Old 01-10-2008, 08:57 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 238/213/150

Height: 5'6''

Default My work is doing a weight loss challenge ...

At first I was really excited to hear about the weight loss challenge the Wellness Team at my work is doing. They will even be bringing in Weight Watchers once a week at lunch time for those who want to pay for that. But then I started to worry about letting a co-worker know how much I weigh and just in general sharing my weight loss struggle at work. And I just don't like the idea of the person who does the weigh-ins to know how much I weigh. Although I know I could use the extra motivation, as they are always giving away really nice prizes.

Another bad thing is that our company's Wellness Team announced it was coming 2 weeks ago and still nothing has started. I've already lost 10 pounds in the past 2 weeks. They should should have gotten it started by this week, before everyone's New Year's resolutions fizzled out. I'm still going strong - and will be - but they shouldn't be dragging their feet on this.

Have any of you ever participated in a work weight loss program? If so, how did it go? I'm hoping they bring in an outside person to do the weigh-ins or I just don't think I can do it.
keegster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:50 AM   #2  
Jody -- Blue team

S/C/G: 205/ticker/145

Height: 5'4''

My work did a weight loss contest last year. It was based on loss of body fat and not weight so when i joined I didn't think everyone would know my weight. Well the first day of the contest I was in for a rude awakening. Not only did I have to weigh-in EVERYONE that was part of the contest could also see my weight. I was mortified. These were people i worked with everyday even my boss was part of the contest so all these people now knew how much i weighed. I went back to my desk after the first weigh in and cried.

But you know what it was probably the best thing i ever did. Everyone in the contest was also trying to loss weight so everyone was real supportive and encouraging. I knew that each week i would have to get on that scale and everyone would see exactly how much i had gained or lost so that defenatly kept me on track and made me push harded at eating right and working out. In the end it was definatly worth it.
joliren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:28 AM   #3  

OMG! I feel so bad for you. I'm worried about just one person knowing, I would freak out if everyone did!! I guess I'll have to wait to hear the details of how it's going to work. I can really see it helping me though, so I hope it's very private.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:38 AM   #4  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Wow, I would be PO'ed if I knew everyone knew my weight!

My work has a GREAT wellness program. Not only are they paying for ANYONE to lose weight, but they also pay so much a month for gym memberships and/or commercial programs like WW or Jenny Craig. (That's how I ended up doing Jenny Craig for two months--I'm not on it now.)

I know my company's main motivation is to lower healthcare costs, but it sure looks good for them too!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:58 AM   #5  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

we did a "biggest loser" contest at my work, and it was out there for everyone to see! it was mortifying but liberating at the same time -- AND as a bonus, people that I thought were about 170 - 190 lbs. in my mind, were WELL over 200 pounds! one girl was about 5'7 and i guessed 180 in my head and she was 225!!! It helped me put weights in perspective -- i know i don't have to weigh 110 lbs. to look good at my height & build.

It won't kill ya
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 11:41 AM   #6  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

You may be telling your highest weight to alot of your co workers but when I have to parade around in a bathing suit for work, I think to myself, "I won't always look like this. I won't always be this weight. I'm changing." That attutitude echange changed everything for me when the older children were teasing me the last all day that we swam
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 01:04 PM   #7  

I know I need to just suck it up and do it. I hope I can!
Old 01-10-2008, 01:50 PM   #8  
Aleecia

I participated in a weight loss challenge in 2006 and I actually won!
I like you was very hesitent to tell my weight, because I was the biggest one in the group. There were about 14 of us that participated in the challenge. The way we did it was to have one person record the starting weight for everyone. This person was not part of the challenge. To win you had to lose the biggest percentage of weight. So no one except the one person knew my exact weight. She just posted the percentages for everyone.

Best of luck to you, you can do it!!!
Angel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 04:51 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 236/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Mine's doing one, too, a "Biggest Loser" thing. I don't like the idea of a "race" so I'm not playing. I'm a very slow loser and I think that the prize $$$ incentive would be a bad thing for me; I'd skip meals, stress, etc. Hopefully they'll do another to keep people motivated, but not as a race. I don't necessarily think that's a healthy way to lose weight.
ChrissyBean is offline   Reply With Quote