/Ticker/250

Height: 5 6"

[QUOTE=Trazey34;2048384]heheh I thought this thread was "do you feel PRETTY" LOL glad I read it !!!

LOL! I thought the same thing! Great minds think alike . I know how you feel. The third day into me eating and exercising my boyfriend asks me if I want him to pick up Mcdonalds for dinner. I was so mad at his lack of consideration for me, and his lack of confidence in me. Just because we have failed at this before doesn't mean that we deserve to be treated with such disrespect, and disregard. Dont mind her because if she's treating you the way she is then she really doesn't matter. You deserve better, and you deserve to lose weight, and you will. Just remember that your doing this for yourself first, and foremost
ThisTimeIsDifferent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:21 PM   #27  
Sea

S/C/G: 213/161.2/115

Height: 5'3"

I'm with you. The very day I started back on my diet my dh pressed me to, "make your special cookies (choc no-bakes) for your sister." I made them for her, and of course, she left most of them here when she left. Ten to one, she'll bring more chocolate in again when she next returns. She did that repeatedly the last time I tried to get my weight under control.
We have to think of ourselves or we will force them to bury us.
Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:20 AM   #28  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

I just smile smugly and think "you'll see... I am now and will be more fabulous then you ever were... inside and out".

I don't say it of course, but thinking it makes me feel MUCH better.
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:18 AM   #29  
low carbin' it

S/C/G: ~256/153.5/154

Height: 5'6

Determination can sure prove them wrong. As you continue to lose weight and show that you can stay away from their treats, eventually they start respecting you and your diet. Don't let other people get to you, in the end you'll prove them wrong.
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 01:42 PM   #30  

Height: 5'8

Nah, it's not catty or petty, it's taking revenge by living well. Catty & petty is discouraging/disparaging someone's attempts at self-improvement because it makes us feel insecure. There's cattiness & pettiness going on, but not by you.
nylisa is offline   Reply With Quote