YOU: On a Diet - and other Oprah inspired diets Includes Dr Phil, Bob Greene, and YOU: On a Diet

Old 12-28-2005, 09:43 AM   #1  

Default Summer's Coming, support/challenge thread-1

Hi all! I think we all agree we'd like some kind of challenge to trigger us to get out of our holiday indulgences and move into summer with slimmer, healthier bodies.

Some us have trips we want to take, or short term goals we'd like to reach, so I thought we could break down the challenge maybe by month. If we go from January 2nd, the first Monday in January, until Memorial day, which is May 29th, our current challenge will last 21 weeks right? Someone double check me ? Then March 20th is the 11th week (which is also the week of teh first day of spring). Making it around half way. Right? So I think that works out well.

My idea is to choose overall goals for ourselves, then I can start a new thread the first of each month after this month. If you want you can then choose smaller goals for each month or just focus on your overall goal. This will allow us to personalize the challenge to our needs and stay connected as we have a great group of support here. Starting new threads each month will keep the thread from becoming so long. Sound good?

ANYONE IS WELCOME TO JOIN US AT ANYTIME

Last edited by MistySeptember; 12-28-2005 at 09:52 AM.
MistySeptember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 10:23 AM   #2  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Misty, these sound like great ideas! I'm really enthused about getting started and I'm not waiting til the new year, I am starting today!!! Last night I packed up a bunch of stuff for dh to take to work, cookies and candies etc and he was asking why and I told him that I really need to lose weight. His response was why bother when I have been trying for so long? Well my response was that I really haven't been trying, I give it my best for a couple of weeks and then go back to old bad habits and also I told him that my weight has just been creeping up slowly and that I needed to get back control of it. I'm not sure how supportive he will be, he's basically the type that as long as it doesn't disturb his life he doesn't really care. We'll see what his tune is when I really start losing noticeable amounts of weight. I started out right last night by taking my son out for a walk around the block after supper and I didn't eat after suppertime. This morning I had a healthy breakfast of oatmeal and am drinking a big glass of water right now.

My target date is my b-day, May 16. I'd like to be at 199 by then which is 36 lbs. This is a reasonable goal I think. It is just under 20 weeks so that is just 1.8 lbs a week roughly. I got on the scale this morning and I was at 235.4 lbs which is not my all time high but pretty close. I'm planning on eating healthy meals, cutting out processed foods, eating more fruits and veggies and drinking more water. As for exercise my goal is to exercise on every day that I don't work. I think I can be excused from not excercising on my work days as I work 12 hour night shifts and have another 1 1/2 hours in commuting time. I barely have time to sleep and spend a bit of time with my family before I have to be back to work! So those are my plans, what is everyone else going to do? Any definate plans or works in progress?
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 10:26 AM   #3  

So I am thinking about my goals. My mother in law gave me 10 weeks of WW for x-mas. She decorated and dated with the dates of each of my meeting dates 10 envelopes and tucked $12 in each one. I thought this was super nice and very thoughtful. So I know I will be able to coninue my meetings for awhile.

I refuse to pick a weight goal. I never seem to reach those goals. I am also going to aim low as far as exercise goals. Then if I do better I'll feel better, you know. I am going to pick non weight related things to focus on as well, I want to help myself in more ways than my weight.

Ok so here goes...my weeks will start on Tuesdays as that's when my WW is.

1) I will exercise a minimum of 3 times a week for 30 minutes. That would be 63 workouts. Each 30 minute session will earn me 25 cents in my "bank". I will continue to give myself $5 for each pound lost. But I think I am going to reset my bank since I had to raid it to pay for my last meeting LOL. I will try to figure out what I had in there for exercise and then also give myself $5 for every pound from my starting weight.

2) I will set aside "me" time at least 5 days a week. During this time I will journal, and focus on myself by relaxing and clearing my mind.

3) Each month I will focus on one of Doctor Phil's keys. I felt far more in control of the emotional eating when I did this.

Those are my main goals. I have some other sort of ideas I'd like to keep in mind.

My non weight goals will involve creating a better budget so we can pay off some stuff and do some stuff on the house. I want to work on getting organized and keeping up on my house work and stuff. I am going to spend sometime today with my journal and focus on that. I may add monetary rewards to my bank for meeting those goals.

I would like to try my 12 week walking program which would be a total of 72 workouts in 12 weeks I think. I will play this one by ear as my ankle often acts up since I tried this the last time.

I will stick to my points and make the best out of the 10 weeks I have been given. With the exception of one day per month where I will allow myself a "free day". I read an article that people who schedule "breaks" in thier "diet" do lose as much overall and have less negative feelings than those who "fall" off thier diet. I figure there is a holiday each month, if I know ahead of time I will splurge I can curb it at that and not say screw the whole week.

I also got from my inlaws a gift card for JC Penney. I will not use that until my 10 weeks for meetings are up. Maybe by then I will be a smaller size

Is everyone ready? 2006 will be a great year!!!!!
Old 12-28-2005, 10:29 AM   #4  

Great Job JEN!!! You must have posted while I was working on my post...it only took me 40 minutes with the kids interuppting LOL!! Your goals are geat. It fabulous that you are starting right away! Good for you!
Old 12-28-2005, 10:36 AM   #5  
Jen

I think your goals are great as well. Your MIL sounds wonderful and so thoughtful for giving you such a great gift. She must realize how important it is for you to keep going with WW. It worked so well for you before, the holidays screwed everyone up. It is probably a good idea not to get fixiated on a weight goal, I've had the same thing where I've never met a weight goal ever. My husband got a gift card from WalMart for $200 from his boss as a bonus, maybe I will save that and use it for clothes when I meet my goal. That would be a good incentive as I have got very few decent clothes. I refuse to spend a ton of money on clothes which no matter what look nasty because I am so fat. Well I think we are both off to a great start!
Old 12-28-2005, 02:35 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 198/170/130

Height: 5'3

Hi ladies-

Here we are again LOL. I don't know what goals to set. I think since I cant exercise yet again I'll focus on eating more protein in January and go from there. Also, I am setting a gosl of getting to 155 by the end of January.

Love and Light
Nikki

Last edited by Nikki128; 12-28-2005 at 02:46 PM.
Nikki128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 03:12 PM   #7  

Hey Nikki-So great to have you on board! How's the foot?
Old 12-28-2005, 03:14 PM   #8  

Hi Misty -

The foot is still healing. It feels a bit better since I am staying off it. However, as soon as I start walking around more it hurts again. I'm taking my boyfriends advice and trying to rest it as much as possible. How are things by you ?

Love and Light
Nikki
Old 12-28-2005, 03:21 PM   #9  

Good, you do need to stay off it!! BF is right!

Things here are pretty fabulous right now, I'm slacking off LOL

Kids are napping and the ones I watch left for the day. Everyone was pretty good today so over all it was a great day Yesterday the boy I watch scratched my son in the face and broke the skin. But he hd been at his dad's and i have noticed a difference in how they behave when they are with thier dad.

Have a super day!
Old 12-28-2005, 09:29 PM   #10  

My goal is going to be 235 by May 29th. I haven't been that weight in 2 years, and we are talking about renewing our vows this fall, and it would be great to not look like a big fat blueberry (our colors will be blue and silver). So that is my goal for this challenge.
eeyoredja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 10:24 PM   #11  
Jen

Hello all. I had a really good day. Ate very healthy and didn't eat any junk or sugar. I'm working tonight and I brought some peas, carrots, turkey, a banana and a tangerine with me and going to drink lots of water. So I've got no excuse to get into any junk food or hit the vending machine. Hope everyone had a great day!
Old 12-29-2005, 09:07 AM   #12  

eey- That sounds like a great goal. You seem to know what you have to do.

Jen- good job on bringing the fruit in
Old 12-30-2005, 09:08 AM   #13  

Good MOrning!!!

Glad you found us Erin!!!!

Jen you are doing so well!!!!

Far better than me. I am still noshing my way through everyday waiting for the 2nd! So bad. But we're not done with x-mas, we have one mroe to go. We have zero healthy food in the house right now nad need to do a major shopping trip. SO I am just eating what is on hand...mostly the kids' stuff.

Well I got like 2 hours of sleep. DD (2 1/2) was up barfing all night. She dirtied all of her bedding, all of the bedding in the spare crib in our room a couple times until we were out of bedding to put in it. She wanted to sleep with us but we have a feather bed and down comforter and you can't wash those, so DH had her with him in the recliner for a while. Then instead of sheets we just laid a blankt on teh bottom of the crib and gave her one to cover up with. I felt so bad for her. I had to take a shower with her once b/c her hair was so nasty, she was shaking so bad. So, it was my job to run up and down the stairs letting the dogs out (they figured since we were all up they should do the potty dance in the hallway every 20 minutes), get wash clothes and clean bedding, motrin, drinks for DH. It was a fun night. But you know, my husband was very kind nad caring and helped the whole time too.

Lucky for me the kids come at 10 today instead of 5:30. Plus, DH took the day off and can help me once he wakes up. DD was up and ready to go at 8.

Well I need to get going for the day. Tons to do and little time. Have a great day everyone.
Old 12-31-2005, 09:35 AM   #14  

Morning Ladies-

I want to Wish everyone a healthy happy and thin New Year. I have been doing pretty good this week so far I took off 3 of the 5 pounds I gained. I am just hopping I can keep it up. I am spending the weekend at the boyfriend's and he makes it so easy to over eat. We are going for chinese tonight which I will only eat a little of. I figure if I stick to small portions it should be ok.

Love and Light
Nikki
Old 01-01-2006, 02:32 AM   #15  
Jen

Well Misty your congrats were a bit early in coming as I spent most of Thursday pigging out! What happened is that I worked Wednesday night, was home Thursday and back to work Friday night. I think it really threw me off because I couldn't sleep on Thursday because my son was home and dh had to work. I compensated by eating to keep myself sane and awake. Also TOM is coming and I seem to have about one day where I just want to eat everything in sight. Friday was not too bad and Saturday was okay eating wise so I don't feel bad about it all. I know I am still on the right track and I'm not going to let a day or 2 throw me off my goal. I wanted to take my son out for walks again but I'm too wiped when I work. Today though I summoned the energy after I woke up to go outside with him and do some snow shovelling so that was decent exercise. My dh was an absolute grouch today, it was almost nice to get away from home to come to work. He was being grumpy because our son had an accident in the middle of the night and woke him up and he didn't get back to sleep well. Well excuse me! I was up all night working and got about 4 good hours of sleep today. What a martyr.

Misty - sorry to hear that dd was sick, I've been there too! We all got sick about 3 Christmas's ago, couldn't move barely and would start barfing and having diarrhea at the same time, it was quite horrible. I hope she is better now and that no one else got sick.

Nikki - good job with losing the 3 lbs. How was the Chinese?