Old 11-03-2007, 11:49 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Default Is it unrealistic to think I can lose 16 pounds in a month?

I was talking to my sister tonight and told her I wanted to lose 16 lbs by the time I go on vacation. Dec 5th. She thought that was to much to lose in such a short amount of time. What do you all think? Am I placing a unrealistic goal on my shoulders?
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 11:53 PM   #2  
baby steps

S/C/G: 285/285/healthy!

Height: 5'9"

The more weight you have to lose, the faster it can come off in the beginning.

16 pounds in a month is 4 pounds a week, which might be a stretch, but unrealistic? No, I don't think so. There are people who lose 5, 6, 7 pounds a week.

Best of luck to you, and I think it's really admirable of you to set this goal for yourself! Even if you don't quite meet it, it's still pounds gone that you'll never have to see, right?
xtrisaratops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 11:57 PM   #3  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

as sara said people lose that on here i'm averaging 4lbs a week over the last 9 weeks. just remember thought that if you start to do things that cause you to lose the 4lb a week then you need to keep at it cos if you stop i.e for your holiday they'll come back to haunt you with some new friends
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 12:29 AM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

It's certainly possible to lose that much in 4 weeks when you start out, but unlikely. I wouldn't actually plan for or expect it. Why not just get yourself started on a healthy eating/exercise plan and whatever happens, happens? If you stick to a healthy plan, and create a deficit you definitely will lose weight. Just how much, well there's no way on earth to know for sure. The only thing you can definitely plan for and contol is how many calories you consume and how much you exercise. In 4 weeks time you can have some really, really good habits down pat and you will be well on your way to a healthier and fitter you come time for your California trip. Good luck to you.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 12:41 AM   #5  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Robin said it perfectly.
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 12:58 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Yep, I was going to say just what Robin did!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 12:59 AM   #7  
Nicole

S/C/G: 261/226/140

I agree with Robin and Gale.

You do lose a lot of weight in the first couple of weeks especially, but once that water weight goes, the weight loss slows down.

As long as you're not setting yourself up for a meltdown if you don't reach that weight at that time - you know, realising a few days out that you're not going to get there and then blowing it then - then that's fine to set yourself that target. Just make sure that you reevaluate things after a couple of weeks and be aware that you have set a very ambitious target...

Good luck!
nicolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 03:17 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/130

If you're just starting out, anything is possible. Just don't count on it. I lost 11 lbs in two weeks when I first began and I have yet to gain that back because in those two weeks, I developed much healthier habits. It can be done. I've lost 14.5 lbs total in about a month.
althepirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 10:45 AM   #9  
Nogitsune

S/C/G: 195/ticker/140

Height: 5'7 3/4

It's possible. I had lost 30 in 6 weeks (boot camp). You just have to work at it and alot of cardio. (we got in trouble alot)
thenogitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 11:27 AM   #10  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I think there are a lot of problems with "goal by" dates for weight loss.

1. You can control how much you exercise and how much you eat, but how much and how fast you lose, depends on a lot of factors that are not under your direct control, and the progress doesn't always reflect the work you've put in. (It will eventually, but not necessarily according to your schedule).

2. If you get "behind schedule," it can tempt you to do stupid things to try to "catch up." Disordered eating patterns can become hard to give up once, because in the short therm they DO work. In the long run, they mess up your metabolism and put you at risk for health problems.

3. If you miss your target even by a tiny bit, it diminishes your sense of accomplishment. "Almost" never has quite the same sense of victory.

4. If all goes great and you meet your goal, it can set you up for making a new goal by date, and starting the process all over again, with all of the same downfalls. Each new attempt is less likely to succeed, and having that "I could do it before, why can't I do it now" feeling is very discouraging. And discouragement is weight loss's number one enemy.

5. Rapid weight loss requires that you make many changes in your life, so you have to realize you are not making one change (or one goal), but many.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to make a lot of changes in your life rapidly, but you have to realize that extreme and rapid changes are extremely difficult, so you have to be able to recognize successes when you see them. If you are the type of person who sees anything less than perfection as complete failure, then small changes and small goals are a much better plan. However, if you are a person who can see the small successes even if you don't meet every goal you have for the day, you may be better suited to making a lot of changes at once. Though you still can set the goal based on what you DO rather than what you lose. I think even for rapid weight loss, where you will have to pick a lot of difficult goals, it is still bettter to base your goals on actions not on results.

Just as an example, but say you set the following goals 1400 -1500 calories including 5 servings of fruits and veggies daily. 20 minutes on the treadmill 3 times a week, and 20 minutes of exercise bands 3 times a week.

Would that net you a 4 lb loss per week? Would this be very easy for you or so difficult for you that you're tempted to give up every day? Would you find yourself discouraged if you couldn't do it, or if you could do it, but only 3 lbs come off. If only 3 lbs (or less) come off doing this, would you decrease your calories, increase your exercise, or give up? If you lost nicely, but felt lousy, grumpy, and half-starved on your calorie range, would you increase your calories and accept a slower weight loss, cut the exercise out of the plan (and possibly also accept a slower weight loss) or would you get so discouraged you give up?

The hardest (but great) part of weight loss is that you have to learn a lot about yourself, and put it into practice using good old trial and error. You're both the lab rat and the scientist. If you don't give up, you will find what works for you.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 03:16 PM   #11  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I also agree that you shouldn't aim for a goal that may not be reachable for your body. I say do the best you can on your plan and see where you are in the end.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 04:01 PM   #12  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

It's possible because I lost 18 pounds my first month but I wouldn't expect it. Every week, I say loose between 1-2 pounds. If I get more, I'll be even happier but I'm not gonna force it.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 08:47 PM   #13  
FatCat

S/C/G: 270/244/135

Height: 5'2

I am curious why you selected 16 pounds. Have you been losing weight before or are you just starting out?

It is definately possibly and by all means try if you want to, but I think a better choice for your morale would be to set a goal that you absolutely have control over. Like, "I will plan my menus stay on plan every day until I go on vacation Dec 5". That way you can for sure hit your goal and the weight loss will be a bonus!
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 09:14 PM   #14  
Believe

Height: 5'7"

I think it's very achievable if you really stick with a plan. But any loss is a good loss!
melsfolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 10:29 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marseille View Post
I am curious why you selected 16 pounds. Have you been losing weight before or are you just starting out?

It is definately possibly and by all means try if you want to, but I think a better choice for your morale would be to set a goal that you absolutely have control over. Like, "I will plan my menus stay on plan every day until I go on vacation Dec 5". That way you can for sure hit your goal and the weight loss will be a bonus!
I chose 16 lbs bc I will be at exactly 250. I just thought it would be a nice way to leave for a vacation I am planning. I have started my diet about 2 months ago and have lost roughly 14 lbs since then, although I know I can work out harder and more often that what I have been. Mostly right now it's been diet change.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote