Shaping eyebrows is very important for creating a well-groomed look. An eyebrow shape can make or break the beauty of your face. Obviously, different facial types will call for different eyebrow shapes.
There are six main types of faces: oval, round, long, square, heart and diamond.
- An oval face has a forehead which is wider than the rest of the face, well defined cheekbones and it gracefully ends with an oval chin.
- A heart face is close to an oval face – the only difference is that an oval face has an oval chin and a heart shaped face has a more pointed chin.
- A round face is almost as wide as it is long, and the widest part is the cheeks.
- A long face has a forehead, cheekbones and a jaw of almost the same width and it has a tendency to have a prominent chin.
- A square face also has the same width all over, with a very strong squared jawline dominating the face.
- A diamond shaped face has a shorter forehead and is widest at the temples. It is not a very common facial type.
The first step in shaping your eyebrows is to determine your face type.
General Guidelines to Shaping Eyebrows
Before you start tweezing, it’s recommended that eyebrows be brushed up and any stray hair be cut using small scissors. It is very important not to overdo plucking. Over-plucked brows will ruin your appearance faster than anything else. Don’t be in a hurry and do literally one hair at a time.
Shaping Eyebrows to Compliment Your Face Shape
The main idea in shaping eyebrows according to your face type is to choose the most complimentary shape that will accentuate your unique beauty.
- An oval face: This type of face looks its best with soft angled shaped brows (Vanessa Williams)
- A heart face: If you have a heart-shaped face you can either choose the same eyebrow shape as women with oval faces, or you can go with softer round shapes. They will accentuate the heart shape of your face (Lisa Kudrow).
- A round face: High arched angled eyebrows will make a round face appear longer (Jewel).
- A long face: To make a long face appear shorter you can use flat shaped eyebrows (Brooke Shields).
- A square face: Strong angled at the arch eyebrows will help to balance the jawline (Cameron Diaz) or you can go with the curved shape recommended for diamond shaped faces (Salma Hayek).
- A diamond shape: The best choice for this facial shape will be curved shaped eyebrows to divert attention from the temple area.
If you are not sure what shape your face is and what eyebrow shape to choose, it might be beneficial for you to go to a professional. He or she will help you with shaping your eyebrows in the most complimentary way, and also show you how to keep your eyebrows in shape.