The Master Your Metabolism plan is masterminded by Jillian Michaels—known for her role in the TV show The Biggest Loser. According to Michaels, toxins are found everywhere that cause hormonal imbalance. These imbalances can cause weight gain and the inability to lose weight. She recommends a mixture of diet and exercise to help combat these imbalances and jumpstart your metabolism.
The Key Points
The following points are the keys in the Master Your Metabolism diet:
- Eliminate anti-nutrients from your diet. Michaels defines anti-nutrients as additives and preservatives added to your food that offer no nutritional value. Examples include trans fat, refined grains, high fructose corn syrup, artificial sweeteners and MSG.
- Eat foods that help you burn fat. According to the Master Your Metabolism plan, these foods include fruits and vegetables that are low on the glycemic index, lean and organic proteins, and omega fatty acids.
- Include in your lifestyle a balanced diet, regular exercise and plenty of sleep.
- Eat organic foods whenever possible. However, certain foods such as thick-skinned fruits and vegetables can be safe even if they’re not organic.
- Avoid toxins by removing dangerous chemicals from your home.
- Eat four meals a day four hours apart: breakfast, lunch, snack and dinner.
- Stop eating after 9 p.m. and never eat carbohydrates late at night.
- Don’t stop eating until you’re stuffed. Once you are no longer hungry, you should stop eating.
- Each meal should include a balance of protein, carbohydrates and fat. Don’t exclude one type of nutrient for any other.
The Master Your Metabolism diet allows for the use of 10 different types of food. Michaels classifies these foods in the following manner:
- Legumes. These include foods like peas, beans and peanuts.
- Alliums. Includes onions, shallots and leaks.
- Meat and eggs. Fish is included under this classification.
- Brightly colored fruits and vegetables.
- Cruciferous vegetables. These vegetables include broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage.
- Leafy green vegetables.
- Nuts and seeds.
- Dairy, as long as it is both organic and low fat.
- Whole grains.
Sample Meal Plan
Breakfast: Scrambled egg whites with fried tomatoes and a grapefruit. Alternatively, you could have a cup of low-fat cottage cheese and an apple for breakfast.
Lunch: Southwest chicken salad—a recipe which is provided in Michaels’ book. Alternatively, lunch could consist of 5 oz. of flank steak with ½ cup of black beans.
Snack: 20 walnuts and an orange. As an alternative, replace the orange with baked corn chips. Just don’t have too many!
Dinner: Halibut skewers with eggplant, pepper and onions. For an alternate dinner plan, try five large shrimp added to as many green beans as you can handle.
Remember that the Master Your Metabolism diet doesn’t just include the diet. Use this plan in conjuncture with a daily exercise plan to help boost your metabolism for even greater weight loss. Note that the intensity of your workout may require you to consume more calories than the foods in this diet plan. In those cases, be creative with additions to your diet by following the Master Your Metabolism guidelines.