In order for our health and body to thrive, we should consume nutrition antioxidants. Nutrition, antioxidants and eating right in general are the keys to better health and living longer.
Why Are Antioxidants Important?
Antioxidants can fight what is known as free radicals. Free radicals are harmful substances that can destroy your cells, your organs and tissues. Free radicals are formed in three basic ways:
- naturally inside our bodies through oxidation
- from natural digestion and physical activity
- from outside sources such as environmental pollution
Antioxidants can help fight and treat some medical conditions including: coronary artery disease, some cancers, Alzheimerâ€™s disease and some arthritis related conditions.
Foods Filled with Antioxidants
Nutrition, antioxidants and vitamin needs are best found in the food you eat. Some examples of foods that are high in both antioxidants and vitamins are natural foods such as fruits and vegetables. Some vitamins and some minerals are also labeled as antioxidants. Some examples of these are:
- Vitamin C (oranges, apples, acai fruit and juices)
- Vitamin E (nuts such as almonds and peanuts and oils such as canola, corn and soybean)
- selenium (can be found in plants)
- flavonoids (which can be found in plants as well as fruits, teas and red wine).
You can also purchase supplements (daily vitamins or separate supplements). However, if you choose to go this route, remember it is harmful to take high amounts of any supplement. It may be best to discuss any supplement you wish to take first with your physician.
Our body is a like an automobile. It has different needs and each need must be met to keep the motor running correctly. A car needs gas, oils, etc. Our body needs basic nutrition, antioxidants, exercise and water.