Old 09-15-2007, 07:40 PM   #1  

Default Belly button piercing even though I'm fat ???

I've always wanted to get my belly button pierced. And my friend just called and wants me to go with her on Monday when she get's her's done, and thinks I should get mine done too... I really want to... But do you guys think its weird if I do, cuz I'm fat? I've never seen an obease person have their belly button pierced, and I'm kind of embarrassed to show my stomach in public, especially if its a guy who does the piercing.

Should I just say screw it, I want it, and get it done? Or wait until hopefully some day I lose this weight?

Also, I don't know if any of you have yours done, or know anything about it, but will losing weight and my huge pregnant-like stomach effect my piercing (if I have it done now)??
lalique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 07:43 PM   #2  
FatCat

S/C/G: 270/244/135

Height: 5'2

I got my belly button pierced when I was a firm 17 year old and it's been with me through thick and thicker. It's actually been a little source of inspiration to me lately, because I am waiting for the day when I can just look down and see it without having to peek over my spare tire!
I say go ahead and do it if it's something that will make you happy. Another option might be to use it as a reward for a mini-goal, like achieving a certain weight or exercising.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 07:48 PM   #3  
FatCat

S/C/G: 270/244/135

Height: 5'2

Oh, I should have included this....
Looking down at my belly right now, I know this is kinda gross but I have one fat roll above my waist and one below my waist and when I sit down, they meet each other and my belly button gets squished in the middle. I would NOT want to have to try and heal a belly button piercing until that area was MUCH less constricted and got more air flow!
What I am trying to say here, Check your own belly-anatomy and make sure that there is enough room there when you sit and stand that it isn't going to get smothered. It takes a LOOOOOOOONNNNGGG time to heal,
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 07:53 PM   #4  

My belly-anatomy is perfectly round. I really do look like I'm 9 months pregnant. Nothing squishes together... So that shouldn't be a problem.
lalique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 08:44 PM   #5  

You want it, get it done. Dont' worry about the guy doing it -- that's his job and I'm sure he's seen worse things than a big belly!! I'm holding off on a tattoo until I lose weight, but as a reward to myself not as witholding anything. You never know what life brings, get it done -- dressed, only you will know but can track how much better it looks after every 10 lbs gone!!
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 08:56 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I knew a tattoo artist, and he said it really got to be just like a doctor. They really do see it all, and eventually, everyone's just a canvas. He told me the only person that made him a little uncomfortable, was a 76 year old woman who came in, and wanted a tattoo, because her mother had recently died.
All of her life, she had always wanted a tattoo, but said her mother would have never forgiven her for having a tattoo. After her mom passed, and a granddaughter had shown the lady her tattoo, she thought why shouldn't I have one if I want one, and picked a rose for her upper breast.

My friend said it wasn't that the lady's age bothered him, though it was kind of weird to see her just whip out a booby, but he was just so afraid of hurting her.

I've also seen HUGE women (even bigger than me) with tattoos all over, and in talking to them, they did not have them done when they were smaller.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 09:08 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 165/ticker/110

I think ur weight shouldnŽt stop u from doing things u want, but at the same time you can use it as motivation. So, I think it would be great if you give it yourself as a price when youŽve lost x pounds!
You get your belly button and it helps you lose weight.. isnŽt it great? Win-win situation!

I want a tattoo and IŽll get it done when I lose 10 kilos..
Rafaella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 09:20 PM   #8  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

I think you should do it if you want it!!!

Piercers work with EVERY body part you can imagine (tongues, nipples, all areas of the genitals and anus even) so your abdomen should be no issue for him!

That being said, do your research. Naval piercings are one of the most difficult to heal on any body, regardless of size. I have seen more than half the people I know who have had them done need to take them out due to infection or failure to heal (several hundred, as I used to date a tattoo artist and piercer).
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 09:24 PM   #9  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I would agree that incentives are great for weight loss, but you shouldn't put your life on hold either. Your friend wants to go on Monday, and if you want the bellybutton pierced now, go for it, and find something else for your motivational prize. If you want to wait and use it as an incentive, and just go with her for support, that's fine too.

One thing I did was make a sticker chart for each pound I lose. I plan a reward 5 and 20 lbs in advance, and write the reward next to the appropriate box. Every lb I lose, I get a sticker (immediate reward, even if a little lame) and a longer term reward. At each 5 lbs I give myself something small, worth about $5, like a magazine or book, but at the 20 lb marks I give myself something big - my next big reward is an MP3 player.

I am planning on getting a tattoo as a reward, eventually. Though I haven't decided whether it will be when I reach goal weight, or something sooner, maybe at the 100 lb mark.

Anyway, whatever and whenever you decide it's right for you, go for it!
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 09:31 PM   #10  
Doing it for my future!!!

S/C/G: 280/278/145

Height: 5'5"

Just do it!
OptimistK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 09:41 PM   #11  

I think that not waiting for a perfect weight - but celebrating our bodies and decorating them at any weight is a wonderful thing. I was always waiting until I lost weight to get my nose ring done, then one day I decided to just do it! Rather than wait for some mythical time in the future when my face will look how I imagined it should - I decided to do it and begin celebrating and appreciating my body just the way it was.

My piercing was the first step in a longggggg process to reclaim my body from all of those negative thoughts - it has fueled much change for me!!!

So you go for it if thats what you want
Marianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 09:43 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 215/186.5/130

Height: 5'3

Get it done if you want to. Dont let your weight stop you. I got mine down for my 14th B-Day when I was overweight. I just recently took it out because I just didnt like it anymore. I've never let my weight stop me from doing anything like that that ive wanted. Heck I have stretch marks on my back and stomach and I didnt let that stop me getting a lower back tattoo!
staciec878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 10:18 PM   #13  
Leah

S/C/G: 200/ticker/147

Height: 5'7''

Do It!! 100% Yes!
leah_0600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 10:57 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/145

I say go for it too! I do have to agree that you should be super careful about the healing process but that's whether you're overweight or not. I had mine pierced forever but eventually my belly rolls made it hurt too much. I'm pretty sure it's closed up by now.
Anyway, have fun!
Vanessa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 11:24 PM   #15  

Height: 5'4"

If you really want it you should go for it. Who gives a #$%^ what anyone thinks. Believe me - the person doing the piercing has seen it all. You don't have to walk around with your belly hanging out - do it for YOU because it will make YOU feel beautiful, playful, sexy - whatever.

I got my first piercing to celebrate when I hit 96 lbs - couldn't wait until 100 - and it has given me so much confidence.

Last edited by witchyonadiet; 09-15-2007 at 11:24 PM.
witchyonadiet is offline   Reply With Quote