YOU: On a Diet - and other Oprah inspired diets Includes Dr Phil, Bob Greene, and YOU: On a Diet

Old 11-03-2006, 06:18 AM   #1  

Default You on a diet!

I caught this on Oprah yesterday and quite interesting. Also there is a special tonight on Discovery Health. The book is by Drs Michael F. Roizen and Mehmet C. Oz. Kathy
spcdcider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 09:26 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

They have web site. http://www.realage.com/doctorcenter/intro.aspx
I'm going to see how this works.

I'll try to pick up the book over the weekend, I don't usually buy books but this one actually looks pretty good.

They have a 2 week meal planner for you, where you can print out recipes, menus and a shopping list. I printed out the first week just to see if I can follow it.

I'm not good with following a "diet". I work much better from a list "you can eat these foods freely, you can eat these foods in moderations, don't eat these foods often, and never ever eat these foods" But I still eat too much, moderation? What's that?

Too bad I don't get Discovery Health so I'll miss out on the special tonight. How sad.

Sarah
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 09:36 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 179/149/127

Height: 5 ft. 7 in

Default what a great show!

I thought the show yesterday on oprah was really, really good! I listen to Dr. Oz on the radio when I can and always learn from him. I am going to buy the book soon. The program is actually sounds very close to the Fat Smash Diet, which I have dabbled in. Both programs are similar and both seem very sensible, straightforward and more about a "lifestyle" than a "diet"

Anyone want to start a support thread for "You, on a diet" ?
olivia86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 09:37 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 179/149/127

Height: 5 ft. 7 in

Default Similar to Fat Smash

I think that Dr. ian and Dr. Oz have very similar philosophies. WHat does anyone else think?
olivia86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 11:52 AM   #5  

I have been doing the fat smash diet. I agree in the foods are similar. I like how Dr. Oz gives so much detail and explanation of things. I ordered the book from ebay. I like their whole approach on caring for your body. I hope to see the special tonight. Oprahs site has good links regarding yesterdays show. Discoveryhealth.com also has some information. Kathy
Old 11-03-2006, 01:21 PM   #6  

I don't catch Oprah often, but I happened to watch yesterday and have heard of Dr. Oz thru my DS. I found it quite interesting and am going to go on Barnes & Noble and order their book. I was doing WW since Jan. and fell off the wagon in July I think. I have put on 13 pounds due to my own laziness and am tired of fighting with the scales. I like the fact that they tell you to only measure your waist and forget the scales. I'm going to give it a shot. God I'm so tired of fighting this fat everyday of my life!! I have definitely got to make a lifestyle change-I'm 49 and not getting any younger. It totally grossed me out when I saw the "whatever that thing was" for a person who was 40 pounds overweight. YUCK!!!
ripples57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 08:34 AM   #7  
GAGIRL

S/C/G: 285/242/170

Height: 5'4"

I saw the show also. When I saw the 'Omentum" I was shocked. I am a nurse and never knew there was such a thing!! WOW That one was from some one only 30 or 40 lbs overweight and here I am 99 lbs from goal does that mean mine is double where does it all fit gross!! Needless to say I ate very well yesterday lots of fiber and I did lose 1.5 I had been at a stand still. I am going to order the book today.
debbie06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 02:37 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 165/see ticker/125

Height: 5'6

i love the idea of this 'diet'

i started it today and i am amazed at how much food had the five 'killers'!! Here is my menu so far!

B- 20 grapes
L- whole wheat pasta with low sugar marinara and a quorn cutlet

thats all i have had so far (actually the pasta is cooking right now) but i'm pretty excited!
RocknRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 05:53 PM   #9  
WW Moderator

I'm reading the book right now, and it is really great! If you order it from Amazon, you get a free workout DVD with it. I haven't watched the DVD yet.

Allycat, I love your I'M on a diet sig!
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 07:08 PM   #10  

I just logged on to see if anyone was reading this book. I just got it from Amazon yesterday and cannot put it down! I went shopping today and plan on beginning tomorrow. I can't wait! I think a support thread is a good idea.
WaistingAweigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 07:37 PM   #11  

The show is again on now on Discovery Health. The Discoveryhealth.com has a few shows listed for the month.
Kathy
Old 11-04-2006, 08:59 PM   #12  
WW Moderator

I watched the show and it was really good. This show is a one-of, isn't it? It would be a good series.

For those of you that missed it, it will be on again on the 17th. You can sign up on this page for an email reminder.

http://health.discovery.com/tvlistin...=fsmain_ticker
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 12:36 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 165/see ticker/125

Height: 5'6

jennifer: thanks, i thought it was fitting

Ok, i have read up on the 'diet' and finished my first full day. I learned so many things that were bad for me... things i thought were ok to eat! My Special K Protein Plus, my Sugar Free Hard Candy, and my cool whip are all big no no's. This is going to be harder than i thought!

I was reading the Oprah message boards and ofcourse people were going crazzzy. One person said that Dr. Oz doesnt even eat the whole wheat grains except for on special occasions- is this true?

Day 1 went well (if i can eat that whole wheat goodness!)
B- 20 grapes
L- whole wheat pasta with low sugar marinara and a quorn cutlet
S- slice of cheese with 4 triscuits (is cheese ok? no bad ingredients...)
D- veggie burger with no bun- just lettuce, tomato, and a little bit of shredded cheese. Also had a cup of steamed broccoli (no butter)
S- half a cup of canned pumpkin with splenda

when i look back at the day i cant remember once being hungry which is amazing for my crazy appetite!! This is exciting- Right now my waist is exactly 33 inches- what do you think my goal should be? I was thinking 28 but i'm not quite sure!!
RocknRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 09:27 AM   #14  
300+ Chick

Thumbs up

I don't have Discovery Health channel ..shoot! My sister will order the book today for me from amazon. Am looking forward to this!!

Good luck everyone !
Liliann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 09:31 AM   #15  

Can not wait for the book to get here. Now to order a good pedometer! Anyone have the Omron HJ-112?