You’ll find many discussions about yerba mate and how effective it is at helping with weight loss and fat burning. It is true that it does have a lot of potential to help regulate weight, but how does it shape up against the potent properties of the ever-popular green tea? Both contain different compounds that have different effects on the body, so let’s have a look at each of them and see how they compare.
Long been heralded as a ‘magic potion’ in fat burning and weight loss, this popular herbal tea does have a few potent ingredients that can help.
- Green tea contains the powerful compound pigallocatechin gallate, which has 200 times the antioxidant power of vitamin E. Although antioxidants themselves do not directly affect the process of weight loss, they provide the body with the nutrition it needs when it is processing body fat into energy.
- Green tea also hinders the production of an enzyme called amylase, whose role in the body is to break down certain carbohydrates during the digestive process. This process, however, can cause blood sugar levels to rise, leading to that all too familiar craving for something sweet at the end of a meal. So as this enzyme is slowed, it regulates glucose levels in the body and lowers the desire for sugar.
- Small amounts of caffeine are present in the tea, which have long been acknowledged to help burn fat by elevating the heart rate and metabolism, as well as providing additional mental and physical stimulation needed for exercise.
Yerba mate is similar to green tea in its effects on the body, but with a few slight differences.
- For one, yerba mate has a higher caffeine content, which will increase the metabolic rate in the body even more than green tea. It also contains other stimulants, such as theobromine, xanthine, and theophylline, which have been reported to have fewer side effects that are often seen with too much caffeine.
- Another advantage that yerba mate seems to have over green tea is its ability to improve the digestive process. It has been shown to hasten the production of bile in the body, helping to eradicate free radicals and toxins from the body. It also softens stool. This cleansing process is important for the regulation and clean running of the body as a whole–physically and mentally. If you feel good, you are more likely to be more motivated to take steps in your life to keep feeling good and maintain your body by eating healthily and exercising.
- Yerba mate also delays lactic acid buildup. Lactic acid is what causes the burning sensation in the body during exercise and can ultimately force you to stop. Delaying the build up of lactic acid will make it more comfortable and enjoyable to exercise for longer, and this will obviously be very beneficial to the fat burning process.
- One of the great benefits reported from yerba mate users is the ability to sleep soundly after drinking it–even with its stimulant properties. It has even been suggested that yerba mate deepens sleep, and deep REM sleep is vital to the body’s functions. Deep sleep gives the body time to carry out repairs and metabolize the fuel you have given it through the day properly and effectively. While this is not a direct way to burn fat, it will regulate the body and keep it in good working order.
So it appears as if both green tea and yerba mate have their own benefits to those who are looking to lose weight. It is always a good idea to check with your doctor before taking anything with stimulant properties, as these products may not be appropriate for those with certain medical conditions.